Hello

booberj
booberj Posts: 69
edited September 27 in Introduce Yourself
I'm new to the forums but have been over weight since I was 12. It has only been the last 3-4 yrs that I have actively tried to do something about it. I know what works for me to lose weight that isn't my struggle however what my struggle is; sticking with it.

I am a big guy body mass and bone structure and have always used that as an excuse for being overweight. That excuse isn't cutting it any longer. I have finally realized that I need to do something and I have come to these forums to find support to help me stick with the diet and exercise that will get me down to the fitness level that my Dr. wants to see. My hat is off to him because he admits that because I'm built with denser bones and more muscle mass then the average guy that I shouldn't be trying to get down to the average 185 for a 6' guy.

My wife is on this journey with me but she struggles even more than I so I'm looking for support from strangers, my friends and family offer support in one breath but in the very next invite me out for dinner at the Mexican restaurant for chips and queso dip along with several 32oz beers.

I have been on my diet for 3 weeks and have lost 19lbs... The first 11 were easy but now I'm missing my beer, pizza and other foods such as these that have been my dietary staple for almost my entire life.

So I'll see you guys around the forums and yes I know that I'm a minority being a guy on here but don't hold that against me... give me a kick in the tail when I need one and I'll return the favor if you ask.

-Gary

Replies

• Welcome mfp hun,I have found its a great sourse of motivation advise and support!!Feel free to add me,i have lost 12st and maintained for over a year but have recently put 10lb on so trying to get that back off again now!!
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Welcome to MFP! You're taking all the right steps. Do you have an exercise program in place? That will help get the pounds off faster if it's slowed down for you. I found the Biggest Loser workouts very helpful, I lost over 30 pounds on them. I'm now doing Ripped in 30. I had to slowly increase my workout intensity. First started off walking, then water areobics and then Biggest Loser workouts. I think once your wife sees how much weight you are losing, then she will come on board too. That might make things easier for you. Also, you will be surprised how many men are on here. They just aren't as vocal as we women lol. But they are a great support to the team. Feel free to add me. I wish you the best! :)
  • booberj
    booberj Posts: 69
    I have been walking around the neighborhood and at breaks at work... that is the extent of my cardio right now... I started lifting weights last week and for me it's something that I enjoy and can stick with easier than walking constantly. I keep the intensity of my workouts as high as I can and still safely lift.

When I first started walking I could only walk the top part of our street because the hills would kill (I think literally) but now I'm walking around the neighborhood hills and all and will start adding the culdesacs in the coming days
This discussion has been closed.