Anyone out there do Callanetics? Not Calisthenics

Options
2»

Replies

• kmiller916
    Options
    I do! Or, at least I started again after a long time away from it. I did 10 years way back in high school and my early 20s, and I had really pretty legs back then. I knew it to work if I could stick to it, so I ordered the "10 Years Younger in 10 Hours" dvd late last year, and am only now really getting back into it. I haven't been doing so well with my commitment to it, so I am hoping by posting here that the buddy system/accountability will kick in. I look forward to being slimmer, stronger, and healthier in the coming months :)
  • helenrs87
    helenrs87 Posts: 34
    Options
    Im about to start a callanetics challenge as Im struggling to get rid of the last bit of fat around my middle and my inner thighs. If I cant burn the fat in time for summer perhaps callanetics can hide it for me! Im going to try 10 in 10, and evolution every other day (along with my usual workouts)

I've just completed a detox challenge diary (it didnt work very well), so Im going to keep a diary of this as well. Hopefully with before and after pics if it works!
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have a Callanetics book. Did it first in my teens, and at different times since then. It is pretty effective. Now I am into Kettlebells and running, but maybe I should revisit it. I have most of the exercises memorized still!
  • helenrs87
    helenrs87 Posts: 34
    Options
    how do you find callanetics compared with kettlebells? I used to do callanetics a while ago and saw some results although I struggled to stick to it. I'm really into kettlebells now and they've changed my body a lot.

I'm hoping that kettlebells will keep off the fat and keep me strong. However I don't want to get that ropey bulky look. Callanetics bodies look so slim, and the inner thigh stretches are fantastic. Just wondering how well these excercises will work on a 'kettlebell body' Will they be effective in terms of inch loss? Callenetics is based on using deep down muscles to 'pull you in' but as kettlebells give you such a strong core I'm unsure as to if this will benefit you any further. Thoughts?
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kmiller916
    Options
    Well.....I'm trying it - AGAIN. I already answered somewhere on here that I did it as a young adult. And I did it for a while last year. Now, here I am again. I have thus far only tried 10 Years Younger, because it's the one I was most familiar with, and it's my favorite way to relax. I know the exercises so well that I can do the workout while watching tv, which is awesome. I can't decide which dvd to get next, though.
  • cbot55
    cbot55 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the Callanetics DVD - a copy of the old/classic one. I am going to start again. Do we know what/how to add this to the exercises on Myfitnesspal? Its not there. I wonder what it is similar to - what to add for data??
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I have the Callanetics DVD - a copy of the old/classic one. I am going to start again. Do we know what/how to add this to the exercises on Myfitnesspal? Its not there. I wonder what it is similar to - what to add for data??

Honest truth? I wouldn't log it at all as there is miminal calorie burn. Doesn't mean it's not effective, it's just more of a bodyweight strength workout than a calorie burn.

And make sure you measure your inches first - your dress size may shift more than the scales with Callanetics (which is a good thing).
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've tried it and omg i was in the best shape ever. it gave me results SO FAST, literally the next day my butt was tighter.

my mom has been doing this for 40 years and it leaves you so flexible, tight, and all-around amazing.

when i was at my goal weight, i couldn't' fit into clothes that i could fit into when i was at that weight and doing callanetics, it just tones you so well.

i fell off the wagon and am trying to get back on, doing it today for the first time in months… it is hard to motivate yourself but seriously, do it.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Callanetics was designed by Callan Pinckney who had bad back problems when she was younger, she designed this workout for anyone with back problems, It strengthens deep deep muscles and she only uses 1/2 inch movements. It will really kick your butt. I used to have it on tape the original is from the early 90's I believe but it is the best one to have, it's on dvd now. Callan is older but her body is amazing and she shows the results of her students during the workout video. Anyone else here try it? If so what did you think of it?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1091245-anyone-tried-callanetics