Weight loss and Running in Recovery

Options
In December of last year my wife and I decided to take on the Louisville Triple Crown of running. It was actually her idea and it sounded like a good idea to me because I knew I needed to get in shape. I had lost weight in the last couple of months but it was not due to working out but to my addiction of alcohol. We had three races in front of us and a half marathon to cap it all off. It wasn’t until I hit bottom on Jan 30th (while training still???) that I decided to stop my drinking career ( Enter AA) and live a healthy life. I’m not here to preach words from Bill W or throw God in your face etc but I am here to tell you that anything is possible and we are all strong enough using whatever it is that works for you to reach your goals and make positive things happen in your life. I am 34 years old and have a beautiful family and a job which I can reach out and help people change their life if they are willing. I adore my wife and am so grateful about the journey both of us have taken in the past 6 months to take care of ourselves and in turn be better for all of those around us we love.
Fitness has become a huge part of my life now and I think the trick is just getting to the core and making that commitment to be better, reach your max and then some. I think we all are capable of far more than we give ourselves credit and it just takes a little more than we usually put in or give plus a little sweat and tears to get there. I use my wife as an inspiration many times because she battles and makes it through what most of us would have used as a chance to give up. I run weekly and plan on running more races with my wife and I think in a way it has even brought us closer.
Fitness is a change in lifestyle for us all and I am so grateful to have the chance each day to continue to condition my mind, body and spirit. Patience is the key and for someone like me that is the hardest part. Just like dealing with my addiction I know if I do the work each day and put in time with what I use to keep me going I can make it. I have to say I feel great these days working on my own fitness and supporting my wife through her challenges. If I didn’t take care of me and what I need to do I would not be much help to those around me. I’m glad to be on this journey ( and I’m not alone in it!!!) and as I log my miles in each week I have to remember this is for me but how much it will effect others around me in a positive way.
Stay strong everyone and not matter what you have to balance or change in your life just know that you can do it. I hope one day I can be a living example of that.

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site.
    Fitness really helped me change my life around.
    I spent a lot of time drinking/using drugs.

Stick with it bro!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Stay strong everyone and not matter what you have to balance or change in your life just know that you can do it. I hope one day I can be a living example of that.

Sounds like you already are! Good luck as you and your wife continue your journey of health!!:flowerforyou:
  • Sc4ever
    Sc4ever Posts: 33
    Options
    Im responding because this sounds alot like my life! 1st of all congrats on your sobriety! My husband also is an alcoholic been sober for about 4 months now and hes doing great. Ive turned to trying to get fit because it took a toll on me and I used food to cope which was my choice but like him Im trying to change my life around and take responsibility for my actions. we have been taking walks together, talking, getting to know one another again.
    Once again congrats! God Bless :happy:
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this open and honest post. My husband and I were just talking about fitness and health this morning. Although we do not have the same struggles as yourself, I too wish to have a closeness and inspiration with my wonderful man so that we can grow and progress together mentally, physically, and spiritually. I e-mailed your post to him telling him that what you wrote is exactly what I want to be for him, an inspiration. You and your wife are very fortunate to be strong people who have wonderful support from each other not only in love, but in action as well. Best wishes to you.
  • pbolton16
    pbolton16 Posts: 87
    Options
    Thank you very much and I wish the best in your reconnection. Well you have taken the first step and starting talking about it right?
    Just being there for support in whatever it is they need is a start and communicating what you want to be for them is a key so they know. You care for him can't only grown and show as your continue on yourself. I wish you both the best.
  • pbolton16
    Options
    Im responding because this sounds alot like my life! 1st of all congrats on your sobriety! My husband also is an alcoholic been sober for about 4 months now and hes doing great. Ive turned to trying to get fit because it took a toll on me and I used food to cope which was my choice but like him Im trying to change my life around and take responsibility for my actions. we have been taking walks together, talking, getting to know one another again.
    Once again congrats! God Bless :happy:

Thats great and I am so happy for you both. I know our disease can really take a toll on those around us and I am glad that you both are still together and moving forward in a good direction in your life. Tell your husband that I said congratulations on his four months and today. Sobriety, spirituality, fitness or wellness it is all done one day at a time. We can all support each other in this everyday.
    Having something that you too can share and openly talk and support each other through makes all the difference. I know it does for myself and my wife.
  • pbolton16
    Options
    Welcome to the site.
    Fitness really helped me change my life around.
    I spent a lot of time drinking/using drugs.

Stick with it bro!

Thanks bro and I have a lot of gratitude these days!
    Love the signature.
  • Sc4ever
    Sc4ever Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words its hard but possible just like alot of things in life. I do still love him and hes a great father he wants to be a good example for the kids especially our daughter, wants to be the kind of man she is looking to marry one day!
    One day at a time thats all we can ask for!