Upping my cals - Is it the right thing to do?

Options
Hey all,
Well when I first started MFP I had 20lbs to lose. I've lost 11 so far, so I have 9lbs left to go. I was on a lose 1.5lb a week goal.

For the past 2 weeks or so I have had quite a few cheat days as it's been my birthday & my self control has gone a bit down hill. Out of about 14 days I've probably had about 6-7 cheat days. Suprise, suprise, I haven't lost any weight within this time & the scales have stayed the same.

Now I'm actually thinking, because I've stuck to my diet for at least 7 days, I should of lost at least a pound? Or am I wrong? So anyway I'm thinking maybe I'm also not losing any more weight because my cals are quite low (at about 1300) So I'm thinking about setting my goal to lose 1lb a week instead of 1.5lbs. Do you think this is the right thing to do? Or shall I stick to my 1300 cals and put the no weight lose down to all of my cheat days?

Thank you

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i have just posted this

"My calories are set to lose 1/2 a week , and i'm thinking of going on Maintenance caloris for a month as my weight is not moving, i have been doing this for 2 years and i think my body needs a rest.. i only have 10-15 to go and i know i can't eat less..
    just not sure what to do

i started my journey in 2009 at 189lb at my lowest i got down t 149 ( currant weight 1590 ) i started exercising twice a week 8 months ago ( i usualy eat back my exersie calories) just frustrated .. sorry to vent but it had to be done! "

be intrested to see what relpies we both get!
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    if you're at 1300 calories with not much results, don't go lower. Only 2 options are exercise more, and/or reduce your carb intake while maintaining your current caloric intake
  • BrownSkinBeauty1990
    BrownSkinBeauty1990 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i have just posted this

"My calories are set to lose 1/2 a week , and i'm thinking of going on Maintenance caloris for a month as my weight is not moving, i have been doing this for 2 years and i think my body needs a rest.. i only have 10-15 to go and i know i can't eat less..
    just not sure what to do

i started my journey in 2009 at 189lb at my lowest i got down t 149 ( currant weight 1590 ) i started exercising twice a week 8 months ago ( i usualy eat back my exersie calories) just frustrated .. sorry to vent but it had to be done! "

be intrested to see what relpies we both get!

Aww it's so disheartning isn't it?! I'm hoping we get some good answers too!
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

It says here if you have 20 lbs or less to lose, you should aim for 0.5 lb loss a week.

Also, you need to make sure you're eating enough calories, which may also be the reason why you haven't lost anything.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I started MFP needing to lose 30 pounds. I was regularly losing 1-2 pounds a week eating 1200 calories a day, lost 15 pounds, then suddenly WHAM! I hit a plateau. Three weeks into the plateau, I upped my calories from 1200 to 1400 and I started losing again, though ever so slowly. Unfortunately, it seems when you get in to the final weight loss stretch you need to readjust your goals and 1/2 pound a week sounds right. 1-2 pound/week losses just won't be happening anymore. It is frustrating - I definitely need to lose another 13 pounds so I just have to suck it up and wait it out.
  • BrownSkinBeauty1990
    BrownSkinBeauty1990 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. Yes I think I'm definatly going to up my calories then. I'll try it at lose 1lb week, if that doesn't work then I'll move to lose 0.5lb a week.
    Thank you again x