What's the best weightloss tip you have for someone who just

Options
Hi,

I'm just curious to what works for you. I'm seeing a bunch of people who have lost 25, 50, even 100 or more pounds and I'm wondering what is the secret. I know everyone is different and I've got some personal things that I do that I know work for me. Just open to try some new things to spice up my SexyBackVille Voyage.

Whether it be particular foods that help cut down fat and/or high in protein or whatever. Things you've learned about how your body reacts to different exercises, does the time of day you eat or frequency really matter? I'm trying to target my belly fat, chunky arms and the rolls on my back LOl

Thx! :wink:

Replies

• godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots of water! Also, self control...and don't deprive yourself of the foods you love; just eat them in moderation. Oh, and I try not to drink my calories =)
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    My best weightloss tip for everyone is to brace yourself and swallow the fact that this isn't going to be a diet for a couple of months, you're going to have to change your eating habits for the rest of your life, and there are no shortcuts.

The time of the day and frequency you eat does matter a little, but it pales into insignificance when compared to "what" you eat, and how much you eat of it.

Unfortunately it is simply not possible to target fat loss from any part of your body, but when you lose fat, it will go from those areas.

Good luck with your new healthy self! :)
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    lots of water, a good night's sleep, consistent physical activity, PLAN PLAN PLAN. Plan your day's meals in the morning so you don't get caught short in the evening. Also if you know what's coming next you're less likely to just grab something. Avoid sodium and eating out as much as possible.
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    treat your diet as a hobby, log everything, keep smiling, its working for me, good luck, add me as a friend if you want to
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more :)

Eat little & often

Lots and lots of water!
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the mornings, but I find it makes a big difference if I also go for a walk after dinner. Serious sweat in the morning, just a stroll or leisurely bike ride in the evening. Seems to put me over the edge to make the scale budge in the morning.
    Good Luck!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Eat half of what you could to feel full. This allows you to eat more of what you want with half the calories and still feel full. This can make meeting calorie goals much easier.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious to what works for you. I'm seeing a bunch of people who have lost 25, 50, even 100 or more pounds and I'm wondering what is the secret.

The secret is summed up in the words of Winston Churchill "Never, never, never, never, never give up!".
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    break it down into 10 lb increments, looking at 100 lbs is overwhelming, drink the water, when I get the munchies I chew gum or eat popcorn or rice cakes you can eat quite a bit for not alot of calories of course there is always fruit and vegetables but that doesnt always help with the munchies.

when I go out to eat I look at the nutritional values before I go ( look up on the computer) and find the best choice, when I get there dont look at the menu just order what you know is the best thing. ex in and out cheeseburger without the special sauce ketchup and mustard instead is 400 cals and I dont order the fries,
  • ecmcnamee
    ecmcnamee Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Planning, water, water and move .. did I say water? If not, WATER.. that makes a huge difference for me :) Good luck!
  • mamaw53
    mamaw53 Posts: 71
    Options
    As you lose weight, a lot of those rolls will diminish. Drink lots of water, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables. And the MOST important thing is to keep your cupboards, desk at work, etc. stocked up with lots of healthy food choices. I always keep cereal, low fat chocolate mints, yogurt, and jello-fruit desserts on hand for sweet cravings. The more you PLAN for eating healthy-the easier it is! Good luck on your journey!
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I would say planning. I plan out my lunches and dinners for the week and do any prep work possible on Sunday. The biggest deterrent I face is during the week when I don't have the time to make my lunch or dinner. So by doing as much of the work ahead of time, it really helps cut down prep time on those days where I don't have a lot of time or... just lazy ;) It also prevents impulsive decisions that get me into trouble when I already have a meal planned or prepared for me.
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I agree, log everything, i'm a sod for eating naughty food then debating if i log it, i always do, then go exercise to burn off some cals so you can still have dinner (it has been done more than once!)

Drink plenty, it will stop you feeling peckish as your tummy is already full, i like sparkling water with squash as i dont register it as water because of the bubbles, thus brain thinks its getting something yummy!

Oh and don't give up if you have a bad day! We al have them and feel crappy because we had something we know we shouldn't have, but get back on the horse the next day and keep on plodding!
  • MsTamzyK
    MsTamzyK Posts: 45
    Options
    YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME, THANKS FOR TAKING TIME OUT TO RESPOND :smile:
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    For me, it has been about eating less and better but keeping the things I love in my life (from french fries to beer) - just in moderation. Add that to making exercise part of my daily life (I like to go to the gym a lot - it's my "me" time - where I don't have to think about anyone else by myself).

Also - realizing that the weight will come off slowly. I had a hard time with this at first, I was almost jealous of everyone's big and constant losses - but then, I had to admit, if i was not ready to cut things like alcohol out of my life, that the loss will be slower. Once I've accepted that, things have been a lot smoother - at least mentally =)

Good luck with everything!
  • lisapickering
    lisapickering Posts: 374
    Options
    lots of water, a good night's sleep, consistent physical activity, PLAN PLAN PLAN. Plan your day's meals in the morning so you don't get caught short in the evening. Also if you know what's coming next you're less likely to just grab something. Avoid sodium and eating out as much as possible.

YES! Planning is the key to success. If you don't plan you don't work time into your day for exercise and you are more likely to make poor food choices for convenience. I make a meal plan at the beginning of the week, grocery shop and do prep (make Steel Cut Oats for the week and portion into containers, cut up fruit and vegetables, boil eggs, cook some chicken to use throughout the week). It makes it so easy, as you now have easy food that is clean and so much better than grab fast food! And having a water bottle (reusable) and keeping it with you will make drinking water easy to do.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Have patience and try not to get discouraged!

It took me a long time to figure out that when I work out hard I retain lots of water and don't see the scale move (might even go up). It took a couple weeks of me taking a day off before weighing to really see the pounds come off. Every person is different and each person gets their own little pattern down of how it works best for them. If you get stuck, change things up and eventually you will find out what works!

Also, don't starve yourself. For some reason there are people who think that they will lose by eating half their calorie goal. There are some people on here that will give out really un-healthy advice. If you are working out, you need to net at least 1200 calories.
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Make better choices, small meals throughout the day, pay attention to carbs, fat and calories, and WATER WATER WATER!
  • raychybabe
    raychybabe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Best things I have done (and been able to maintain as a lifestyle)

- cut out sugar in tea/cereal - switch to sucrolose based sweetener ( 2 cals vs 20 cals per tsp)
    - Switch from full/half fat milk to skimmed milk
    - Always eating breakfast - porridge with fruit - I can stay full until about 10.30am, rather than craving a chocolate bar and crisps at my desk at 9am
    - learning to plan ahead - especially with work meals - so I'm not tempted by vending machines!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF!

-Realize it's going to take a while for the weight to come off. This is not a quick fix.
    -Log EVERYTHING.
    -It's much better for you in the long run to underestimate calories burned and overestimate calories consumed.
    -On days where it's really hard to find motivation, remember why you're doing this. Make a list if you need to.
    -The only person you are in competition with is your former self.

KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON! You can do it! This website is full of great advice, motivation and support. Use it everyday. Good luck on your journey to a happier, healthier you!