Weigh meat before or after cooking?

Options
5891ben
5891ben Posts: 10 Member
I just wondered whether you people weigh your meat before or after cooking. For example tonight I am having gammon steak. It is 170 calories per 100grams grilled (the packet says so). The before cooking weight is 250grams but after cooking it only weighs 200grams. So is it recorded on MFP as, A) 170x2.5 or B) 170x2.

The difference is a sizeable 85 calories... And whilst I've been recording the higher weight to be safe, so far, I'd gladly use those 85 calories elsewhere now I'm only allowed 1390 cals a day.

Thoughts?

Cheers :-)

Replies

• msbrownbeauty87
    msbrownbeauty87 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump i would like to hear what everyone says. Ive always wondered about weight meat before or after
  • emae13
    emae13 Posts: 6
    Options
    I think you should just used the weight after grilled.
    First, because that's what the packet says so :P
    Second, weight difference can be due to dehydration of the meat when grilled/cooked. So maybe that extra weight before you cook is just, water.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My dietician says AFTER b/c meat shrinks when you cook it.

(One of the specific things I asked b/c I was curious as well!)
  • Roe1968
    Roe1968 Posts: 133
    Options
    4 OUNCES RAW OR 3 OUNCES COOKED...
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    It does not matter whether you weigh your meat before or after cooking. All credible sources of nutritional information will specify whether the figures they are giving are for raw or cooked meat - and if cooked, how it's cooked.

You'll see descriptions such as Steak, grilled, raw weight 8oz
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    The rule of thumb is to weigh before cooking. The nutrition facts on packages of meat are for uncooked meat because it is impossible to know how much fat is cooked off or how much the meat shrinks durring cooking process. It is probably different every time, not by too much I'm sure, but that is the rule.