Options
    bump
  • MrsFantastic
    Options
    Bump
  • TroyBa
    TroyBa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Excellent post, keep the workouts coming!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I tried swimming a while back as I wasn't planning on doing triathlons and was no good at it. I probably didn't persist long enough though. Have now injured my leg so I think I may be able to use some swimming as a low impact rehab type exercise so I will put this post up to subscribe to this thread. It is Winter here but I hope the local pool is heated.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    what a great thread! thanks for giving the workout suggestions. i just finished my third swimming lesson today, and i've finally learned how to swim freestyle properly. :) also have started training for a sprint triathlon so this will be very helpful. :flowerforyou:
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options

For those of you who are not sure of all the terms, check out these sites below
    http://www.swimsmooth.com/glossary.html - I really like this one. It has a GREAT demo of how to complete a full stroke to really gain your efficiency when swimming. I see so many people in the pool who are putting in a ton of effort and go nowhere. Read up on this!!!

thanks for this website reco! i'm actually watching a demo of mr. smooth right now! :) this site is an amazing resource, esp. for newbies like myself. :)
  • FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    I love to swim. :) ♥ i find that i burn more calories in swimming than anything else. not only that. its fun for me. :D i make my own style of swimming.

actually where i go swimming. there are more big people that does swimming than anyone else i have seen. there are some just really good swimmer there too. but i see more big people go. i guess its easier on their body. and not only that they are burning calories and it is a fun workout to do.
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    bump.. thanks for starting the thread.. this is something i would like to start doing this summer so all of this helps:)
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm thrilled that everyone is appreciating the thread! Here's what I'll do... I'll simply keep editing my first message every time I add a new workout... that will hopefully bump it to the top, but does anyone have a better suggestion so those who want it actually get it? I've only been on MFP for a few weeks so I don't know all the tips and tricks.

I'd also LOVE to know how the workouts are treating you and get some feedback on them if you try them... especially for the "beginners" (too hard? too easy? too boring?). I'll always put up the ones that I do, but if anyone has any suggestions of something they'd like to see just lemme know!
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If you keep adding to this thread, that will bump it to the top. Those of us who have replied to it now have it in our posts and can check for new posts. Also, I think something comes up on the feed if you are a friend!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If you edit the post, it won't go to the top I don't think. I would just add a new reply.
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Swimming is my favorite exercise. I recently joined a fitness club which has a terrific pool. I swim every other day and take water aerobics 2-3 times per week. My son was a competitive swimmer in high school and I grew up on a lake, so swimming is in our "genes" so to speak.

Thanks for the websites . . I am going to check them out.
  • stefvance32
    stefvance32 Posts: 12
    Options
    bump! love swimming.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    Options
    OK Everyone... I've decided to start a blog on MFP. Here's the link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TheFranLover. I'll input all workouts in that space. I've added a new one that is a killer as well as the previous 2. If you'd like to view or try some of the workouts, then please subscribe to the blog since keeping track of this thread will get a bit difficult for me and I think the workouts will get lost in the mix. As always, feel free to ask any questions! Thanks!
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Off to the gym to try out one of these workouts!
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,266 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    Options
    Hey everyone... I've continued to input workouts on the blog... 6 total so far:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TheFranLover
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Hurray for all the swimmers out there! I do some long distance swims mixed in with some speed medium distance. Today's first workout for me is 6x500m (3k!). Good to see you have some distance workouts in there. Anyone else doing long distance?
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    Options
    Hurray for all the swimmers out there! I do some long distance swims mixed in with some speed medium distance. Today's first workout for me is 6x500m (3k!). Good to see you have some distance workouts in there. Anyone else doing long distance?

You are awesome! I haven't done a main set like that in a LONG time. About 1 1/2 yrs ago, I did a work out w/ a team at the Sherman Oaks/Van Nuys pool (I see that you live in LA and I used to live in LA as well) and we did 5x500's. That's the closest I've been to it since my real training days in highschool and college when we'd do 10k once a week w/ main sets that were usually 4-6k.

On the blog, I try to keep the workouts down in yardage a bit since I have no interest in repeating the craziness I did in highschool, and I figured there weren't too many folks on here that would try them either. Feel free to toss me a swimming workout if you'd like and I'll put it up on the blog!
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    bump