Anyone understand GFR or protein/creatinine spillage rates?

Options
I have been trying to understand my test results by googling things...and if I'm understanding google correctly...I think my GFR is a bit low? It's 74 cc/minute/1.7 meter squared. (would be nice if the doctor actually explained what the hell that meant. :grumble: )

And my urine protein/creatinine ratio estimated a spillage of 267 mg/24 hours.

Are either of these bad? I'm so worried that something is wrong with my kidneys. (both diabetes and renal failure run in my family.)

Replies

• pinkpixies
    Options
    I have been trying to understand my test results by googling things...and if I'm understanding google correctly...I think my GFR is a bit low? It's 74 cc/minute/1.7 meter squared. (would be nice if the doctor actually explained what the hell that meant. :grumble: )

Are either of these bad? I'm so worried that something is wrong with my kidneys. (both diabetes and renal failure run in my family.)
  • lsalazarii
    lsalazarii Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I wish I could answer your questions... but I can't.

I think if your doctor will not explain your test results and what they mean, and /or answer your questions, you should find another doctor. No point in having tests done if you don't understand the results.... and that is what you are paying him for :grumble:
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options

Wish I could help you out on your numbers, but it's really for your doc to do... My 2 oldest kids inherited a kidney disorder. It is really important that you have regular annual checkups regardless of whether or not you show symptoms. Great for baseline info. My kids have routine bloodwork, UI's and ultrasounds for their issues even though they won't have any need for treatment until after 40.

Many good docs have a great nurse who can answer your questions on the phone - if you have a good relationship with them. :flowerforyou:
  • pinkpixies
    Options

Wish I could help you out on your numbers, but it's really for your doc to do... My 2 oldest kids inherited a kidney disorder. It is really important that you have regular annual checkups regardless of whether or not you show symptoms. Great for baseline info. My kids have routine bloodwork, UI's and ultrasounds for their issues even though they won't have any need for treatment until after 40.

Many good docs have a great nurse who can answer your questions on the phone - if you have a good relationship with them. :flowerforyou:

Yeah...I go back in June of next year for a follow up.

I have called the clinic 4 times since my appointment in June and he never called me back. He finally sent me a letter in the mail late last week saying my test results. (only took him two and a half months! :angry: ) and it was all in doctor speak...which I slightly understand...some of it at least...after lots of googling. :laugh: