sugar problem..

Options
amanda07425
amanda07425 Posts: 105 Member
So I've been getting recommendations to lower my sugar intake to help lose weight since i've been at a stand still the past few weeks... my question is... I try to eat healthy by drinking milk and eating fruits.. but those have a lot of sugar! So how do avoid all that sugar when those things are good for you?! I have cereal for breakfast on most days but half my sugar i'm allowed for the day is simply in my milk! What do you do?! Help!

Replies

• sleepy7
    sleepy7 Posts: 104
    Options
    I have been drinking tea instead of milk in the morning, but I just put lemon in and no sugar whatsoever. I will drink milk after i workout because my body is usually craving the protein.
  • genie98
    genie98 Posts: 62
    Options
    I would like to know too! Great question!
  • alynnbennett
    alynnbennett Posts: 182
    Options
    Some sugar is good sugar like the kind in fruits. So I would watch the sugar you in take in processed foods. I have a sugar problem also, I love Chobani and it was loaded with sugar so I now buy the plain and mix in frozen raspberries and one equal packet and it's delicious. There is always ways around your sugar intake just be careful cookies, cakes and things like that are bad sugars. Good luck! Feel free to add me. :drinker:
  • psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    Some sugar is good sugar like the kind in fruits. So I would watch the sugar you in take in processed foods. I have a sugar problem also, I love Chobani and it was loaded with sugar so I now buy the plain and mix in frozen raspberries and one equal packet and it's delicious. There is always ways around your sugar intake just be careful cookies, cakes and things like that are bad sugars. Good luck! Feel free to add me. :drinker:

i just started doing that today-it was just a good as the flavored kind!!
  • Marcieb21
    Marcieb21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I actually have stopped drinking milk at all. Not only for the diet, but also because i am allergic to it (so it seems) I just take a calcium supplement every day.
  • Roe1968
    Roe1968 Posts: 133
    Options
    first - try drinking almond milk instead of regular milk...way healthier and no chemicals like the cow milk (they give them chemicals to fatten them up and those chemicals cow out in the dairy they produce. ...second natural sugars found in fruit are not a concern, eat away - but only 3whole fruits (ex: apple, pear, orange, banana) or 1 cup of berries or dices fruits a day!!!! ...its the processed sugars that you must stay away from!!!
  • botography
    botography Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have the same question. My problem... I touch it... I crave it.. and it is sooo hard then to stay away. Not sure how to handle it over time. I can fix it day to day but I know I will break down and it will be all over. Been there, done that!
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    I actually have stopped drinking milk at all. Not only for the diet, but also because i am allergic to it (so it seems) I just take a calcium supplement every day.

yep! humans weren't intended to drink cow's milk. Does it even make sense to drink it, really? Not really. I am not anti-milk. I do have some here and there, but I don't thnk it's a necessity like a lot of folks do. You can find calcium in other places, for example greens. Anyway, good luck. I don't really watch sugar because I don't eat sugary stuff or drink sugary drinks. I don't worry about it if I go over, because some mornings, I could eat a banana and be over already! Maybe there's another issue that is causing your standstill?
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Try unsweetened almond milk- i love it! Cow's milk is no bueno.
  • AndyAt160lbs
    AndyAt160lbs Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It is not just sugar you need to limit but carbs as well, carbs are converted to glycogen in your body (Sugar) Carbs are sugar and sugar is a carb basically. Try and eat food lower on the glycemic index (under 50) and just lower your overall carb intake and you will lose weight. If you are eating like 250 grams of carbs a day start by cutting it to like 200, give yourself some time to adjust, then try 150. I limit myself to 100 grams or less a day but I am type 2 diabetic, so your body can handle carbs better then mine so I would say 150 grams a day you could do easy. Just my 2 cents.

God Bless.
  • aunt_hbomb
    aunt_hbomb Posts: 204
    Options
    Schedule a visit with a dietician. The dietician really helped me get my eating habits turned around. They know all the products that are low in sugar.
  • bluemoonrise
    bluemoonrise Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sugar is one of the things I monitor in my diary, and I tend to go over every so often. I am not concerned about the sugar intake from fruits. What I do review is how much of it is from processed foods & drinks. I was never an avid coke drinker, so it was easy for me to just reach for water instead. I do, however, LOVE chocolate. If I were to buy a candy bar, I put it in the freezer right away. It is not as enjoyable to eat when it is cold and hard, and I have to break off in small pieces in order to eat it. This has helped me restrict my calories when it comes to sugary snacks.

Breakfast options - If you are drinking milk only for calcium, you can sub it with (non-flavoured) Greek yoghurt, and you would be upping your protein intake as well. You can also make smoothies using unsweetened almond milk and frozen berries and it is delicious, filling and relatively low on calories and sugar.

I am not sure what kind of cereal you like, but a lot of them are heaving on sugar, or high in fat. Yoghurt + granola + fruit is a good substitute.

I used to crave a sugar laden option for breakfast and after meals, but limiting the amount of refined sugar in the morning has helped me monitor and control my cravings.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    first - try drinking almond milk instead of regular milk...way healthier and no chemicals like the cow milk (they give them chemicals to fatten them up and those chemicals cow out in the dairy they produce. ...second natural sugars found in fruit are not a concern, eat away - but only 3whole fruits (ex: apple, pear, orange, banana) or 1 cup of berries or dices fruits a day!!!! ...its the processed sugars that you must stay away from!!!

The almond milk is very low in protein, and that is the main reason I drink milk so I buy organic to avoid the nasty stuff.

Personally, I only worry about added sugar, which you should keep to an absolute minimum. Most guidelines I've read suggest no more than 100 calories a day from added sugar, which is around 25 grams. You may want to go lower, and certainly no harm in not having any sugar at all.
  • kkimora26
    kkimora26 Posts: 8
    Options
    I've started to lower my carbs some and my sugars are super low now as well...thats the only way I've been able to do it. otherwise I'm always super over my sugar :ohwell:
  • cds193
    cds193 Posts: 12 Member
    Options

so called "chemicals" are not given to dairy cows, this is illegal, once an animal has been injected with penicillin or trivetrin, their milk will not go for consumption for a required period of time. Long acting and short acting penicillin have different times. I think what you are reffering to here is the hormone injections that are given to beef cattle (under the skin in the ear) and are not given to dairy cows. However, I do not know about the calorie difference.
  • AndyAt160lbs
    AndyAt160lbs Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Also if you are drinking fat free milk it is like liquid sugar to your body, without the fat it converts very fast to glycogen. If you can get it drink either full fat raw milk , or almond milk but stay away from the fat free cows milk.

God Bless.
  • jennyb31
    jennyb31 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem, almost ALL my sugar is from fresh fruit. but I tend to go over and wondered if I should worry. I am trying to keep in undercontrol but have the terrible sweet cravings as well.
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I drink Silk Almond milk the unsweetened one. 0 sugar and 35 calories per cup! I stay under 20 grams of sugar per day.
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Also a good book to read (Amazon) Stop Only Sugar by Dr. Surrell. Great great read.
  • peacepunchcaptaincruch
    Options
    wow that is a great idea to add splenda or equal to plain chobani yogurt! I had the same issue, I loveee that yogurt but it was high in sugar so I switched to plain and added raisins or grapes.