Sleepy After AM Cardio

mattbryan
mattbryan Posts: 147
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
With my schedule, I have to get my cardio in first thing, or it probably won't happen. Although I feel generally healthier and more alert, I'm still fighting after-workout fatigue. I've heard folks say that working out in the morning gives them more energy for the day, but I'm not finding that to be true, specifically, right after I excercise.

I get up at 4:30, eat a protein/carb light breakfast (often yogurt and juice), then get to the gym at 5:00am. I generally do 45-50 mins of cardio on a machine (treadmill, elliptical, etc), go home to shower and get ready for work, help get the kids ready for school, then head out the door for work by 7. I usally have a 20oz Starbucks on the way to work. My drive to work is typically 45-55 mins, and I often find myself fighting sleep or heavy eyes as I'm driving in. Even though I try to get enough sleep (6-7 hours before AM workouts), I'm still puzzled at my body's reaction.

Thoughts? Advice? Tips? Anything that y'all can contribute would be wonderful! As always, thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    I wish I knew the answer will keep checking back to see what answers you get as I have the same type schedule and it sucks
    everyone I know claims they are all gangbusters hyped up with energy after their workouts and I get home take my shower, and could crash , need a nap or something. I dont know if its just the body saying hell NO we dont like getting up at 430am lol and being forced into immediate action or what but I really want to be one of those people who get hyper energy from their workouts, maybe that will happen once I lost half my weight or something. Hope you find out. Good luck and keep working out though. Maybe its the coffee working in reverse, I wondered if for me caffine makes me jittery but makes me sleepy?
  • MarkNH
    MarkNH Posts: 65 Member
    This is a great topic - considering that I have been debating about switching to a morning workout (currently done at night) due to my hectic schedule.

I look forward to reading the responses . . . .

*Good Luck !!!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    I dont go in the morning regularly but the times i have, as im walking out to my car im like wow i feel great this is fantastic. then as i start driving home to get ready for work im like oh god..i want to go back to bed. lol i drink alot of coffee. black.
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    How long have you been working out in the AM? When I started doing AM workout the frist 2weeks are very hard the next bait better and after that you start to wake up before your alarm gose off and you get that crazy get up and go. Also ostensibly to your body if it wants to go to bed early go to bed. I have gone to bed as soon as my baby gose to bed. It get easier with time.
  • nurse_carolyn
    nurse_carolyn Posts: 348
    I know that after my workout I am super hungry. I notice after yours you have a coffee but no more food. Would that help to have something at home while you are getting ready for work? Maybe a protein shake?
    I know that many people prefer to exercise at night because it promotes sleep for them, maybe this is you too? I know that you want to get it out of the way in the morning so that you get it in, but maybe try it at night (try and get on a routine) and see how that goes.
    Good luck:)
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Try eating something after you work out as well. I generally have a banana before I workout in the morning and breakfast tacos after. If I don't eat after I workout, I have the same problem no mater how much caffiene I've had.
  • ChrisR0128
    ChrisR0128 Posts: 86
    I was having the same problem. I started taking a B vitamin supplement in the a.m. with my multi vitamin and it helped me alot.
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Personally, when I workout in the morning, I always make sure to eat right after and this helps to stop me from flagging! Perhaps switch your meal time to post-workout rather than pre-workout.
  • ktbug1186
    ktbug1186 Posts: 266
    Bump! Im the same way!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    I don't work out as early as you do, but found myself so exhausted after my morning workout that I couldn't get anything done the rest of the day. Once I added some protein rich foods and some carbs to my diet soon after working out, it made a world of difference. Your body can't restore itself on just coffee.
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    I was having the same problem. I started taking a B vitamin supplement in the a.m. with my multi vitamin and it helped me alot.

my daughter just suggested the vitamin B supplement because she had mono while away at college and her dr put her on it to help her immune system recover, she said it really helps with energy, mood, and weightloss too, just one a day.

I also started taking a d vitamin because we had a long winter and so far a very raining spring, so need that too.
  • mattbryan
    mattbryan Posts: 147
    Hmmmm.....my thoughts would have been that eating carbs afterwards would make me even sleepier. I will try some oatmeal or something like that. I also tend to agree with everyone mentioning Vitimin B suppliments. On a rare occasion, I use the 5-hour energy drinks, and I know they're mostly megadoses of Vitimin B (with caffeine and other stuff, of course). They work pretty well for me. However, I know they're not the healthiest nor the cheapest in the world...so I use them sparingly.
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Try eating your breakfast after your workout. Your body is in need of a replenishment after the work out. I eat a banana after I work out and after a few days I don't get that crash feeling of sleep. It takes a few days for your body to know your feeding it after your workout.
    Best of luck..Please let us know what changes you do and if it works..
    ~Amy~
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    I had a similar problem to yours and it has adjusted. I have an almost identical schedule, including getting up around 4:30, 45 minutes or so of cardio, and dropping kid off as school, and a similar drive. I don't eat at all most days before going to the gym, if I do it is just a banana or some strawberries. After the gym I do protein powder with almond milk and another piece of fruit normally and then after my drive I eat breakfast and have coffee when I get to work. How much sleep are you getting? That has been the key for me. If I go to sleep between 10:30 and 11:00 I am fine. If I am up later than that I am dead the next morning and very sleepy after cardio.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    what's in the Starbucks...are you drinking in sugar or coffee syrups added in?

Maybe eat a post work out snack to keep you going and burning food as fuel like a hard boiled egg or spoonful of peanut butter on 1/2 of an apple to keep you reved up.
  • catlady100
    catlady100 Posts: 154
    Are you getting enough sleep ?
This discussion has been closed.