Hairstyle/cut opinions suggestions needed...

Options
I am thinking about getting my hair cut. When it is longer (shoulder length) I tend to always wear it up because my hair is thick and a little bit wavy. Do any of you have any suggestions? I would like something that is fairly easy to style and than works with thick hair. I just want a little change. Thanks guys.

I tried to find a pic of me with my hair down, but couldn't find a good one. there is one in my profile with my graduation cap on that shows the current length of my hair. It is all pretty much one length.

Replies

• FitMomof3
    Options
    I am thinking about getting my hair cut. When it is longer (shoulder length) I tend to always wear it up because my hair is thick and a little bit wavy. Do any of you have any suggestions? I would like something that is fairly easy to style and than works with thick hair. I just want a little change. Thanks guys.

I tried to find a pic of me with my hair down, but couldn't find a good one. there is one in my profile with my graduation cap on that shows the current length of my hair. It is all pretty much one length.
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I was a hairstylist for 7 years and the scariest thing a client would say was, "I want a style, but I don't want to do anything with it..."

My question to you would be what does "I would like something that is fairly easy to style" mean? What is the length of time you are willing to spend every single day? What implements are you willing to use every single day, i.e. hairdryer, round brush, hot rollers, curling iron ect... Do you use styling product? What kinds? Do you were your hair up, because you don't like it on your neck or on the sides of your face?

There are a lot of really cute styles. Have you thought of an a-line bob? Stylist, but fairly easy (in my opinion). Your stylist could thin out the part from the Occipital bone to the nape. Wisp it out. This kind of cut is versatile in terms of style and hair types, and you can still use hair clips and/or put your hair "up." This cut can be as classic or as edgy as you desire. It is a higher maitance style in that you should get your hair cut every 4-6 weeks, but doesn't have to be high maitance when styling it in the morning before work and/or school.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics of final cut and style!
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    When u go to the salon ask them for some style magazines, thats what i did the other day and i got my haircut in a style i never thought would work for me but i have gotten more compliments on it than i can count. It is short and really easy and quick to style. no more hassling with the curling iron and all that time consuming stuff, wash it ,put a little spray , run my fingers thru it and go. It is great. I am sure u will find something u like. :flowerforyou:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    If you really love your waves, and want to make them more pronounced, I suggest layering, especially if you can find someone to do it with a razor. Length of the layers are up to you. The bigger the difference in the lengths of the layers can really change your look and hair.

I cut my hair at the height of the "rhiana/katie holmes" a-line bob craze. I quickly went to another barber and requested layers and bangs because I looked like I had a pyramid head!! lol....
  • Fab140
    Options
    You have an oval face, from what I can tell, so you can get away with just about any cut! I say pick a feature on your face that you want people to zoom in on (like your awesome cheekbones or your pretty eyes:flowerforyou: ) and start the layering there!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I was a hairstylist for 7 years and the scariest thing a client would say was, "I want a style, but I don't want to do anything with it..."

OMG I hate to admit...I've said that to stylists!:noway:
  • Fab140
    Options

OMG I hate to admit...I've said that to stylists!:noway:

GUILTY!!

That's why I do layers. My hair is impossible to work with, and won't hold a style, so I let it run free with lots of layers! lol
  • FitMomof3
    Options

My question to you would be what does "I would like something that is fairly easy to style" mean? What is the length of time you are willing to spend every single day? What implements are you willing to use every single day, i.e. hairdryer, round brush, hot rollers, curling iron ect... Do you use styling product? What kinds? Do you were your hair up, because you don't like it on your neck or on the sides of your face?

There are a lot of really cute styles. Have you thought of an a-line bob? Stylist, but fairly easy (in my opinion). Your stylist could thin out the part from the Occipital bone to the nape. Wisp it out. This kind of cut is versatile in terms of style and hair types, and you can still use hair clips and/or put your hair "up." This cut can be as classic or as edgy as you desire. It is a higher maitance style in that you should get your hair cut every 4-6 weeks, but doesn't have to be high maitance when styling it in the morning before work and/or school.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics of final cut and style!

I wouldn't mind blow drying it everyday and maybe curling it on some days, but I do not want to have to be in the bathroom working on my hair for 30 minutes. As far as styling products, I usually use hairspray to finish and keep any fly-a-ways in place. I wear my hair up because otherwise it gets kinda frizzy, especially when I don't blow dry it. Is there a product out there that helps with frizz?

I was thinking about maybe side swept bangs, but I have a small forehead. Do bangs work with small foreheads?

