Questions about Atkins

martinah4
martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi! I have a few questions. Can anyone help? First, if you eat a food that is not on the Atkins-approved list, does that immediately throw you out of ketosis, and you have to start Induction again? Second, does anyone know if Zone bars or Balance bars are compatible with Atkins? I wasn't sure because of the whole sugars/sugar alcohol thing, but Zone and Balance are a little less expensive than the Atkins bars. Please only respond if you are doing Atkins or are a low-carber. Thanks!

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Ketosis can vary by person. If your goal is a certain number of carbs per day, as long as you don't exceed that too much, it shouldn't matter too much what you eat. (That does not mean use up all your carbs with one piece of bread. That's not healthy.)

Also, I would suggest staying away from any so-called low carb foods (Atkins products included), esp those with sugar alcohols. Those may not be as low carb as they claim. You're better off if your main source of carbs are the healthy kind, like non-starchy veggies.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Agree w/Q... Sugar Alchols can also give you the trots! Also those bars are really just calories and mostly empty ones. If you decide bars are the kind of snack you want to have try one with more protein. Pure Protein bars are 180-220 calories and about 17-20 grams of protein.

If what you are doing doesn't work (it didn't for me) then try a high protein diet. Protein and Fiber keep you fuller through the day and building lean muscle and are keys to burning fat.

Good Luck!
  • No, the but it could cause you complications like increased hunger/cravings, a stall (which doesn't mean you're out of ketosis)

I eat anything I want as long as it's under 20 carbs for the day, and I've done just fine.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Thanks, everyone! I've been eating the bars since I started as my little endulgence at the end of the day. I consider it a reward. So far, it hasn't seemed to affect my weight loss. My only complaint is that they are so pricey! I might try the suggestion of a protein bar, but I still need the carbs to be within 2 net. Sometimes I just roll up a piece of ham with cheese.

I'm keeping it at 20 a day or less, and really trying to get most of those out of veggies and salads. I'm relieved that I can't fall in and out of ketosis just by eating one thing wrong!

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.