Compulsive Eater

Options
Hi everyone,
It is my first day using this website and I am trying to get my weight under control. I am a compulsive eater and I know it - it goes through waves. Often times, my eating habits are an indicator for me that I am not feeling well or that I am stressed - I eat I eat I eat without even being hungry and it's not as big as a binge but it is compulsive eating in the sense that I don't even taste what I am eating and I can't stop for those few minutes. Does anyone else have the same issue? How do you deal with it? I have read books... I have tried different techniques to cope and to distract myself when I am stressed but it hasn't work so far... The only thing I haven't tried is seeing a therapist!!! Although i am not sure if I have the patience for that...

Let me know if there are any kindred eating spirits out there!

Replies

• breadaddict
    breadaddict Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    It is my first day using this website and I am trying to get my weight under control. I am a compulsive eater and I know it - it goes through waves. Often times, my eating habits are an indicator for me that I am not feeling well or that I am stressed - I eat I eat I eat without even being hungry and it's not as big as a binge but it is compulsive eating in the sense that I don't even taste what I am eating and I can't stop for those few minutes. Does anyone else have the same issue? How do you deal with it? I have read books... I have tried different techniques to cope and to distract myself when I am stressed but it hasn't work so far... The only thing I haven't tried is seeing a therapist!!! Although i am not sure if I have the patience for that...

Let me know if there are any kindred eating spirits out there!
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome!
    I am an emotional eater. I get board and I want to eat, if I am tired I tend to eat too much, stress makes me want to eat, etc….. When I am mad….really mad….that is when I do my worst damage. I will eat mega amounts of crap when I am mad. (I need to learn to just cuss more at those times to keep my mouth busy instead lol….just kidding hehehe)
    I am at home alone most of the time. I only go out on Thursdays and Fridays. I go to the beauty shop on Thursdays and to my TOPS meetings Friday mornings. I will do my shopping those two day also.
    I do my best to stay busy during the days I am at home to keep from being board. I like to play MahJongg and Yahtzee on computer. I also make tags with my Paint Shop Pro. When I am not on my computer I like to do the Sudoku puzzles. Keeping my mind and hands busy really help me a lot.
    Good luck and again welcome.
    :flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Me too. . . the good news is that you can learn to change this habit. (although I have my days. . .)

Keeping busy is important. It was really hard for me, because I think I had emotions that I'd been "eating" my whole life. And, if you don't eat them, you have to feel them. I would actually have nights that I planned on crying, just like I used to have nights I planned on eating.

For me, exercise helps. It allows me to spend "me" time, and you can't eat while you're working out. It helps me deal with stress in a different, and hopefully healthier way.

Also, and I'm just saying this from my recognition of your screen name. . . I also found out that I have a gluten intolerance. I gave up wheat (hard, so hard) and no longer have screaming simple carb cravings. It might be worth a try for you. (and I know everyone's different, it's just worked so well for me that I can't help but mention it).

Welcome, and good luck.
  • corin42
    Options
    Hello:happy: ,

This is my first post also, I totally understand what you are going through! I am also a compulsive eater and am at my horrible worst when I am angry. Going to a therapist can help if the therapist happens to be any good.. if they are not it's an expensive exercise! For me I realised that my eating was linked to unhealthy ideas of punishment and rewards, instilled by family and culture. Unfortunately the realisation does not lend to a result!
    However, since joining here I am finally able to control my compulsions! I realise when I'm upset I'm not really hungry and even if I am, I drink green tea or water until it is meal time. I even started eating breakfast, something I have not done in 15 years. I find also if I eat all my meals I don't binge (as much) and if I do I try to binge on healthy food so it doesnt satisfy. Looking through the forums here is the best motivation for me when I am flagging and I read great tips, like how to control cravings for trigger foods.
    Anyway, there are many kindred eating spirits out here! Thank you for your post :smile:
  • lisajtxoxo
    Options
    Hi and welcome, Breadaddict!! :bigsmile:

I used to be a compulsive and emotional eater as well. I gained a lot of weight in college and bartending at a restaurant didn't make it any easier. Not to mention, I live with my boyfriend who can eat whatever he wants and still look great, so there are always tempting foods in the house. But I have finally stuck with dieting and exercising and I have lost a little over 30 pounds. I'm almost at my goal weight!!

They say if you can stick to a diet for three weeks you should be able to stick with it for much longer. And believe me, the first three weeks are always the hardest. So start eating in moderation and only when you are hungry. Eat to live, don't live to eat.

I still get stressed out and want to snack, but instead of grabbing for those french fries, I eat a healthy snack or drink a glass of water. I still eat 5-6 times a day, but the meals are only 200-300 calories at max, if even that. I never eat fried food anymore, and I'm very disciplined about it. I watch my calorie, carb, salt, and sugar intakes. I learned a lot from attending a few Weight Watchers classes. Remember, a diet is not just changing your eating habits, it's a complete lifestyle change. It takes a lot of will power and motivation. I have been dieting for months now and I used to eat all day long, but since my stomach has shrank, I get full faster and I eat less. My body has adjusted to the lesser intake of food and I don't crave food all day long anymore. You will soon do the same. If you can, add exercise... you can lose weight without it, but exercising can accelerate your weight loss and give you more energy. It also makes you feel better!!

When I wanted to eat something that I shouldn't, I would look at old pictures of myself and it would remind me why I was dieting so I wouldn't indulge. Find something to motivate you. I also used to keep a picture of my chubby self on the fridge so every time I opened that door I would remember that I don't want to look like that so I had to eat healthy. You don't have to starve yourself, just eat in moderation and make good choices. Good luck and best wishes!!
  • breadaddict
    breadaddict Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow! Fabulous feedback! Thank you so much ladies... it always helps to hear other peoples' stories and their coping mechanisms. Thankfully, I love to work out and do so for an hour about 5 times a week and most people who see me don't think I have a weight problem... but i DO!!! I admire people's discipline and am never able to stick with a "diet" for even more than two days. I did try to give up wheat since I have done a lot of reading that wheat and sugar are not good for anxiety to begin with so it is more likely to eat compulsively when eating these foods. The minute I restrict myself it is a disaster!!! But all in all, I think it is about being in a good state of mind... positive thoughts... having that determination and motivation to make changes in your life that will make you happy. But the question is... DO I HAVE TO WAIT??? :) Patience is a virtue!!!