A water WTF!?!

Options
Okay I cannot be the only one going WTF?!? :noway:

When we go through drive through and ask for a pop / soda / coke they will ask if we want to make it a large. Ask for an iced water and they give you a cup smaller than a small! Yesterday while shopping my boyfriend ran to the pop machine to get me a bottle of water, and I kid you not what he brought back as a shot of water!! 299ml!! That is roughly 10.1 ounces! :huh:

So why are they so damned stingy with the water, but push the sugar?? When in the world we live in today that focuses so much on waste, and obesity would they make such tiny bottles for water yet keep making the sugra drinks in much bigger containers? :huh:

Replies

• Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    I second this rant!!! And add how ridiculous it is how many bottles of "water" you have to go through to find one without added flavor or artificial sweetener!! Why would they put aspertame in WATER???? I just wanted some water, thankyouanyways!!
  • shannieboo
    shannieboo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Okay I cannot be the only one going WTF?!? :noway:

When we go through drive through and ask for a pop / soda / coke they will ask if we want to make it a large. Ask for an iced water and they give you a cup smaller than a small! Yesterday while shopping my boyfriend ran to the pop machine to get me a bottle of water, and I kid you not what he brought back as a shot of water!! 299ml!! That is roughly 10.1 ounces! :huh:

So why are they so damned stingy with the water, but push the sugar?? When in the world we live in today that focuses so much on waste, and obesity would they make such tiny bottles for water yet keep making the sugra drinks in much bigger containers? :huh:

I too used to ask this and now I know the answer. I go to weight loss classes each Tuesday night and they tell me the reason why the places push soda's with the FREE refills is when we drink sugar we our bodies do not trigger we are hungry as fast as it would if we didnt drink it and we will order more food. that way they will get more money! Yea, It made me shake my head too.
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Same thing at the movie theaters! You have to BUY a soda cup to get anything more than a sip of water. If you want to buy the bottled water, it's two times more expensive than a refillable soda!!! Are you kidding me? I just bring my own in now. But it's ridiculous. Any people wonder why America is Obese and dying.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    Did they charge you for the water?
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

No, they didn't in the drive through, but they did for the 299ml bottle.

I have offered to buy a glass if they will fill it with iced water and been turned down. I figure I am in the drive through gimme my water I am not coming back for seconds. :laugh: (It's not even filtered water)
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I agree with all of you. Even more sadly, it's good old corporate greed driving these decisions. While I know you all find this ridiculous, try not to be too hard on the servers, as they are just following the orders of their superiors. Emailing corporate headquarters instead. It will be more effective if more people send emails expressing their dissatisfaction with a company's policies, and worse yet, a threat to stop patronizing such establishments.
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

No, they didn't in the drive through, but they did for the 299ml bottle.

I have offered to buy a glass if they will fill it with iced water and been turned down. I figure I am in the drive through gimme my water I am not coming back for seconds. :laugh: (It's not even filtered water)

I wouldn't even mind paying some for the water if it was in a 16.9 oz bottle! It always kills me that at fairs, craft shows, etc... you pay $2.00 for soda and $4.00 for water. You are right WTF??!!
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    They prob push the higher sugar stuff on you coz they charge for it
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    They push the soda because they charge for it. They dont charge for cups of water...plus if you think about it...in general people ask for more soda.....not many people ask for more water.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    when we visited europe, there were liter bottles of water for sale for half a euro...maybe 60 or 70 cents? it was wonderful! i wish they would do that here!
  • mkiesel33
    mkiesel33 Posts: 16
    Options
    Oh my the stories I could tell about trying 2 get a large water
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It's funny that I stumbled across this topic because today I had lunch at Pei Wei(its a new asian diner in the area that is owned by P.F Changs) and their water glass was freaking huge! It was easily two cups.. maybe three. They also had orange and lemon slices to put in the water... I was one happy girl at lunch :)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Ok, so now Im admitting to being a nerd but always carry my own stash of water whereever I go... restaurants, traveling (not on planes of course), doing errands, seminars, everywhere... even to the grocery stores or shopping. I hate the idea of spending money on water. And Im sure as heck not going to order a soda. YUK!
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Why not just ask for a large cup filled with water?
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Too crazy, when we eat out I ask for lemon water,glad they don't charge me for the lemon.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    They push the soda because they charge for it. They dont charge for cups of water...plus if you think about it...in general people ask for more soda.....not many people ask for more water.

Most of the fast food places by me charge some small amount for the cup. Then give you the small cup with basically two gulps of water. I would rather pay the soda price for the large cup and then just get water in it than have to drink the soda. Pretty much I just try to carry my own water with me and avoid the fast food joints altogether.

The problem some of the places have now I think is these new machines that do all the work for them. Some of the newer machines automatically register and fill the drink, so they don't have the ability to order the large drink and substitute water in the cup even. I had one time where I ordered a diet soda but the person who took my order entered the wrong drink into the computer and the woman at the pickup window had to call the manager in order to get my drink changed because she couldn't do it. It was bizarre.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options

Because many stores keep track of their inventory and sales based on the cup count since there is so much wastage when pouring drinks, especially when the customers do it themselves. Giving away a cup under those circumstances would be like a drink had been shoplifted.
  • mkiesel33
    Options
    Sometimes they don't know how to "ring" it up it's crazy.
  • mkiesel33
    Options

Sometimes they don't know how to "ring" it up
  • mrb_9110
    mrb_9110 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It's funny that I stumbled across this topic because today I had lunch at Pei Wei(its a new asian diner in the area that is owned by P.F Changs) and their water glass was freaking huge! It was easily two cups.. maybe three. They also had orange and lemon slices to put in the water... I was one happy girl at lunch :)
    Can this happen in all restaurants?