Extremely Frustrate..

Options
I've been exercising daily, and sticking to my calories for 2 weeks. I had lost 1lb but after a rough weekend, that is back. Why am I working so hard for no results? I'm 48 yo so I know my metabolism stinks, but I've been walking 2 miles every day at least since Christmas. Why can't I get the weight off? I need to lose at least 35lbs, I really don't know what more I can do.

Replies

• leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    I've been exercising daily, and sticking to my calories for 2 weeks. I had lost 1lb but after a rough weekend, that is back. Why am I working so hard for no results? I'm 48 yo so I know my metabolism stinks, but I've been walking 2 miles every day at least since Christmas. Why can't I get the weight off? I need to lose at least 35lbs, I really don't know what more I can do.

What does your diet look like? like what all are you eating and how often, also how much do you currently weigh?

Just as a tip before I know any of that walking doesnt burn many calories even power walking so you might need to put more activities in there.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I'm 165lb, when I'm doing well I have a lot of veggies in my diet, this weekend I had some no-nos like a lot of peanut butter and a (gasp) donut. but I did add them to my log, and doe some extra exercise, I went over my 1200 calories by about 100 or 150 Saturday and Sunday. I do a lot of walking, and I added stairs to counter some of the extra calories. Thursday I had Panera for lunch and for breakfast (food people brought in), I didn't know until it was too late that the Panera sandwich was so high in calories, even though it was supposely lean meat.

I know there is a lot of up and down, but you'd think it would be mostly down. How can three bad days erase 2 weeks of work?
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am around your same age, and I can tell you that I really had to up my game to get this weight off. I was walking too, fast for about 3+ miles every day, but the weight wasn't going anywhere. Until I really focused on my eating, cut back on sugar, carbs, sodium and calories, AND started working out on my elliptical, I was going nowhere. Once I started doing all of those things, the weight came off without too much effort. I just had to jump start everything, but I honestly think the change from walking to the elliptical made a big difference in my weight loss.

Good luck!!

Edited to add - WHAT A CUTE DOG!!! Is that a Brussels?
  • Juliejustsaying
    Options
    ugh, you really think I need to change to an elliptical? I have one, I was going to sell it, but I guess I can haul it back in and give it a try. I really never used ot have this much trouble with weight. But now that I'm of a certain age and have packed it on in the last couple years, I guess I have to ....

The dog is indeed a Brussells, but she isn't mine, she was on petfinder, her name is Greta. I just like her face, kinda is how I feel.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I understand completely! I thought I was doing well with what I was eating, but the weight just wasn't coming off. My problem was portion distortion! When I finally logged everything that went into my mouth, I was shocked by how much sugar I was eating!

I'm not necessarily saying to break out your old elliptical, but you may have to do something a little more strenuous, if you are able. For me, I think my body had gotten accustomed to the walking routine, so I was just stuck at that size. I've also heard that interval training can really jump start your weight loss. So, maybe that machine of torture isn't necessary after all!

(Love your profile picture!!! Brussels and Affenpinschers have the greatest faces!!)
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I second the up the exercise intensity. Know when I switched to running and spin from walking, the weight started falling off. Plus get some strength training in, it is so vital. Otherwise as you age, your lean mass is literally replaced with fat.

As for the food, it is hard to say as your diary is set to private. But my guess is it has less to do with the amount of food, than it does the type of food. Cut out as much processed crap as possible. Even more veggies, fruits and lean protiens. Eat as often as possible.

Also give it time, two weeks is nothing in the larger picture of life. I wouldn't focus much on the "two miles a day since Christmas," not to negate the work you put in, but realistically that is maybe 150-200 calories a day. Think of that as an apple and a tablespoon of peanut butter, eight crackers and an ounce of cheese, a handful of nuts. In other words, if you weren't really tracking your food, it wasn't probably enough to make any significant change in your calories in vs. calories out.

It was a good start, and probably helped build some strength, but now it is time to bump it up. Good luck.
  • bellisima6
    bellisima6 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It took me a month before seeing results and also I was not eating enough. I have been doing the 17 day diet and it is really working for me. maybe you should give it a try
  • Juliejustsaying
    Options
    What is the 17 day diet? can you elaborate?
  • Juliejustsaying
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who responded. I have some new ideas to try and also took a hard look at my food diary. I guess I haven' t been doing as well as I thought. I think I will try looking at the nutrition information BEFORE I put things in my mouth.
  • MindiKat
    MindiKat Posts: 49
    Options
    I know before the elliptical did make a difference vs walking, although I enjoy walking much more. I tried biking which pushed me too hard and hurt like ... well you know... and I ended up doing nothing instead. Good luck.