Machine's HRM vs. Personal HRM

Options
According to the gym's cross trainer elliptical I burnt 500 calories in 60 min but according to my hrm I have in my wrist I burnt 805 calories, which one would you guys believe ?

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I would go with your wrist HRM. The machines tend to over estimate or under estimate significantly.
    I did an interval program on the elliptical last week and while the machine said I burned 240 calories, my HRM said I burned 443. After checking with one of the personal trainers, I went with my personal HRM.
  • kellyd23
    kellyd23 Posts: 24
    Options
    My personal HRM always says WAAAY more but since it my actual heart rate does sync up with the machine while wearing it, I figure the machine is more accurate since it does have the correct heart rate. I don't know.. I just could never allow myself that many more calories and take a chance on gaining because of it.. So.. I stick with the lower amount.. Totally sucks b/c the accuracy of the calories burned is the whole reason I got the heart rate monitor to begin with! :( Let me know how it goes if you continue to use the HRM's calories burned :)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Calorie burn depends on a lot of factors, age, gender, weight &c.

So go by whichever one has the most information about you. If you've entered all your information into a machine, and if it is also picking up your heart rate, it will be more accurate, but ONLY if it knows your weight and age and so on.