Speed running vs endurance running

nevakeelin
nevakeelin Posts: 10
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
which one burns more calories?

Replies

• JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    I think its pretty much the same. Speed running (in 60 second bursts) means that I can keep my heart rate higher for shorter periods of time for a more compressed workout (30 mins) while getting maximum cal burn.

Endurance running of course burns LOADS of cals but that's because you're out there for an hour ++ and any sort of cardio done for extended periods is gonna give wicked burn.

Guess it just depends on what you're looking for.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    trick question

I run a bunch, calories burned are pretty similar whether my pace is 9 minute miles or 7 minute miles

as for sprints, you need endurance to do enough of them to burn anything
  • bluemax87
    bluemax87 Posts: 71
    It's all about how you phrase your question, honestly!

We burn a higher percentage of fat calories at lower intensity. However, we aren't talking about the true numbers, we're talking about percentages... If workout 1, at 30 minutes of easy 'endurance training' burns 250 total calories with 20 grams of fat, 72% of those calories were fat calories. However, if workout 2, at 25 minutes of intense speed running burned 330 total calories with 25 grams of fat, 68% of those calories were fat calories... Everything I can think of points to running at speed. However, you won't build up your endurance (the ability to keep from getting winded) if you don't run for longer periods of time...
  • nevakeelin
    nevakeelin Posts: 10
    hmmm, well, i run/jog down my road which is half mile from my house to the stop sign. so, i've been working at running (more like jogging) the whole thing with out slowing to a walk.
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    I always heard one mile burned is roughly 100 cals , so how ever long it takes you to run or walk 1 mile
This discussion has been closed.