Gardening - really?!?!?!

Options
13»

Replies

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Take the estimations from MFP with a grain of salt. I generally cut the calories in half but that's still just a guestimation in my book.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Personally, I tend to only record exercises where I have access to a heart rate monitor to make sure I'm at a decent intensity.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    So I did an hour and a half of gardening on Saturday, and MFP said I burned 418 calories.

I just didnt' believe it, so to be safe I cut it in half. That doesn't seem possible.

Would a HRM be accurate while gardening?

No, no, noooooo......

MFP WAY overestimates calories burned.

A heart rate monitor is great at calculating steady state cardio, but not things like gardening or weight lifting or something that is not steady state.

Personally, I would not record the gardening calorie wise, but if you choose to do so I'd suggest cutting those calories at least in half and calling it a day.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    As for the treadmill, eliptical etc. The trainer at my gym says that the machines are too low.
    I'm afraid the trainer is incorrect.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    No, HRMs will not be accurate for gardening. Their calorie estimation formula is based on steady state cardio activity, gardening is not. You will get an inflated burn.
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    "Gardening" is a pretty broad term.

It encompasses everything from tilling top soil and carrying bags of mulch to planting flowers around the borders of the yard.

A HRM would give you a better picture of what you are burning.

^ this. I guess it depends on what gardening involves for you!
  • fequick
    fequick Posts: 16
    Options
    LOL, me too!