Strength Training for Beginners?

Options
I have been on MFP and exercising now regularly for 7 weeks. I am starting to get some definition on my body (that is, you can tell where my actual arm ends and the flap of skin that waves goodbye long after I've stopped waving starts). The exercise DVDs I do incorporate upper body as well as lower, but I would really like to start some strength training to a) build muscle to up my metabolism and b) to hopefully firm up the skin in my trouble areas so I won't have quite as much loose skin when I get to my goal weight. I've purchased 2-two pound water balls and two 5 pound handweights. So...now what?

How many reps and sets should I be doing? What types of exercises should I be doing to work on my flabby arms? And do I need heavier weights? Please help!

Replies

• BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP and exercising now regularly for 7 weeks. I am starting to get some definition on my body (that is, you can tell where my actual arm ends and the flap of skin that waves goodbye long after I've stopped waving starts). The exercise DVDs I do incorporate upper body as well as lower, but I would really like to start some strength training to a) build muscle to up my metabolism and b) to hopefully firm up the skin in my trouble areas so I won't have quite as much loose skin when I get to my goal weight. I've purchased 2-two pound water balls and two 5 pound handweights. So...now what?

How many reps and sets should I be doing? What types of exercises should I be doing to work on my flabby arms? And do I need heavier weights? Please help!
  • stacystar
    stacystar Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    First -- You are Awesome!!! What a wonderful feeling and sight to behold--are you constantly touching your muscles and thinking--I did that!!! Yippy!!!

As far as the questions? I'm not an expert and I don't want to say the wrong thing--but someone correct me if I'm wrong. I think you will either need to up the reps and lift the same amount or up the weight and lift the same number or less to start (don't want to hurt yourself) of reps.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I can finally help! I started in January and can tell you that Strength Training really works.

Low(er) weight - high reps - but what I learned is you must slowly increase the weight to see progress. Proper form is important - so if you are not sure about an exercise look it up. You should be doing all muscle groups to fatigue. No pain, No gain!!

For arms -
    Biceps - curls are easy and obvious. Don't forget to do the ones that start from the bottom and only go half way up!
    Triceps - Dips off a step or coffee table, Kickbacks and Triceps pushups (same as traditional except hands are under your chest / pulled in so elbows are under your shoulders)
    Chest - lay on your back and do chest flys. Don't forget to squeeze shoulder blades together when bringing arms down.
    Shoulders - Standing Shoulder Press - basically lift arms above your head - starting with arms bent so dumbbells are resting on your shoulders and wrists are above your elbows. oh, look it up....:smile:

Legs -
    Squats & Lunges - all kinds all varieties - they are the best - I do over 200 of them in one hour!

Hope this helps! If not, ask more specific questions and I will try harder!!
  • artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Exactly what pmkelly says! I just started with a trainer a month ago & she just has me do max reps for everything because I'm a beginner. So just do it as many times as you can stand, then repeat twice more with a 60 second recovery period in between.

Good luck!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    and when we say Max Reps - No lie. It hurts like y'ou know what' while you are doing them - but just remember your body can handle so much more than your brain. Aim for 1 hour total to do all exercises - that will give you a guide for making sure you are doing enough.
  • lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    I'll just go with what we do in a strength class at the YMCA where I go. We do 15 reps of each move. I started out with a pair of 5 lbs and 3 lbs weights. I found out that for some things I needed less weight because I hadn't built up enough strength. I interchanged them for awhile and now I pretty much do the whole class using the 5lb weights and if I feel the need I may do the last 3-5 reps w/ the 3lb weights.

This website has a bunch of pictures and most of those we do in our class or a version of it.
    http://www2.gsu.edu/~wwwfit/upperbod.html

- we do 15 on all these and interchange w/other strength moves, but by the end we've probably done each set of 15 about 3x's.

Tricep kickbacks
    Bicep curls
    Arm front raise
    shoulder press
    lateral raises etc

Also, I've noticed we will do a bunch of lower body work and then move to the upper body, go back to lower body etc. STRENGTH TRAINING IS AWESOME!!! You will totally see it shaping your body. Just be sure to listen to your body! You don't want to bear more weight than you can..take it slow so you don't injure yourself. Hope that website helps!
  • gameset
    gameset Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    you can google strenghth training for women- and hundreds of sites will pop up- they have exercises you can do, and talk about reps and all that good stuff.

Find one you like, and then copy the xercises and go to it, girl!
    :wink: