P90X for Ladies

Options
I was talking to my brother about wanting to start P90X (which he has done) and he stated that this program wasn't meant for girls because more than half of it is spent doing pull-up's or push up's and we wouldn't be able to do all of them.

What are your thoughts? Have you found yourself spending half of the video watching it because you couldn't complete the reps? I know that my aunt has done this program before but I find it really hard to believe that she can do more than a few pull-up's. Any feedback would be great, thanks!

Replies

• Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I was talking to my brother about wanting to start P90X (which he has done) and he stated that this program wasn't meant for girls because more than half of it is spent doing pull-up's or push up's and we wouldn't be able to do all of them.

What are your thoughts? Have you found yourself spending half of the video watching it because you couldn't complete the reps? I know that my aunt has done this program before but I find it really hard to believe that she can do more than a few pull-up's. Any feedback would be great, thanks!

First your brother is 100% wrong. P90X is for both men and women. The reasons are you can do both modified push-up and pull-ups (like assisted pull ups or bent over lat pull downs and work your way up to pull-ups). Also there is different versions of P90X. You can do the Lean version which concentrates more on the cardio work outs.

If I were in your shoes I would take that as a challenge and prove him wrong!
  • alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • selfdiscipline73
    selfdiscipline73 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't it be for girls? We can do pull-ups and push-ups with the best of them! If you look at the website you will see all kinds of girls on there that have done it!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    He's completely wrong. I know of a few ladies on here (edorice, OLP76) who have done & are still doing P90X and are INCREDIBLE.
  • selfdiscipline73
    selfdiscipline73 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't it be for girls? We can do pull-ups and push-ups with the best of them! If you look at the website you will see all kinds of girls on there that have done it!
  • ChelseaCamariJane
    Options
    My roommate did P90XX last year, lost 50lbs and looks like a totally different person. P90X is absolutely for women, too! I believe within P90X there are different programs you can do, and the one called "lean" is usually best for women.
  • travelgirl09
    travelgirl09 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Your brother is absolutely wrong. I've been doing it for 7 weeks now and I love it. I am doing it with a group of girls. We are loving it!
  • ChelseaCamariJane
    Options

Right on, my friend!
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Whoa! Your brother is mistaken. As with any exercise program, your level of fitness determines how much of a program you can complete--whether you are a man or a woman. Even if you can't do the entire program, do what you can. They more you do it, the stronger you'll become. Here's an article:

https://www.extremely-fit.com/fitness-tips/2010/03/p90x-girls-guide/
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    He's truly wrong. I finished P90X 10 days ago, and loved it. With respect to the pull ups, there is a band option.
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    He's wrong....there are different levels to P90X depending on the results you are trying to get. P90X Lean offers more cardio while P90X classic is more strength.
  • tammilk
    tammilk Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i completed P90X. i started out by modifying pushups (but was able to do real ones half way through) and by doing chair assist pull ups. You can do it!
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    There are men and women who begin P90X and can't complete the reps. It's an intense workout, and you're not as strong in the beginning as you will be in the end. I am doing it right now, and I can't complete all the reps the way that the people in the video do, but I am only just getting started. I can do all of the pushups, but it's hard for me for the pull-ups.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    There are modifications that can be done to most of the exercises. If you can't do a full pull up, you can use a chair for support. If you can't do a normal pushup, you can go to your knees and do a "girly" pushup. I'm curious why your brother would say that, since there are females in all of the DVDs.
  • Creiche
    Creiche Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    P90X is most definitely for women too!! If you can't do any pull-ups or push-ups at the start, they show you ways to modify until you can. It's all about pushing yourself, whatever your ability. I had to use a chair or the bands for pull-ups for most of it, but now I can do several pull-ups without assistance. It's amazing how much stronger and fit you become from the program...I highly recommend trying it!!
  • cuerpito
    cuerpito Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love p90x and I'm 83 lbs overweight!!!! Yes, the first week you can't do much, but you quickly build up your shape. At the beginning I could do maybe 8 push-ups on my knees. Now - week 6 - I can "almost" do a standard push-up - I just need to go another few inches lower. Very soon I know I'll do a full one - can't wait for that!!!! First time I did YogaX, I had to stop after 10 minutes of vinyasas due to a severe chest pain - now I do it all! First time I started jumping jacks, I'd stop after 10 seconds - now I laugh at myself then, knowing how out of shape I was. Don't listen to him. There are even girls in the videos - why wouldn't there be?! You'll love how it'll make you feel and the muscles you will tone!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes, he is wrong. P90X is for both men and women.
    It does have a lot of push ups/pull ups, however the idea is to modify the moves so you can do them, doing however many you can until you are strong enough to move on.

For pull ups and chin ups you can use resistance bands to target the same muscles, or rest your feet on a chair when doing actual pull ups, the further away the chair the harder it is. Eventually you should be strong enough to do them without.
    Push ups you just do as many as you can, even if it's only a couple, if you can't do one, then start with "girl" push ups, on the knees.

I have started p90x and can do less than 10 consecutive push ups and about 2 or 3 chin ups (no pull ups) I use the chair with the chin up bar as they like you to get around 10 reps really, and usually end up with only about 3-4 push ups each set before collapsing on the floor, as there's so many sets!
    "Do your best, forget the rest!" they like to say :)
  • JustMichelleB
    JustMichelleB Posts: 290
    Options
    Is your brother typically a chauvinist pig? How does he explain the women who are on the videos?

I'm on ROUND 2 of P90X, thankyouverymuch (-; I have increased my strength and endurance and have trimmed down and toned up. I don't do pullups, but do use a resistance band in place of that exercise (as demonstrated on the videos). I can do more "regular' pushups now than ever in my life!!
  • Girl1Beagle4
    Girl1Beagle4 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    He is completely wrong. I have done 2 rounds of P90X in the past. You can modify and Tony tells you how to modify. The key is to do a little more every time. If you can do 1 pull up without the chair and the rest with the chair then the next time you do 2 without the chair and the rest with the chair. Same thing with push ups. I did very well with this concept with P90X when I did it a couple of years ago. Plus, there are women in the video tapes who can do it. You CAN DO IT!!!
  • becca0211
    becca0211 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    He is sooooo wrong. I am finishing up my last week of P90X Lean Program and plan on doing another round in the fall, probably the classic program next time. I lost 20 pounds and went from a tight size 14 to a size 8. I wasn't able to do a lot of push ups in the beginning and modified a lot. But now I can do them just fine with no modifications. I'm almost there on the pulls ups, but that has NOTHING to do with being a girl! I still use the bands for the pull ups because I want to work those muscles more than I do with the few pull ups I can do right now.

Go for it and prove him WRONG :smile: