Why so much water?

Options
botography
botography Posts: 95 Member
I am new. It seems part of the diet process is drinking water. Why water and why so much? Can I substitute a flavored tea as in green tea and pomegrante that I buy from the local grocery store (Giant Eagle)? If I drink water all I do is add water weight for the day and I really don't like water. There has to be another way.

Replies

• Sunjenk
    Sunjenk Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    This is what ive gathered from various forums, I may be wrong, but this is what i've been reading.

Water flushes out sodium, and your body will only retain water if it feels like it is going to be deprived of it (so if you don't drink enough, you will gain water weight because your body wont want to get rid of what it has)

So after a few days or a week of drinking the amount your 'supposed' to have, your body adapts and doesn't carry it anymore as water weight.

Drink more water if you take in too much sodium, and the water will help flush the excess

Anybody feel free to add to this or correct me if I'm wrong, Im wondering myself!!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Drinking water does not add water weight. Not drinking water does. Your body retains water if you are not drinking enough or eating too much sodium. Drinking water causes your body to flush out the water that is retained. The more water you drink the more water you will flush out and the more water weight you will lose.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    ^^what they said.

drinking water doesn't add water weight.
    yes if you down a 20oz bottle of water immediately before stepping on a scale, you'd see a difference.
    but water is water. not fat.
    drink up.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    A few reasons you are supposed to drinnk water are these:

your pee and your Breath are the only ways fat and toxins leave your body.. If you don't drink water you don't pee, thus you don't get rid of the fat stores.

your body is made up of 72 percent water you MUST stay hydrated.

Water actually helps flush out extra water that your muscles are holding onto from exercise./

It also helps flush out the sodium and sugar that also makes you retain water...

water weight isn't bad, because you pee it all out.

If you drink water your body will feel like it is full, this equals less food cravings.

water helps repair muscle,

It makes your skin look healthier and younger

it makes your organs function better.

As you can see it is incredibly important to drink water... If you don't like the flavor I would try adding crystal light to it.. While tea consists mainly of water, I would say it is okay to count a glass or so into your water intake, but you really need to be drinking good ol water...
  • jessie580
    jessie580 Posts: 87
    Options
    I see water as my way of getting away from my desk for a few minutes every hour to sit on the toilet and read facebook from my phone...

it's a nice little break away from my desk. the more water I drink, the more I can take a few minute potty break.

oh and it's GOOD FOR YOU :flowerforyou:
  • durhamity
    durhamity Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Water flushes fat. That's the goal, right? To get rid of fat? Be consistent in how much water you drink on a daily basis and your body will adapt and not hang on to it. Advoid caffinated beverages. Recommended amount of water is 1/2 your body weight.
  • emcando
    emcando Posts: 48
    Options
    I occassionally flavor my water. But I mostly drink it straight and I don't count coffee or anything else I might drink as water consumption. I try to drink 6-8 16.9 oz bottles of water a day (I reuse for those environmentalists out there). It's so cleansing...

Everything in your body needs water to function best... skin, muscles, blood, etc... I once read an article that you need to drink half your body weight in water daily. If you drink caffeine, or take a diuretic, you need to drink more - because water helps flush you out and keeps your organs healthy.

I'm babbling. I hope I was helpful.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Yes to all of the above. My nutritionist said the following counts as water: Non Carbonated, No Cafeine, No Sugar. Therefore, Crystal Light, Mio, and all of the Vitamin Water Zero type products count as water.

But that being said, I would still drink water as well.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I see water as my way of getting away from my desk for a few minutes every hour to sit on the toilet and read facebook from my phone...

it's a nice little break away from my desk. the more water I drink, the more I can take a few minute potty break.

oh and it's GOOD FOR YOU :flowerforyou:

LOL! I totally do this!
  • zoecas2125
    zoecas2125 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Water is great for you. If you drink at least 8 cups of water a day for the 1st week of your weight loss journey you will loose weight. Water helps to flush out your body. Also, if you drink a lot of coffee and drinks with sugar in it, those drinks keeps your body dehydrated. For every cup of coffee, try and drink 2 cups of water after.

