Joplin, Missouri Tornado and MFP

Options
tlp8rb
tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
There are more than 500 My Fitness Pal users within 25 miles of Joplin, Missouri hit by the worst tornado in Missouri history last night. Most recent count is 89 dead and 30% of the city of 70,000 people is destroyed including St. John's Regional Medical Center, Joplin High School, the Regional Technical College and hundreds of homes and businesses.

There is so much talk on these forums about support, and feelings of family - now is the time to step it up. The American Red Cross is on the scene and is badly in need of donations, especially money. Their assets have been severely depleted by storms in Mississippi, Alabama, St. Louis and the flooding along the Mississippi River. If you've lost fat, consider donating a dollar a pound (or 25 cents, or a penny) to the American Red Cross. It can be done online. Earmark your donation for Joplin, Missouri.

Replies

• aferbet
    aferbet Posts: 124
    Options
    Bump for the cause!
  • posbey
    posbey Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. Donating per pound lost is a great idea. I have some friends that went to school in Joplin and I'm sure it means a lot to them to know that we are thinking about them.
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    There are more than 500 My Fitness Pal users within 25 miles of Joplin, Missouri hit by the worst tornado in Missouri history last night. Most recent count is 89 dead and 30% of the city of 70,000 people is destroyed including St. John's Regional Medical Center, Joplin High School, the Regional Technical College and hundreds of homes and businesses.

There is so much talk on these forums about support, and feelings of family - now is the time to step it up. The American Red Cross is on the scene and is badly in need of donations, especially money. Their assets have been severely depleted by storms in Mississippi, Alabama, St. Louis and the flooding along the Mississippi River. If you've lost fat, consider donating a dollar a pound (or 25 cents, or a penny) to the American Red Cross. It can be done online. Earmark your donation for Joplin, Missouri.

Thank you for making us all aware. Lets do our part my friends!
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've got a friend that lives near joplin and they are getting hit again with more storms!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I lived there for about 6 months in 2006. My husband still has family there. So far those people are well, but there are many who aren't. The material damage is astounding.

Thanks for posting this. I'm sure we have MFP memebers that live there and I hope they see this when they are able and can think beyond the devastation.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Bump! We had tornado Saturday night here and this particular storm was originally headed our way until it turned off a bit! I feel for all these people ! We sent $$$ to Ks town that was destroyed also...so sad!
  • eyeballer
    eyeballer Posts: 50
    Options
    BUMP!
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I've got a friend that lives near joplin and they are getting hit again with more storms!

I live/work roughly 30 minutes from Joplin. Storms are rolling in quickly this morning as the sky is COMPLETLY black right now! My heart goes out to all the people who have been affected throughtout this! It's truly heartbreaking!! Hospital, a Walmart was leveled, Joplin High school nearly gone, the church I attended down the road from St. Johns- gone.....Businesses, apartment buildings, an elderly home facility...hit. Co workers, family, friends.....most lucky to be alive! & MANY have lost everything.

So Sad. :(
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    It just began pouring here. Breaks my heart thinking all those people devastated by tornado's yesterday are now out in the rain/storms!

**Prayers**
  • aferbet
    Options
    If I had the resources (gas, money, equipment, time) I would be there in a heart beat. Prayers continue to be lifted for all those touched.
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    If I had the resources (gas, money, equipment, time) I would be there in a heart beat. Prayers continue to be lifted for all those touched.

The thought is appreciated but unless you are a trained first responder, in the health care field or law enforcement, the last thing needed is more people milling about, not knowing where to go or what to do. Resources are already stretched to the breaking point just dealing with the residents and their needs.

Again, it's a beautiful thought but once you get there, unless you are in the fields above, there is little you can do. Contact your local food bank, Red Cross, etc. Give blood if you can. If we combine our giving power, even a dollar can have an impact.

Thanks for the prayers.
  • adougherty10
    Options
    BUMP
  • aferbet
    Options

The thought is appreciated but unless you are a trained first responder, in the health care field or law enforcement, the last thing needed is more people milling about, not knowing where to go or what to do. Resources are already stretched to the breaking point just dealing with the residents and their needs.

Again, it's a beautiful thought but once you get there, unless you are in the fields above, there is little you can do. Contact your local food bank, Red Cross, etc. Give blood if you can. If we combine our giving power, even a dollar can have an impact.

Thanks for the prayers.

I'm a RN...actually have to work tonight and tomorrow which is why I can't get there.
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    I'm a RN...actually have to work tonight and tomorrow which is why I can't get there.

Bless you. It is a worthy profession. I have a niece who is an emergency room RN. Even the RNs in the Joplin area have been told to stay home until their team is called. I think they're trying to keep emergency personnel from burning out.
  • gresham2
    gresham2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Bump!! We live at Lake of the Ozarks... my husband and I began in a little town just east of Joplin in the 90s. We lived there several years and spent a lot of time in Joplin. I shopped all up and down Rangeline, our children went to a pediatric dentist there, etc. It's devestating to say the least. Our church took a 26 ft truck full of nonperishable food items, water, and toiletries to those in need today with efforts planned to make several more trips as supplies arrive.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Our prayers are with all the victims and their families. God bless all who have had to deal with such horiffic tragedies this year.
  • hjollyrn
    hjollyrn Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • DancingYogini
    DancingYogini Posts: 377
    Options
    Bump
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    ‎^^^^^^^^^^^^^^l |^^^^^^^^^^| |P
    | ♥ PRAYERS FOR TORNADO VICTIMS ♥~♥ ||”"”;..\___.
    |……_______________| l______________l _||__|…, ]P
    “(@)’(@)”""""""*l'(@)l'(@)l """"""""""""""(@)'(@)""""'(@)