Thanks for your opinion.
  • FitMomof3
    Options
    When u go to the salon ask them for some style magazines, thats what i did the other day and i got my haircut in a style i never thought would work for me but i have gotten more compliments on it than i can count. It is short and really easy and quick to style. no more hassling with the curling iron and all that time consuming stuff, wash it ,put a little spray , run my fingers thru it and go. It is great. I am sure u will find something u like. :flowerforyou:

Do you have any pics you could post?
  • 612gemini
    Options
    I have been a hairstylist for 16 years. Although I would agree that if you pull your hair up most of the time it is time to cut it, you might not want to cut it too short being that your hair is thick & wavy. When your hair is thick it 'poofs' more than most people would want. When it is a bit longer the length of your hair helps to weigh it down. It also would require a good amount of maintenance in the salon. When you cut your hair short usually you need a cut every 4 weeks. Good luck, let us know what you decide.
  • FitMomof3
    Options
    I found a pic that I like. I'm just not sure if it will work with thick hair.

http://www.latest-hairstyles.com/gallery/short/290.php

What do you think?
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Mine is very long, thick, & curly. I have found that I just can NOT cut my hair much or I end up w/ a big poof of hair! LOL I do ponytails & clips a lot, and when I wear it down it's a LOT of gel to keep the curls manageable.

Good luck finding a cute style!

Jess (hello from a fellow running Mom of 3!)
  • Fab140
    Options

What do you think?

I don't think it would work if you want to keep the maintenance down. With that cut, you may end up with at least an hour of straightening. And the first moment humidity hits your hair (if it's anything like mine!) it will undo the hour's worth of straightening!!
  • 612gemini
    Options
    I love that haircut, it works on thick hair as long as its not too thick. It would be a bit of work though, you would most likely have to use a flat iron to get it that smooth. When you talk to your stylist make sure she knows a bit about you(do you work, have kids etc.) so she will give you a cut that is realistic for your lifestyle. In all honesty if your stylist doesn't ask those questions you may want to find a new one!
  • FitMomof3
    Options
    If it doesn't work out, try this:

Pedro_Accessory_Kit.jpg

That is actually my second choice lol:laugh:
  • tamifanny
    Options
    I have naturally curly hair...when mine is long I would wear it up in a clip as you can see in my photos.

Now I have it short & I just flat iron it where it gets curly over night (which is underneath). I really like it since it makes me look younger by that I mean that I have some style (in my old age). My husband likes my hair long but geeez I'm almost 49! It's more trendy & flattering to my face since gravity is pulling me down now hahhaa.

Anyway, I don't go in every 4-6 weeks cuz I'm so busy but...I when it's starts to get a little longer (before I go back in for a cut) I clip it in the back & pull some cute strands around my face!

Hope this helps:bigsmile:

What ever you choose will be great:heart:
  • luvchi3
    luvchi3 Posts: 167
    Options
    i'm in the same boat, shoulder length super thick wavy hair. i had grown mine longer for my brothers wedding so i had something to work with and now i'm looking to get it cut. thanks for the link to that website i can never seem to find anything good. in the past i did layers a lot to boost up the waviness, it works when its down but putting it up proved to be a pain cuz some pieces would fall out. and it never looked like i ever had a style to it, just kinda blah, i so wish sometimes that i had stick straight hair and could pull off those adorable little bobs without getting poofy and huge. i'll let you know if i find anyone cute ones.
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Flat-Out line from KMS? KMS also makes a conditioning styling cream that is great for color-treated hair that is heat styled often. Matrix makes a great smoothing balm-can't think of the name right now but it comes in an orange package. I use the light version on my hair (my hair is very fine) but I have used their regular version on clients with success. Joico has a K-Pak line that is great on color-treated hair-I love the smoothing balm from this line. Or if you hair hair is coarse and doesn't get greasy, some women with thick hair like Sebastian's Laminates line.

I have used all these lines on clients depending on the nature of their hair. If you describe your hair as frizzy and slightly coarse to coarse, then you may like the Flat-Out and/or Laminates. If your hair is not coarse, then you may like the Matrix smoothing balm better. However, if you hair is chemicaly treated(and the cause of the frizzies), then you may really like either the Joico the KMS conditioning balm.
  • stacesand
    stacesand Posts: 63 Member
    Options

What do you think?

My hair has a similar cut and from the sounds of things my hair is very much like yours. As long as the stylist uses a razor to thin out your hair, you should be in good shape. I currently use a product called "straighten out". I too, have curly hair. It helps with frizziness. You could also use "Frizzease" It seems to work quite well. I usually blow dry my hair in two sections- top and bottom (just to help dry it faster) and then use a straightening iron the same way i dry my hair. It takes me about 15 minutes start to finish. most of that time is blow drying my hair.