Gym Membership Worth It?

craftylatvian
craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
I usually workout at home to some DVDs and started the C25K also, which I do outside. I don't have any equipment at home except for kettlebells. I was thinking of joining a local gym for the use of cardio equipment but wondered if it's worth it. It would be $20.83/month.
Here is the facility: http://www.freeland-sportszone.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=57
They also have a bunch of classes, from Zumba to Thai Kickboxing and the class cost is $3.00 for members, $8.00 for non-members.
There is a community center near me that has a track you can use for free, and I thought I saw an exercise bike in one of the rooms but am not sure if anyone can use them for free. So that is my other option, a no-cost center.
So, do I join the gym and pay a monthly fee or stick with the free community center? On days when I am too stiff to do the C25K I would like to at least get some cardio in with a bike or eliptical. Nobody I know has a bike or eliptical I can use or I would go to their house and work out.

Replies

• marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    I believe it's worth it. I find I get my best workouts when I do a class. I work harder to keep up and never quit before it's over.

$21/month? I bet you would have spent that and more on foods that you have now given up.

My hubby and I pay $60 a month. That's two lunches in a week that we now eat at home.

DO IT!
  • MelsDiet
    MelsDiet Posts: 69
    I also believe its worth it :-) I'll be joining our local gym again in the next couple of months once the bills have settled down a bit (they all seem to have come in at once) I'll be paying roughly £30 a month and for that I get use of the gym, swimming pools and all the classes.

I cant wait :-)
  • SandraMay1982
    SandraMay1982 Posts: 328
    dude. $20 a month.

I was at a gym. granted it has gym / classes / pool facilities for the full membership and it was $20 a week!

I have changed gyms and now pay $24 every two weeks *fortnightly* for the same as the other gym offers.

I actually couldn't justify the $20 a week any more because i moved further away and my son picks up every little bug in their child care facilities. even with the new gym and him being sick I feel better because I am paying half of what I did before and saving in travel costs. etc.

I think it's worth it. especially if you think "I have paid for this. i better use it!"
  • corieueber
    corieueber Posts: 72 Member
    gosh l wish l lived where you do - gym membership here is Australia is a lot more, l'm looking at around $18 a week. I'd say join but l love the classes to keep me motivated and cardio/weights to use when l am there between classes.
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    I think it depends on how motivated you are to do your own thing. If you like to go outside running, cycle, walk or do toning sessions at home then your not going to get much more for your money at the gym.

If however, you struggle to get outside when it's grey/raining, struggle to motivate yourself, would prefer to exercise inside, would prefer to exercise with a group or trainer or don't have access to toning equipment at home then a gym is the place for you.

I keep thinking about joining one because I like the Les Mills classes but everything else I do is outside or at home and I'm quite strict in making myself exercise so it would be a waste of money for me.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    I would say "hell yah" - if you use it...... and they dont try and lock you into 6 month or 12 month contracts....and I do agree with some of the others - $20 sounds good - I pay $11 a week - and the new Les Mills gym that just opened down the road from me (literaly on the next corner) charges $25 a week (and wants you to sign up for 12 months)....... so I will stick with my el cheepo gym where I am very happy :-)
  • SandraMay1982
    SandraMay1982 Posts: 328
    yeaaap. contracts are bad. I had to pay $99 to get out of the contract for my $20 a week gym.

I have no contract for my $24 every two weeks gym. can cancel any time and even put my membership on hold if i ever need to for up to 6 months!
  • deborahdnc
    deborahdnc Posts: 2 Member
    I hate to exercise! That being said, I love the gym. My husband and I joined a month ago and I can already see a difference. I have more energy and can start to see some muscle definition. Our membership fees are $65 a month which is a discount because we signed a contract for a year. The contract helps to keep me motivated because I hate to waste money more than I hate to exercise. Good luck!
  • cconeill
    cconeill Posts: 54 Member
    Worth it!!! I am soo much more motivated at a gym than home! Go for 20 a month is CHEAP
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Thanks everyone for the replies. The gym is like a community center gym and they have great equipment and classes, even a daycare you can drop your kids off at when you are working out (I don't have kids, only 2 cats!) Plus, their snack bar has power drinks, healthy snacks, all for only $1.00 each.
    Since Michigan has such unpredictable weeather, it would be nice to have somewhere to go and workout if I don't want to do it at home. Plus, yesterday I wanted to do another C25K day, but my knee is acting up and a ride on a stationary bike would have been prefect for me to get some cardio in.
    Thanks again everyone!!!
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    I joined the Y, I paid $65 a month but that's for our entire family of 5. I make use of the workout room or the pool 5 days a week, and use the pool with my kids another 2 or 3 times during the summer. My teenaged exchange student uses the gym or workout room a couple times a month. It is a great use of our money - we go to the Y if we are too broke to go somewhere else, LOL!

When I pay for something, I tend to use it as much as I can to get my money's worth! But not everyone is like that.... I have a relative who paid almost $1500 for a membership to some fancy gym (for a year) and she only went a couple times! Wish I could waste money like that, LOL!
  • PJS323
    PJS323 Posts: 115
    It is totally worth it. I pay $60 a month, plus a trainer. When I wear my heart rate monitor during a class, I noticed I burn about 75% of the calories I do with my trainer, so for free it's worth it. Plus if the weather is bad, you can workout indoors. Take advantage of the classes. It sounds like it is worth the money! Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.