Picky Eater

Options
OK...so I'm a picky eater. I'm afraid to try new things. What are some good "starter" items to try to add to my diet?

For example...veggie wise, I usually only eat corn (carb city!), peas, green beans and carrots. Any suggestions for some mild tasting veggies?

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Green giant frozen baby lima beans are good (my kids even like them and I HATED lima beans with a passion while growing up). Make certain you get the unsauced ones. Also, take a head of cauliflower, cut it up and roast it with a little olive oil, parmesan cheese and pepper. It's mild and really good. Take a zucchini, a yellow summer squash and saute them in a little olive oil and Italian seasoning (I add mushrooms and onions to mine). If you like green beans, there are a zillion different ways to make fresh ones. My favorite is to steam a pound of green beans, then saute some mushrooms and green onion in 1 t of butter, add the green beans and some fresh ground pepper. Good luck, I'm picky too so just keep trying different things.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    broccoli!

Or get those steam bags that have broccoli /carrots / cauliflower in them. Add cheese if necessary.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Corn is a grain, not a veggie.

Asparagus and artichoke are favorite of mine. Anything steamed with a bit of seasoned salt I'll eat :)
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Wow, you consider green beans to be mild tasting? I think they're very strong and rather terrible. :-) But that's a matter of preference, I suppose.

Some veggies to try: spinach and cucumbers. Cucumbers literally taste like crunchy water to me, but I find them refreshing so I love to eat them.

P.S. Corn is a grain so I would treat it as such - meaning, treat it like eating rice if you're trying to lower your carb intake a bit. But remember, carbs aren't evil! Espeically when they come from whole grains like corn!
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are so yummy!
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm picky too! I used to eat only iceberg lettuce and carrots, hahaha.

The secret to enlarging your veg repretoire is to keep trying the vegetables, just prepare them differently each time.

Some vegetables I've "learned" to like, with the ways I found I can eat them:
    -portobello mushrooms (grilled with balsamic vinaigrette)
    -red peppers (raw or roasted), eggplant (marinated and grilled)
    -brussel sprouts (roasted in olive oil and garlic)
    - kale (wilted in beans and greens w/ lots of garlic)
    - broccoli (sauteed in brown sesame oil)
    - tomatoes (in sauces and salsas, I still hate them raw).

Also, if you can "learn" to like onions, they are delicious cooked with all of the above. Spring onions and vidalia are milder and good beginner onion.
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    OK...so I'm a picky eater. I'm afraid to try new things. What are some good "starter" items to try to add to my diet?

For example...veggie wise, I usually only eat corn (carb city!), peas, green beans and carrots. Any suggestions for some mild tasting veggies?

Haha i only like corn and carrots and broccoli....bad i know......the others just taste...bleh....guess i am a little bit of a picky eater!