Weight per repetition?

Options
Hi, new to this app, and actually pretty new to exercise and fitness all together. I noticed when i add my sit ups to my daily routine it shows the sets/reps and Weight per repetition.

What does that weight per repetition actually mean when you are doing sit ups?

Any help would be excellent :)

Replies

• CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    put 0 lol
  • hstallings13
    hstallings13 Posts: 306
    Options
    for sit-ups you would put zero. I know that back when I was weight lifting some of the guys would hold the weights from the barbells while they did the sit-ups, that would be the only way you would need to add weight to sit-ups.
  • diskotek
    diskotek Posts: 12
    Options
    Yeah i assumed so, thanks guys :)
  • heatherlynnb
    heatherlynnb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ive been looking for the same answer...i believe through some research I did..unless u add weight, it will remain 0. However, when you log push ups weight does matter. Im tryin to get back to my normal weight range 105-110. I currently way 123 (yuck for me n my little bones can take this excess weight...im all boobs n belly right now...i prefer when im all boobs :bigsmile: ). Anyway, when you do push ups it is 60% of your body weight. To figure this out you divide your weight by 100 and multiply 60. Ill use my weight for example... 123/100=1.23*60=73.8. So when i do one push up I am lifting 73.8 of that weight. Hope this helped. Good luck losing maintaining or gaining!!!!!
  • emilydry
    Options
    I've seen below comments and tried zero and the other comment and worked out it out but how come it doesn't say anything in the excersise box? Or knock off calories !
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Ive been looking for the same answer...i believe through some research I did..unless u add weight, it will remain 0. However, when you log push ups weight does matter. Im tryin to get back to my normal weight range 105-110. I currently way 123 (yuck for me n my little bones can take this excess weight...im all boobs n belly right now...i prefer when im all boobs :bigsmile: ). Anyway, when you do push ups it is 60% of your body weight. To figure this out you divide your weight by 100 and multiply 60. Ill use my weight for example... 123/100=1.23*60=73.8. So when i do one push up I am lifting 73.8 of that weight. Hope this helped. Good luck losing maintaining or gaining!!!!!

WAT?!?! All bodyweight exercises get logged as 0

complicated.jpeg
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I've seen below comments and tried zero and the other comment and worked out it out but how come it doesn't say anything in the excersise box? Or knock off calories !
    It's kind of weird - you have to log it AGAIN in the cardio section (even if you weren't doing cardio) to get the calories
  • heatherlynnb
    Options
    If I were you I would first log it into the strength so overtime you can keep track of your strength workouts (ie: how many sets, reps, & weight you did so you can challenge yourself in future----increase sets, reps, or weight) Your body adjusts to a given workout in about 3/4 weeks so it is important to change and challenge. The strength section records what you did not what calories you burned. Then go to the cardiovascular section and try to find the strength workout---there you will enter how long you did it for and that will deduct the calories from your intake. I hope that helped.
  • heatherlynnb
    Options
    I am sorry but no it doesn't. Like I mentioned previously, if you are doing a sit-up, than yes, it IS "0" **UNLESS you ADD weight to your sit-ups.
    Push-ups are different. because you ARE lifting weight
    your body-weight.
    Below I will put a link that will give you a general idea of percentage depending on whether you do a traditional push-up or the ones with your knees bent.
    The Question is How much of my body-weight (118 lbs) do I lift doing a push up. If I am lifting approx 60% of my weight (I use 60% as a rough # for my push-ups traditional or bent knee)I need to figure out how much weight 60% is. So i do the equation== 118/100=1.18. 1.18*60= 70.8lbs.

This is quoted directly from the Math section of the link below:

"According to the American College of Sports Medicine, a woman doing traditional push-ups lifts approximately 71 percent of her body weight; a man lifts approximately 77 percent. A woman performing modified push-ups from her knees lifts about 55 percent of her body weight; a man lifts approximately 56 percent. That means a 140-lb. woman doing traditional push-ups lifts about 99 lbs., and in modified push-ups, she lifts 77 lbs. A man who weighs 170 lbs. doing traditional push-ups lifts about 131 lbs.; with modified push-ups, he lifts about 95 lbs."

So if a woman is a 140lbs doing a traditional push-up lifts about 99lbs & in modified she lifts 77lbs.
    They figured it out the same way
    Traditional: 140/100=1.4 1.4*71= 99.4
    Bent Knee: 140/100=1.4 1.4*55= 77

http://www.livestrong.com/article/367350-how-much-weight-is-in-a-push-up/

I hope I explained myself more accurately or that the reference helped you understand
  • heatherlynnb
    Options
  • elsapang1991
    elsapang1991 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    when it says weights per repetition, say for arm exercises, does it mean both arm or just one arm?
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I only log weight for pushups if I have a kid or a plate on my back. I do not count my body weight.

I liked the information above, but I suppose it all depends on what your individual goals are and what kind of statistics you'd like to see.

Also - most strength exercises I do not also add as cardio. Again, I'm sure it's personal preference, but I have no idea how many calories doing 55 sit-ups burns so instead of guessing, I'll just earn some calories elsewhere.