Food and Your Period

Options
So many people have questions about that dreaded time of the month. I thought this might be helpful...

Food and Your Period

Okay, as women there are just some things that we typically associate with our periods. Chocolate, sweets, greasy comfort foods. But did you know that these foods actually can make your PMS symptoms worse?1 Check out the dish on the foods to avoid and the grub to go for during your period. It may surprise you!

Foods to avoid during your period :

Caffeine elevates estrogen levels that increases symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Cutting back on caffeine, which is found in tea, coffee, colas and chocolate, can relieve breast tenderness during your period.

Alcohol increases premenstrual depression and headaches. Try to avoid it during your period.

Sugar causes rapid swings in blood sugar levels, triggering mood swings. Avoid candy and sweets when you can.

Salt increases water retention, which leads to bloating. Foods you should avoid include fast foods or anything else with more than 50 mg of sodium, like most chips.

Avoid fatty and greasy foods such as beef, lamb and pork and eat fish and poultry instead.

What to eat instead:

To beat your sweet tooth, eat complex carbohydrates like pasta, rice, beans, cereal and whole grains.

Vitamins A and D help you steer clear of pitfalls like acne and oily skin. Good sources include cantaloupe, raw carrots, cooked sweet potatoes, spinach, enriched milk and cereal.

Vitamin B6 helps relieve premenstrual cravings, fatigue, mood swings, fluid retention and bloating. You can find it in fish, eggs, nuts, bananas, potatoes, and the white meat of turkey and chicken.

Make premenstrual stress a thing of the past by eating broccoli, bell peppers, Brussels sprouts, citrus fruits, cranberry juice and cantaloupe, which are all rich in vitamin C.

Reference

1 Watson, Stephanie, “How PMS Works: Treatment for PMS: Diet,” (2006).

Replies

• kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    So many people have questions about that dreaded time of the month. I thought this might be helpful...

Food and Your Period

Okay, as women there are just some things that we typically associate with our periods. Chocolate, sweets, greasy comfort foods. But did you know that these foods actually can make your PMS symptoms worse?1 Check out the dish on the foods to avoid and the grub to go for during your period. It may surprise you!

Foods to avoid during your period :

Caffeine elevates estrogen levels that increases symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Cutting back on caffeine, which is found in tea, coffee, colas and chocolate, can relieve breast tenderness during your period.

Alcohol increases premenstrual depression and headaches. Try to avoid it during your period.

Sugar causes rapid swings in blood sugar levels, triggering mood swings. Avoid candy and sweets when you can.

Salt increases water retention, which leads to bloating. Foods you should avoid include fast foods or anything else with more than 50 mg of sodium, like most chips.

Avoid fatty and greasy foods such as beef, lamb and pork and eat fish and poultry instead.

What to eat instead:

To beat your sweet tooth, eat complex carbohydrates like pasta, rice, beans, cereal and whole grains.

Vitamins A and D help you steer clear of pitfalls like acne and oily skin. Good sources include cantaloupe, raw carrots, cooked sweet potatoes, spinach, enriched milk and cereal.

Vitamin B6 helps relieve premenstrual cravings, fatigue, mood swings, fluid retention and bloating. You can find it in fish, eggs, nuts, bananas, potatoes, and the white meat of turkey and chicken.

Make premenstrual stress a thing of the past by eating broccoli, bell peppers, Brussels sprouts, citrus fruits, cranberry juice and cantaloupe, which are all rich in vitamin C.

Reference

1 Watson, Stephanie, “How PMS Works: Treatment for PMS: Diet,” (2006).
  • missbeki
    Options
    I was reading on the other one that most people say just dont weigh yourself during your period because of water retention and I was wondering how long after your period it takes to go back to normal because I just started mine and now I am scared to see what my weight is!

I have only been dieting for 3 weeks and I get discouraged very easy and I am doing really good right now and don't want to feel like I am going backwards.
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I was reading on the other one that most people say just dont weigh yourself during your period because of water retention and I was wondering how long after your period it takes to go back to normal because I just started mine and now I am scared to see what my weight is!

I have only been dieting for 3 weeks and I get discouraged very easy and I am doing really good right now and don't want to feel like I am going backwards.

Well...I'm not really sure. I weigh myself every day which some people don't like to do. I like it because I know that weight fluxuates and this way I can see all the highs and lows. Once I maintain for at least 2 days, I count it. But I only adjust my weight on this site once a week...I have a group and we weigh in on Tuesdays so I will post whatever I weigh that day. But...if you don't want to weigh in while on your period, I would wait until you no longer feel bloated...that would be my advice.

Good luck!
  • Juliebean
    Options

I usually wait until at least 2 days after I'm done. This way I don't get as discouraged with the thought of an instant/overnight weight gain. :grumble:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    My mother swears a man wrote this.....she says no woman in her right mind would Suggest no alcohol and chocolate to a PMSing female :laugh:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Yep, I saw the topic and thought "Max, you need to weigh in on this one!"

:noway:

maybe he wrote this:huh: .....MAX you have some splainin' to do!!!!:angry:
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Okay, now that I know all the things I CAN"T have :angry: :angry: :angry:

Do you really want to know what I'm like with no coffee in the morning, no chocolate during my TOM, no alcohol :noway: Haha, I think NOT! :laugh:

Maybe I'll follow this guideline, yeah right! I need my sanity, and you guys need me to have my sanity too! :laugh:

..........now where's my beer :huh:
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the topic. I have been strictly whole foods over a week. Pretty much what your topic was all about & guess what - NO BLOATING 4 me! :happy: This is a first EVER! I am pumped. Didn't weigh in today, but will check it tomorrow because usually I see an 8 lb difference. So, if Max wrote it, good for him - it's certainly working 4 me. :happy:
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the topic. I have been strictly whole foods over a week. Pretty much what your topic was all about & guess what - NO BLOATING 4 me! :happy: This is a first EVER! I am pumped. Didn't weigh in today, but will check it tomorrow because usually I see an 8 lb difference. So, if Max wrote it, good for him - it's certainly working 4 me. :happy:

Oops - should have added - the only pasta I have is rice pasta.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    My mother swears a man wrote this.....she says no woman in her right mind would Suggest no alcohol and chocolate to a PMSing female :laugh:

:laugh: :drinker: :laugh: