Mangos

Options
Hi - does anyone have a quick & easy method for preparing a mango to eat as a fresh fruit??

I was tired of ho-hum fruit so wanted something different - LOL - so I bought mangos but failed miserably at trying to remove the core/seed - ended up with a mushy mess!

HELP!!

Replies

• cnance
    cnance Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mangoes but my daughter loves them.

I slice vertically around the core as best as I can. So that there are 4 slices with meat side up and skin on. Then score the meat into little cubes still attached to the skin. The cubes can then be eaten directly from the skin. It's messy but it works. I found this method on the 'net somewhere. The hardest part is cutting close to the core, but don't try to cut the core cuz its like a rock.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    You can get an OXO Mango Splitter for about $12.50 at Target. It does the job pretty well.
  • clem7444
    clem7444 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I peel the mango using a carrot peeler. Then, I slice the bottom and top as close to the core as I can so it will stand up. Then, I slice along each of the 4 sides of the mango as close to the core as possible. My mango now lookes almost like a cube. If there is extra meat on the corners, I slice it off each of them as close to the core as possible, making a 3 dimensional octagon. I usually gnaw on the core too because my knife can't get all the good stuff and there's tons left! Then, I dice all removed fruit into bite size pieces.

You can also toss all those mango pieces into a food processor with cilantro, lime juice, onion and garlic for some mango salsa. YUMMY!
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    cut off the mango on both sides of the pit.
    take your knife and cut through the mango halves, making cubes, (but try to avoid cutting through the skin)
    take a spoon and run it between the skin and the cubes, (like you were eating a grapefruit)
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    Keep the skin intact and cut to the seed. Then try to cut as close to the seed vertically to get the most meat.

BTW.... The stress and exercise you burn trying to peel a mango is double the calorie intake, so keep eating them. (lol, just kidding of course)
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 268
    Options
    Keep the skin intact and cut to the seed. Then try to cut as close to the seed vertically to get the most meat.

BTW.... The stress and exercise you burn trying to peel a mango is double the calorie intake, so keep eating them. (lol, just kidding of course)

Not to mention the curse words - LOL

Thanks everyone for the advice - I'll give it a go again tonight and see if I do better :)