Nutrisystem

Options
Have you used them? What did you think?

Replies

• GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've tried them twice. IMO the food is gross and you still have to buy produce and dairy.
  • sashaverlene
    sashaverlene Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I haven't used it but at the bottom of the screen in small print it says that you lose about 1-2 pounds a week which you can do on here anyway! :)
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I did use them in Jan-Mar of 2010 and I did lose 30 pounds. Some of the food was decent, some of it was nasty (any of the tuna dishes were awful). I liked that I didn't have to think about it I could just grab and go so if that is what you are looking for, it is a good plan. However, if you have high blood pressure it is not a good plan. I am medicated for blood pressure and while I was on Nutrisystem my blood pressure was high even with my medication. My doctor told me that although he was glad I had lost 30 pounds, I could not do it with processed food like that which is VERY high in sodium. So bottom line is if you can eat high sodium and if you are looking for convenient, I don't want to think about it food, then it is a good plan. However, you can use the tools on MFP and obtain the same results probably cheaper and definitely with lower sodium.
  • Pamela3
    Pamela3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Here's my problem with Nutrisystem - Are you going to buy and eat their food for the rest of your life? What happens after you drop the weight you want to and then stop using Nutrisystem? Do you think you learned anything from opening a box and eating what was manufactured by someone else? Not to mention the complete and utter lack of natural nutrients and vitamins, plus all of the preservatives, hormones, and goodness knows what else.

I've never done Nutrisystem for all of the above reasons. I've done Weight Watchers with great success until I wasn't in the sceario where it was as convenient or with my regular group of support I was used to. Guess what happened when I lost that support group? Guess why I'm here? Not only am I here to lose the weight I gained back, but aso becuase this time, I don't want to be accountable to anyone ut myself and I want to do this MYSELF. In my head, I'm never going to get away from me, so this is the best way to go about it.

Good luck with your weightloss journey - do it for you - do it for life!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Gross food, hard to stick with, and stupid expensive. Plus you still have to buy fruit and veggies to supplement and some other random things like hamburger buns. I would strongly suggest buying some of the food on ebay to see if you like it before you spend all that money.
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Gross food, hard to stick with, and stupid expensive. Plus you still have to buy fruit and veggies to supplement and some other random things like hamburger buns. I would strongly suggest buying some of the food on ebay to see if you like it before you spend all that money.

I agree with everything she said.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Years ago the food was fairly decent....then they changed and started "enhancing" stuff. I started getting the runs from eatting the food. I stopped using it. I have heard that they improved the product and that particular side effect is no longer an issue. It is much easier to make your own... you know what is in it, and you can eat what you want...and it costs about half!
  • petchonka82
    petchonka82 Posts: 156
    Options
    Here's my problem with Nutrisystem - Are you going to buy and eat their food for the rest of your life? What happens after you drop the weight you want to and then stop using Nutrisystem? Do you think you learned anything from opening a box and eating what was manufactured by someone else? Not to mention the complete and utter lack of natural nutrients and vitamins, plus all of the preservatives, hormones, and goodness knows what else.

I've never done Nutrisystem for all of the above reasons. I've done Weight Watchers with great success until I wasn't in the sceario where it was as convenient or with my regular group of support I was used to. Guess what happened when I lost that support group? Guess why I'm here? Not only am I here to lose the weight I gained back, but aso becuase this time, I don't want to be accountable to anyone ut myself and I want to do this MYSELF. In my head, I'm never going to get away from me, so this is the best way to go about it.

Good luck with your weightloss journey - do it for you - do it for life!

Great thinking!
  • petchonka82
    petchonka82 Posts: 156
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You all confirmed everything I figured. Good luck to all of you on your journey!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I lasted 2 weeks. I'm sorry I have to eat real food. I hated half the prepackaged meals and it taught me nothing about eating healthy and portion control.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was in class with a girls who was on Nutrisystem along with her mom. She mentioned that she wasn't allowed to workout, because the meals were planned around her activity level, so she couldn't increase her activity and stay healthy. That's where I think the biggest drawback is, no flexibility to live your life.
  • rchallway
    rchallway Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I did it for a few months... really expensive (like prohibitively expensive), and most of the food was yucky. There were a few things I liked, and it did force portion control, but it was not reasonable for me to continue for any length of time.
  • ladybug1009
    ladybug1009 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I was in class with a girls who was on Nutrisystem along with her mom. She mentioned that she wasn't allowed to workout, because the meals were planned around her activity level, so she couldn't increase her activity and stay healthy. That's where I think the biggest drawback is, no flexibility to live your life.

This is not true! You can indeed exercise. Apparently that girl and her mom did not read up on the material that was provided to them.

I was on Nutrisystem from the beginning of 2007 to the end of 2008. I had lost 80+ pounds because I worked out and ate the food (it's not amazing cuisine). I was living in a dorm and the food was fine in comparison to the crap the campus served. It's all about sticking with the program and exercising, eating the add ins and drinking water.

When you get off the program you maintain with eating a healthy diet. With NS you are given portion controlled food. I felt it was easy when I did it because I didn't have to think too much about it.

Why am I off it now? It's pricey, and I can't fathom to eat the food anymore. Once I went off, I did do well on my own for a little bit but then I fell back into my own ways. Yes, I did gain, but I have learned a lot from the program. You have to just stick with a healthy eating routine regardless of what the program is.
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I only bought a month's supply and thankfully all that is left is the bars (which are really good and eating a bar w/ a diary and protein keeps me full up for 3-4 hours).... The lunches and dinners aside from the bars are not that great. It does teach you portion control but you have to be disciplined about it and willing to follow the program. I lost 5 pounds the first week I was on it but honestly, unless you do it for the rest of your life, its not going to stick (like everyone else has mentioned before). To me, the only thing you learn from Nutrisystem at the end is how to portion control better and eat the right amount of carbs, protein, diary, fat, etc in your meals to not have to snack a lot between meals.

But, in the end, MyFitnessPal is the best =) Best of luck to everyone with their weight loss journey!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It's nasty stuff, I really really didn't like it. It was too expensive too.

But this sums up my post-NS feeling:

Now this will be a little hypocritical, but I am not on Visalus meal replacement shakes and I love them. I get a 30 day supple for $117 shipped and I replace 2 meals with 2 shakes. Plus the powder is sweet creamed flavor so I can customize the shakes with frozen fruit and I still get most of my daily fiber, protein, etc. in 2 shakes. I plan on 2 shakes a day until I hit my goal weight (170 or less) and then drop to 1 shake a day.

Feel free to message me for more info.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Bumping b/c it's ½ price now $166 and even with a "fee" for not continuing into month #2 it's still $100 less than normal.

I only have 10 or so lbs to lose, I know it's high in sodium but my sodium is so low.

I'm more curious to see how they figure out the right breakdown of nutrients and I really like the idea out of convenience.

I'm just so darn frugal, lol! I spend $150 a month on groceries for 2 people so $250 ish (sale price) for just me is hard to get my head around + must buy some produce and dairy. Can a salad with nothing but dressing count? Wait… dressing isn’t provided, it just seemed easier than cooking other veggies.