Mirena Coil and weight loss..

claireybray
claireybray Posts: 3
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi

I'm new so forgive me if I post this wrong!!

I have a mirena coil that I've had fitted since February. I have put on around a stone in that time - perhaps more. I am now trying to loose weight on a calorie controlled diet and by exercising as much as I can but I have read so many things saying people can't loose weight with mirena coil.

Has anyone here got one and had successful weight loss? Did it slow you down at all?

Replies

• megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    I just got mirena last month and I haven't lost a dang thing.
  • nikibob
    nikibob Posts: 165 Member
    A friend of mine has had Mirena for months and it doesn't hinder her weight loss at all. She didn't gain any when she got it until the winter (with thanksgiving and christmas dinners) rolled around. Now that she's trying to get the winter weight off she's not having any problems getting back down. Hope this helps! Just stay motivated! It can be done!
  • dmd6113
    dmd6113 Posts: 1
    I got this in August 2009 after my 6 week post-partum checkup. My starting weight was 220 and I am down to 175 since starting to lose the weight in January 2010. I started doing low-carb at first and just recently after not being able to lose any weight at 185 pounds switched to low fat and calorie counting using myfitnespal and I am down to the 175. I think finding what works for you is all you can do. I work out 5 days a week for about 60 minutes a day but I started that in March of this year. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Low carb worked for me when I first started though...might try that.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    I got the Mirena a year and a half ago. I have had some changes due to going from the Pill to the Mirena (Mirena still has some hormones but not near as many as the Pill). So it did take my body a good 3 months or so to feel normal again. I also quit smoking around the same time and don't really have as much time to workout as I used to. I started MFP and have been very strict with my food and trying to control the craziness of the weekends and making smarter food choices and trying to walk when I can. I have lost 6.5 pounds so far in about 5 weeks. If you are really worried, you should talk to your doctor.
  • mandysjourney
    mandysjourney Posts: 260 Member
    I have had one for a few years. I didnt gain weight when getting it put in and havent had any probs losing weight now that I have started tracking cals and exercising. they are extremely low hormones so shouldnt greatly affect weight at all from what I have heard
  • mocha76
    mocha76 Posts: 184 Member
    I have had Mirena for years and have not had a problem with it effecting weight loss or gain. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.