I drink a lot of green tea durning the day. It's great and cleans you out. But I do not add sugar to my tea. And if your looking into pre-made tea, make sure to check on the sugar content. You can also add lemon to your water to give it flavor.

You actually do not gain weight by drinking water, you actually loose water retension.
  • cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's a well-known medical fact that our bodies require about 2 liters (8 cups) of water per day. Yes, you can do it with tea, but not necessarily with juice for the counter (although that's debatable, too, I hear). The trick is to avoid sugary drinks and/or fatty ones.

It was really hard for me at first to drink the full amount because I felt like I'd float away, as some have mentioned. But I've now often found myself drinking 10 glasses a day, no problem. I've also found that the weeks I am good about my water consumption I lose more weight than during the ones I don't get enough water.

Well, and read what kimmerroze said so I don't get redundant. :wink:
  • makeachange22
    makeachange22 Posts: 151
    Options
    it only adds "water" weight for a day and its good weight, it flushes out all the nonsense you put in your body for the day .. it's x amount of water per x amount of calories and ESPECIALLY SODIUM. and besides water is just a vital part of healthy living and life all together
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that we get water from all sorts of places. Fruit, tea, coffee, etc. Every little bit counts, and helps us stay hydrated. Regular brewed tea is best if you're having tea, because the bottled teas tend to have a lot of sugar (with the exception of Honest Teas, some of those bottled only have a few calories).

The idea of 8 glasses of water per day is explained very well in this very good source (Scientific American). I've posted it before on MFP and the overall response was that people found it VERY helpful.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day
  • myshell67
    myshell67 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    you should try the crystal light packets. 1/2 a pack to 8 oz of water it's really good & less than 5 cals. good luck!!!
  • emcando
    emcando Posts: 48
    Options
    I just want to say too... the flavor packets are chemicals... and so you have to weigh your disdain of water vs. putting un-needed chemicals in your body. I just wanted to put that out there...

I do it once-in-a-while... but daily or every bottle of water... for me, not worth it.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    you will learn to love water have a small glass with meals it helps you not over eat
  • Brandy3827
    Brandy3827 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Haha! Me too!
  • mari0605
    mari0605 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    THE AFFECT OF WATER (Proper Hydration)
    Drinking plenty of water is essential to the success of losing weight, as you cleanse the body of the excess
    toxins in a typical American diet. Drinking the recommended amount of water can seem like a
    challenge at first, but stick with it. Carry a large sports bottle or similar item with you throughout the
    day. After the 21 days, you will find that you actually thirst for more water, and the amount recommended
    is easily reached.

Proper hydration aids fat loss in a number of ways:

• The kidneys are unable to function without adequate water. \When they do not work to capacity
    some of their load is dumped onto the liver. This diverts the liver from its primary function, which
    is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy. Because it's performing the chores of the waterdepleted
    kidneys, the liver metabolizes less fat.
    • Overeating can be averted through water intake, as water can keep the stomach feeling full and satisfied
    between meals. The majority of the time when you think you are hungry, you are actually
    thirsty.
    • Ice cold water requires calories to warm it to core body temperature.
    • It is estimated that you should consume a minimum of 80 oz of water per day. To determine your
    specific amount of daily water intake, take your weight in pounds and divide that number in half.
    The answer gives you the number of ounces of water per day that you need to drink. If you exercise,
    you should drink another 8 oz. for every 20 minutes that you are active.

Don't be surprised if you are taking multiple trips to the restroom, especially during the first week. Remember, your body is an adaptive system, and it will soon acconunodate the increased water consumption.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Here is a good web page I found:

http://www.weightlossforall.com/benefits-water-drinking.htm#b
    :flowerforyou:
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Also, if you drink a lot of coffee and drinks with sugar in it, those drinks keeps your body dehydrated. For every cup of coffee, try and drink 2 cups of water after.

"Last but not least, does coffee really dehydrate you? Doctors and nutritionist say no – but it does work as a mild diuretic, which causes the body to lose some fluid, in the same way tea or a plain glass of water can do.

Source: Skinny Chef, http://skinnychef.com/blog/is-coffee-bad-for-you/