what am I doing wrong?

Options
I followed the 1200 cal. diet for almost two weeks. Ok, my exercise wasn't as frequent as it should have been, but I had two days of aerobics, and a few days of elliptical, but doesn't what you eat affect your weight loss more than exercise? I lost one pound, and am feeling discouraged. Can anyone help?:ohwell:

Replies

• looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You lost a pound! That's great! Keep it up. The other alternative is you could be up a pound. Maybe try upping cals by 50 or so to see if that helps speed it up but sometimes it just takes some time.
  • chels1605
    chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Zig Zag your kcals.... 1 day eat 1200, the next have 1300, the next have 1150. the next have 1350 etc etc...

You need to work out your BRM to see what deficit you have between what you burn to what you eat.... you need to eat 3500 kcals LESS a week to loose 1lb a week... thats A LOT! and a lb in 2 weeks is reasonable!

how much do you weigh, whats your height? Whats your normal activity level? That all helps us work it out for you :)
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    1 pound over two weeks is normal for some people - you don't mention how tall you are - if you are on the shorter end or if you have very little to lose, this is probably about normal, so celebrate the loss and keep going.
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    I followed the 1200 cal. diet for almost two weeks. Ok, my exercise wasn't as frequent as it should have been, but I had two days of aerobics, and a few days of elliptical, but doesn't what you eat affect your weight loss more than exercise? I lost one pound, and am feeling discouraged. Can anyone help?:ohwell:

Both diet and exercise effect weight loss also if you are closer to your avg target body weight meaning you dont have a higher body fat content then it is going to be more tough then say if you happen to be 10% over what your body fat should be.
  • leighton1245
    Options
    1 pound over two weeks is normal for some people - you don't mention how tall you are - if you are on the shorter end or if you have very little to lose, this is probably about normal, so celebrate the loss and keep going.

LOL height has nothing at all to do with weight loss
  • Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    1 pound is still gone the right direction!

I think it takes a bit to find out exactly what works for you or not. As above suggested try to see if you have set your BRM right.

It took me 4-6 weeks to work out my BRM and start to see consistent loss, and then less than 1 poun per week.

Also I think as you keep working at improving diet and exercise you pick up new tricks as you go along. For example slowly kicking out foods that are high in calories and low in "good" nutriotion, but you did not know they were as not analyzed in detail before; settling in your exercise routine: as you train more often you realize you can push more weight or jog/cycle longer etc...

It is not an overnight success but all good changes will stay with you making you healthier and happier on the long term.

Best of luck!
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options

Not having patients is what you are doing wrong. Continue with the diet, up your exercise and be patient; consistency is the key. Typically I lose a pound a week but sometimes it takes two weeks to lose a pound, it happens.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

1) The shorter you are, the less mass you will have at a healthy weight, the less your BMR will be.
    2) 1-5 lbs. can be really noticeable if you are five feet tall, pretty negligible if you are six feet tall.
  • leighton1245
    Options

1) The shorter you are, the less mass you will have at a healthy weight, the less your BMR will be.
    2) 1-5 lbs. can be really noticeable if you are five feet tall, pretty negligible if you are six feet tall.

Read the OP there is nothing about actually seeing the weight loss in there so there for it has nothing to do with height. Also your BRM is only minorly effect by height unless you are a foot or two shorter then the avg person. What does effect it is what you eat, how you eat and how often oh and dont forget how often and how long you exercise.
  • anitajean
    anitajean Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone! I guess because I don't have that much to lose, I'm 5'7" and 158, it comes off slower. I'll hang in there and keep trying. Either that, or I will have to buy a whole new wardrobe, because nothing is fitting anymore.:flowerforyou: