The Master Cleanse

C_Bran
C_Bran Posts: 254
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBwQFjAA&url=http://themastercleanse.org/&ei=wnHaTZXYFsTw0gHwv737Aw&usg=AFQjCNF3R9kxEpNteMW-uyEm5YQ64s8w2g&sig2=4b_HDIYF4Y9-Fepnhewc_w

I know this link is a mile long, but I wanted to know if anyone has tried this?

If so, then how was it? Did it work? Did you notice any side effects...etc?

Replies

• Fesse
    Fesse Posts: 611
    Bump'n !!!!
  • TheNewLK
    TheNewLK Posts: 933 Member
    Bump....but im going to look it up later C....
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    I did try this once. I couldn't get past the taste.......
  • C_Bran
    I did try this once. I couldn't get past the taste.......

Yeah. I think I could do the taste if I used Limes instead of Lemons.
  • MeekMeals
    MeekMeals Posts: 517 Member
    I didnt want to post because people trip out when they see anyword with fasting in it. I did it last year before a vacation.
    thats the only thing its good for...

i wouldnt do it long term.

but for bodybuilding you may want to check out www.leangains.com for "proper" fasting.

Alot of people on Myfitnesspal dont take the time to research "other" things. They hear "fast" and flip out LOL!! I will post this for you tho...
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    2 weeks on eating very little food to laxatives and some concoction of lemon juice/maple syrup as your source of calories...well you will definitely lose weight. Then again just go the whole mile and not eat since you are basically not eating next to anything following this.

There is no reason for this kind of diet/cleanse/thing; you already work out quite heavily CBran so just eating healthy is more than enough. You have lost 55lbs already, no reason to fix what isn't broke.
  • C_Bran
    I didnt want to post because people trip out when they see anyword with fasting in it. I did it last year before a vacation.

but for bodybuilding you may want to check out www.leangains.com for "proper" fasting.

Alot of people on Myfitnesspal dont take the time to research "other" things. They hear "fast" and flip out LOL!! I will post this for you tho...

Thanks. I have (am doing) done the leangains approach. It has worked for me. I basically am trying to cut fat and slim down. Because of my athletic background I have to change my workouts up frequently because my body starts to run so efficient that I don't loose any weight.

I'm just looking into this as a curve ball to throw in sparingly.
  • MeekMeals
    MeekMeals Posts: 517 Member

Thanks. I have (am doing) done the leangains approach. It has worked for me. I basically am trying to cut fat and slim down. Because of my athletic background I have to change my workouts up frequently because my body starts to run so efficient that I don't loose any weight.

I'm just looking into this as a curve ball to throw in sparingly.

I would say continue the leangains. to me its better if you're into building lean muscle. the master cleanse over a long period of time will reduce your lean muscle "drastically". but if you just want to "shock" the system, i would say try it for 3 days only. but its a doozy!!!
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    ok if you are supposed to eat to live not live to eat and use food as fuel then what is a cleanse? It is basically starving yourself for fun to see how long you can make it unhtil you have to eat again.

Doesn't sound fun or healthy to me let alone gross tasting and unsafe....why not just eat salads for every meal for 10 days with lemon olive oil dressing and you get the lemon and the high water content in the salad.

The sea salt thing seems to me like drinking a major laxative so everything you put in is going out without any food absorbtion...I don't think I could handle it.

God gave us healthy foods and pure foods, why not just eat those and not live on sea water and lemons

Pass, but post your progress and let us know how you do!
  • C_Bran
    2 weeks on eating very little food to laxatives and some concoction of lemon juice/maple syrup as your source of calories...well you will definitely lose weight. Then again just go the whole mile and not eat since you are basically not eating next to anything following this.

There is no reason for this kind of diet/cleanse/thing; you already work out quite heavily CBran so just eating healthy is more than enough. You have lost 55lbs already, no reason to fix what isn't broke.

WORD!!!

True indeed.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    i tried it and couldnt make it past 3 days!! i lost a few lbs but gained them back when i started eating again. I would not recommend it.
  • girlkicks
    girlkicks Posts: 12

A lot of people on MFP actually DO research "other" things and the research proves that fasting and cleanses are not effective for weight loss or good for your body. If you want to try it because you want to test what you're capable of enduring or something like that, knock yourself out. But to think that it's good way to achieve SUSTAINABLE weight loss is silly.
    My two cents....
    xoxox
  • girlkicks

A lot of people on MFP actually DO research "other" things and the research proves that fasting and cleanses are not effective for weight loss or good for your body. If you want to try it because you want to test what you're capable of enduring or something like that, knock yourself out. But to think that it's good way to achieve SUSTAINABLE weight loss is silly.
    My two cents....
    xoxox
  • girlkicks
    Here are a couple of articles where doctors have written their opinion on the Master Cleanse. (I'm sure I won't be spoiling it for you by telling you basically doctors agree that it's unhealthy on various levels and possibly dangerous for some and there's no medical evidence that it even "rids you of toxins".)

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-lemonade-diet-master-cleanse-diet

http://www.everydayhealth.com/blog/zimney-health-and-medical-news-you-can-use/master-cleanse-diet-master-scam/

Keep up the good work doing it the right way, C!
    xoxo
    -J
  • reegordon
    reegordon Posts: 97 Member
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions and points of view but please do not belitle others because of their decisions. I know of plenty of people who do cleanses, not for weight loss but for religious reasons. Although I feel it's unhealthy, I would never belittle them because of it. I'm sure you may not mean it that way but, as I'm reading it, that's the way it comes across. I wish everyone the best on obtaining their goals!
  • C_Bran
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions and points of view but please do not belitle others because of their decisions. I know of plenty of people who do cleanses, not for weight loss but for religious reasons. Although I feel it's unhealthy, I would never belittle them because of it. I'm sure you may not mean it that way but, as I'm reading it, that's the way it comes across. I wish everyone the best on obtaining their goals!

It's cool Ree. Whenever you start talking about the "F" word (fasting) the conversations get heated. I think this went okay and didn't go over the top.

I appreciate all the input from every side.

@girlkicks - thank you for the links and additional information so I can be well informed.
  • girlkicks
    I don't see anyone here, including me, who is "belitteling" someone for their decisions. Unless you consider posting articles that pose a different opinion on the subject "belitteling". I sort of see it as presenting the other side. To be quite honest, I don't really care what anyone does with their own eating habits. Just presenting information and suggesting that just because I'm not someone who indulges in fasting or fad dieting that I somehow have not "researched" the idea. Ya dig?
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    I did it last August for 10 days. I think doing a cleanse has health benefits, but I was doing it to lose weight and for that - I don't recommend it. I did lose weight, which I promptly regained when I went back to eating "normally" (and normal for me was unhealthy). Like I said, I do think there's some value to cleanses, but not as a method of weight loss.

And yes, there were side effects that were pretty bad. The salt water flush was completely disgusting and made me gag, and taking laxatives every day isn't healthy for your colon and can create real problems if you have a long drive to work in the morning or your office is located far away from the restroom. Your body can become reliant upon the laxatives. I also had terrible headaches at the beginning.
  • Silvergamma
    Silvergamma Posts: 102 Member
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/blog/zimney-health-and-medical-news-you-can-use/master-cleanse-diet-master-scam/

Your body has all the organs it needs to remove toxins. If there are toxins in your system that can't be removed by healthy eating and drinking water, lemonade and laxatives are not going to help. Weight loss wise, yes people lose weight on this because they are operating at a huge calorie deficit, and are passing what fecal matter is in their intestines. Speaking of intestines, the high acidity of the lemonade without anything else in your system can be damaging to the flora in your intestines -> this can actually be damaging to your colon.
This discussion has been closed.