Terrible Shoulder/arm Pain -- help!

Options
I have had terrible shoulder/arm pain for probably about 3 months now in my right arm. Now the left is starting to hurt just the same. It effects my everyday - I cannot reach my arm up, I can not stretch my arm out, I cannot move it much at all. I can barely raise it enough to wash my hair!

I am 6.5 months pregnant (which could have something to do with it?) However, this has happened to me before pregnancy in the past, but would 'only' last about a month at the very most. It has never lasted this long.

I had gone to see a doctor about a year and a half ago about it, and he didn't know what it was or what to do about it. (really?) My bf thinks it could be something wrong with the rotator cuff.

Online I read it could be inflamed and to take Ibuprofen, but I am pregnant and cannot take that. Any ideas on what it could be or how to help the pain etc??

Replies

• tigertown11
    tigertown11 Posts: 310
    Options
    what part of your arm is it? Our myofascial muscles are underneath our muscles and they could be being pulled from a different tight part of your body.
    also, i have experienced this recently, I was having stomach issues with my diaphragm being pushed into my rib area. My shoulders started to hurt. Doctor told me it was a referred pain from the stomach issue. and being that you are pregnant; it may just be that. As your baby grows the other organs need somewhere to go and may be pushing on some nerves.
    Have you spoken to your baby doctor? they may have heard of this. pregancy does strange things to a body.
    and by the way
    CONGRATULATIONS!!
  • JBRENTLINGER
    JBRENTLINGER Posts: 160
    Options
    I had similar pain you are describing in my left shoulder. I could not reach up without pain and it was stiff and sore when I would wake up. I used Tiger Balm to ease the pain and started taking Triple Strength Fish Oil and Glucosamine 1000. (got them at a GNC) Both 'should' be safe during your pregnancy, but I would check with a doctor first.

I have been doing this for almost 2 months and I won't say the pain it totally gone, but it is much better. I can lift/reach things over my head without pain and the stiffness/soreness upon waking up is greatly reduced.
  • herwholejourney
    herwholejourney Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    what part of your arm is it? Our myofascial muscles are underneath our muscles and they could be being pulled from a different tight part of your body.
    also, i have experienced this recently, I was having stomach issues with my diaphragm being pushed into my rib area. My shoulders started to hurt. Doctor told me it was a referred pain from the stomach issue. and being that you are pregnant; it may just be that. As your baby grows the other organs need somewhere to go and may be pushing on some nerves.
    Have you spoken to your baby doctor? they may have heard of this. pregancy does strange things to a body.
    and by the way
    CONGRATULATIONS!!

Thank you!! :o)

It hurts on the upper/top of my arm all the way up to my shoulder. I will definitely ask my doctor on Thursday when I go to see her, it could be worse because of that, but what baffles me is that this used to happen before pregnancy too! Just not for as long of time. It is getting worse and worse and it now hurts to sleep/lay down. Pregnancy does do weird things to the body though so I will definitely ask her! Thanks!
  • herwholejourney
    herwholejourney Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I had similar pain you are describing in my left shoulder. I could not reach up without pain and it was stiff and sore when I would wake up. I used Tiger Balm to ease the pain and started taking Triple Strength Fish Oil and Glucosamine 1000. (got them at a GNC) Both 'should' be safe during your pregnancy, but I would check with a doctor first.

I have been doing this for almost 2 months and I won't say the pain it totally gone, but it is much better. I can lift/reach things over my head without pain and the stiffness/soreness upon waking up is greatly reduced.

Yeah it is like i can't raise it at all - but once I get it past the point that hurts terrible and get my arm way way up - it's fine, but then when I go to lower it, it hurts so bad. I will try the tiger blam and ask my doctor if it's okay to take the Triple Strength Fish Oil and Glucosamine 1000. Thanks so much for the help!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    It kind of sounds like what my husband is experiencing. He's got impingement of the joints in both shoulders that can hurt along the top and in the front of the shoulder. He was given x-rays and then an MRI and sent to an orthopedic who is more specialized in treating these things. My husband has a bone rubbing against his tendons in his shoulders and that's what's causing the pain. He will start physical therapy tonight in hopes that it will help but if it doesn't he'll need surgery to shave the bone down in each shoulder. They tried giving him cortisone shots but they didn't do anything for him.

You being pregnant you probably won't be wanting to do an x-ray or an MRI so you might be a little stuck for diagnosis until you deliver. Definitely ask your doc about it and if you get "I don't know" again you might want to find a new doc!