Trying to make a good change

Options
Hello,

I am a 34 year old accountant who has been big my whole life. Seeing if I can do something to change that before I lose the bet I have been winning and get medical conditions to deal with on top of my weight.

Been doing reasonable so far. Down about 15 pounds in the last month. I just really want to get healthy and be able to do things again. Death is not the new sexy.

I think my biggest inspiration to lose weight has to be my 9 year old Nephew. He is already 110 pounds. I know for a fact I was less than 100 pounds at his age. That scares me. Makes me feel irresponsible for being as big as I am in front of him and knowing how much he will miss in his life if he continues on that path.

So from 407 pounds down to 200 is my goal. I pray I have the mental focus to continue on my path. If I lose two pounds a week should only take two years.... Well, nothing but time, right?

Replies

• Kiwijay
    Kiwijay Posts: 216
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome on board and good luck. The motivation and support you get her on MFP is awesome and you will get to your goal. Enjoy the journey
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Yeah, it's a wake-up call to realize we are effectively doing ourselves in.

MFP is magic. There are no shortcuts or pills or fads here - just solid work and consistent-over-time results.

The key is consistency in your posting and in your review of your eating and exercising. As you see that eating is making you go over your limits, your rational mind will say things like "Yowza! A simple Starbucks cookie is an entire meal's worth of calories!" and "So just walking for 30 minutes a day (15 minutes to and from work) can take another 200 calories away!" and your lifestyle will change.

It's a lifestyle change. Not boot camp and not punishment. Just a way to say "you were made for better things." And eating right and exercising will lead to change.

Good luck. Stick around and keep us up-to-date with what's going on.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I started here at 313.5 pounds with the same attitude--hoping i had enough drive to continue on, no matter how hard it was... Ive been big my whole life. In 3rd grade I think I was 135pounds, and in 6th grade i was 198pounds. By freshman year I was 240. Ive been here since 3-7-11, and lost 32lbs in that time... Ive had weeks of plateus (3weeks one time, 2weeks the other) that have been really hard on me... but I keep fighting for that will power to loose my weight..

Youve come this far, enough to know you need change, and want to change.. that was a major step... you can do the rest...

PS-Im a receptionist/accountant--so am sitting all day too, doing the same work as you.. Feel free to add me if youd like ;-)