Is it really just calories in vs calories out?

Options
2»

Replies

• l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    This confused me a bit initially, too. Then I read about the dietician-guy who did the Twinkie diet, and it made more sense.

So the way I look at it is: Calories in/out is the rule for losing weight, but try to keep those calories within certain dietary guidelines (like someone else said, 40/30/30 is a good guideline). Different people have different nutritional needs, though. Some people thrive on carb restricted diets, for example, other people dont. I really cant give you any input to your dietary needs, you may want to talk to your doctor at some point. I've been doing that at least every other month since I started trying to lose weight (mid January). So far I'm doing really well just watching calories as a rule and doing as best I can to stay in the 40/30/30 ballpark, and she really loves the data I pull from my bodymedia fit monitor (which is why I ended up getting an Ambien prescription...)
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    hiya.

i'm fairly new to this too (been here 6 weeks or so), and TBH i've found the food tracker really useful. i don't know about fat/carb ratios- and i don't care much either. focussing on that is not going to make this easier for me. this is about a change in lifestyle, not a fad where i have to weigh, assess, and ridiculously measure my food intake. i might get there, but it's not happening soon!!
    i've found the tracker really good for letting me know what the really bad foods are for sodium (ie luncheon meat!), and then i can choose not to go there again. i'm usually in the green for most food groups at the end of the day.
    so i say that if balancing your diet to such a high degree is not a priority for you, i'd just eat healthily and see what happens.
  • need2lose31
    Options
    My sodium intake on MFP is listed at 2500 mg per day, Im not sure if this is something I changed while messing around with my intake guidelines or is this is this the RDA?
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    I think it is, pretty much, BUT... it's good to track and see what's working for you and what feels good. This is speaking from the mindset of someone who's fairly sedentary. I'd be more worried about that balance if I was training. Not worried about running a marathon - just want to be able to enjoy long walks on knees that aren't feeling as stressed.

That said, I am using it to watch my balance - to lower both my sodium and carb intake.

I was on WW prior to this and had been plateaued for about a year (after losing 90 lbs.) Started losing weight immediately by tracking calories on MFP, so right now, I'm thinking calories in vs. calories out rules. ;)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Check out the link in my signature and you will find successful weight loss from people whose daily intake of fat (healthy fats) ranges from 50% to 70%. It isn't the fat that is making us fat. It's the carbs and sugars (mainly grain carbs, processed carbs, and refined sugars).

Carbs drive insulin and insulin drives fat storage.

I spent 6 months losing 10lbs. Since I started eating Primal 3 weeks ago (I cut out all grains and sugars except sugar from fruit; dairy is optional but does cause an insulin spike) I have dropped 4.6lbs of pure body fat. My muscle mass is intact.

Ignore my previous post. This is what works for me. Because of the amazing changes going on in my body and my mind and the increase in my energy levels I want to shout it out to everyone "this is the way to do it!!!". But that isn't support or advice. Before I went primal I had someone on this site - stroutman81; you'll see his posts; he's very knowledgeable and will help you if you PM him your stats and your goals -gave me advice on getting lean while already being at a healthy weight. His fat number for me was 25%-30%, 1g of protein per pound of goal body weight, 1-3 servings of fruit and 3-6 servings of veggies and anything else I wanted within my calorie range. Healthy fats are very good for the body. And make sure you are getting most of your carbs through veggies/fruits. You get the most "bang for your buck" with these (nutrients). Try to go as whole, natural and unprocessed as you can with your diet. Weight is mostly about calories in/calories out but the quality of the calorie will make a difference for long term health.

It sounds to me like what you are doing is working - no reason to change it until it stops working. Meanwhile do some research on calories and the way the body handles calories. Also do some research on carbs, fats, and protein and how the body uses them. I was continually researching and reading and as I learned things I would tweak my calories or my foods or my ratios.
  • krb731
    krb731 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Psh, you're just starting. Take it slow and don't bother with details like that until you have a handle on staying at your calorie limit and getting exercise into your schedule. Remember, babysteps! Gradually you will start to pay more attention to your food and where your calories are coming from, if you want to eventually follow his advice then great for you, but don't get stressed out in the details now. Take it slow and you'll make it to your goal :)

This is great advise.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    My sodium intake on MFP is listed at 2500 mg per day, Im not sure if this is something I changed while messing around with my intake guidelines or is this is this the RDA?

I think this is the recommendation in the US, and is the default in MFP. I ve changed mine to 1500 which is the Australian RDA.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Weight is just about calories in vs calories out, but weight has little to do with body shape or health. That is about composition of your food and exercise.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    weight has little to do with body shape or health. That is about composition of your food and exercise.
    I don't think you really meant to say that, i.e. suggesting that weight has little to do with health.

If someone eats great food, but far far too much of it, and as a consequence weighs 400lb, it will definitely have serious effects on their health, however organic their food is and however much they exercise.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Technically speaking it is calories in vs. calories out. If you ate 1200 calories of fast food a day you'd still lose weight, but you would likely have a myriad of other health issues come up. You would also probably not feel very well. I focus on calories and sodium.

Same here!
    In order of importance to my health plan - I watch calories first, sodium second, carbs third, fat & cholesterol tie for fourth!

I disagree with the sodium carbs and fat being second most important. Yes, for weight loss and to cut down on bad stuff. But thats focusing on bad. How about focusing on what your body needs? Good healthy nutrition. Are you getting enough of this and that vitamine and min.? What healthy foods will help you get more healthy? those are the ones that are usally lower sodium, less processed, and fiber rich anyway. So if you focus on what will satisfy your daily nutrition needs you will naturally be cutting down on all that's not so healthy, plus have a healthier balance of carbs, fats, protein, and sodium. Incidentally, fiber is a big deal.