Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Cardio and Weights

MeekMeals
MeekMeals Posts: 517 Member
Should cardio and weights be done on the same day. If so, should it be after your strength training?

Thanks
Tameka

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    For me, yes, and cardio after weights.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    It's depends on how much you're doing. If your cardio routine is 5 days, and your lifting is 4, you have to. But if they're both 3 or something, It's better to do them on separate days. Yes to cardio after lifting. It's not going to kill you to do them both on the same day though :)
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    I read on a website that weights should be done before cardio. Its somthing to do with the muscles being ready to burn more fat after doing weights. I dont see why you shouldnt do them the same day but you should alternate muscle groups. Upper half one day and lower half the next. It gives the muscles time to repair themselves.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    I do my cardio on some of my weight training days, but not all. Sometimes I do fasted cardio in the morning and do weights in the evening. But if I'm doing them back to back, I do weights first and cardio afterwards always.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Yes, the can both be done on the same day. Weight 1st & Cardio 2nd. Here is why.

1st thing in the morning after getting out of bed and on an empty stomach you have about 20 minutes of stored energy. You want that energy to go towards an intense resistance workout to really hit the muscles hard. Then, when you hit the cardio after the weight you are on empty and burning FAT for energy. If you did it the other way around your cardio would burn all the stored energy and even though your resistance would be hard it wouldn't be as intense are if you did it 1st. The key to reving up your metabolism is more muscle.
    Make Sense?
  • MeekMeals
    MeekMeals Posts: 517 Member
    Ok thanks pals!! I've recently switched up to doing it that way. This will be the 2nd week and have seen AMAZING results! So I will continue to hit the weights first and cardio last! AWESOME!
  • LeanaJo
    LeanaJo Posts: 85
    I do weights every other day (2-3 times a week).

I do all my strength training and flexibility training (Yoga/ Pilates) BEFORE my cardio workout. It makes doing the cardio easier for me and that way I don't forget to do the others.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I would say aim for different days, but if you can't do that, then weights before cardio :)
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Yes, the can both be done on the same day. Weight 1st & Cardio 2nd. Here is why.

1st thing in the morning after getting out of bed and on an empty stomach you have about 20 minutes of stored energy. You want that energy to go towards an intense resistance workout to really hit the muscles hard. Then, when you hit the cardio after the weight you are on empty and burning FAT for energy. If you did it the other way around your cardio would burn all the stored energy and even though your resistance would be hard it wouldn't be as intense are if you did it 1st. The key to reving up your metabolism is more muscle.
    Make Sense?

I would actually recommend to do them on the same day. If your cardio is too intense it can impact your recovery from your weight session if you do it the next day. Doing them the same day (weight then cardio) you can have a full day for recovery.