Old Country Buffet

Options
Yes, friends, it IS possible to eat enough for two people. I had lunch today with my friend at an old favorite: Old Country Buffet. I started out alright with a nice high fiber salad but then it all went downhill. When I got home, I tallied up 2700 calories. Without touching the salt shaker I had a whopping 3600 milligrams of sodium! No wonder my body is holding fluids ( I am getting pitting edema in my ankles and yes I have checked for congestive heart failure). And I could have eaten more; especially dessert! Like others who have reported here, who have gone back to some fast food meal they haven't had in a while, I feel sick. Exhausted from my lunch, I came home to an hour and a half nap. I used to splurge like this all the time.

When I was there today I noticed a lot of fat and pudgy people; probably a lot of others, like me, who love to eat and comfort themselves with their delicious "comfort" food. I am getting quite an education once I started noticing the calories and sodium. Whoops! :embarassed:
89050.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• ranhound
    ranhound Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yes, friends, it IS possible to eat enough for two people. I had lunch today with my friend at an old favorite: Old Country Buffet. I started out alright with a nice high fiber salad but then it all went downhill. When I got home, I tallied up 2700 calories. Without touching the salt shaker I had a whopping 3600 milligrams of sodium! No wonder my body is holding fluids ( I am getting pitting edema in my ankles and yes I have checked for congestive heart failure). And I could have eaten more; especially dessert! Like others who have reported here, who have gone back to some fast food meal they haven't had in a while, I feel sick. Exhausted from my lunch, I came home to an hour and a half nap. I used to splurge like this all the time.

When I was there today I noticed a lot of fat and pudgy people; probably a lot of others, like me, who love to eat and comfort themselves with their delicious "comfort" food. I am getting quite an education once I started noticing the calories and sodium. Whoops! :embarassed:
    89050.png
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    :smile: I agree. It is hard to eat healthy at a buffet because you really want to get your money's worth. When we do go to a buffet, I usually know in my head that the next day I'm going to have to work out harder to make up for it. But you know sometimes it feels good to just go in and order what you want... not what you know you should get.
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    i love buffets golden corral here in texas
  • melissa73
    Options
    Oh... I love Golden Coral.. But we don't have one here in California where I am ... :sad: :sad: :sad: Look now you made me hungry for Golden Coral.... See now I am already gaining weight just thinking about the delicious honey butter with the fresh rolls that they serve... Oh well I guess it is a good thing that I don't have one near me... :laugh: :laugh:
    Thanks for giving me the memories though.
    Melissa
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I do everything I can to avoid buffets. I just lose control and barely live to regret it. Even things labeled as "salad bars" are often too tempting to me, (since when did tortillas and taco meat become salad?). We just came back from a Cruise and I didn't eat at the buffet once.
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    I do everything I can to avoid buffets. I just lose control and barely live to regret it. Even things labeled as "salad bars" are often too tempting to me, (since when did tortillas and taco meat become salad?). We just came back from a Cruise and I didn't eat at the buffet once.
    Ditto on the buffets! I'm sorry, but eeeeww! :sick: And frankly, have had friends working at those places - they would never eat the food there after what they saw in the back.

Besides, who would pay $11 for that when you can get great food at a restaurant for just a little bit more and have it how you'd like it... :drinker:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

89050.png

Consider it a hard lesson learned. :wink:

You'll do better for the rest of the week! :flowerforyou:
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options

mmmmmmm..... bread...
  • alimassa
    Options

mmmmmmm..... bread...

OHHHHH the whole topic is just EVIL! :laugh: :laugh:
  • eriny
    Options
    i go on cruise next month foooood !!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    i go on cruise next month foooood !!

The food is much better in the dining room. I'm afraid I did most of my damage in the bar however.
  • eriny
    Options
    no limit on breakfast i cant wait
    18 egg omelet yessssssss
    for 7 days :devil:
  • ranhound
    Options
    no limit on breakfast i cant wait
    18 egg omelet yessssssss
    for 7 days :devil:

LOL. Just make sure they are just egg whites, right? (ha ha)
  • eriny
    Options
    only way i eat them
    and i only go after baked items and veggies on buffets eat bout 4-6 plates
    :devil: i love it when people see me eat that way and cant understand how
    but they only see plates of food not what i eat
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow! Old Country Buffet is my 95 yr old Aunt's favorite place to go! :laugh: I used to eat plates of food there also, and of course a large plate of dessert!

I try to avoid buffets now, and if i do go only get the salad bar, lean meat, and fruit as my dessert. I feel much better and don't feel the need to *eat my money's worth*.

Hope you feel better by tonight!

Jess
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I love Old Country Buffet!! :heart: I try to only go there on special occasions.
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    We had a rough afternoon yesterday so we stopped at our favorite Mexican place for supper. I had the pollo fundido with rice and beans. Add some chips, salsa, queso and beer and I was stuffed. Uncomfortable all night and unable to get anything done after we got home.

Today is a new day.
  • eriny
    Options
    yes it is :drinker:
  • ranhound
    Options
    I guess I need to be forgiving once in a while of overindulgence. The important thing is that overall I'm changing the way I eat and think about food.
    :tongue:
    89050.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Buffets have never scared me. OCB, ya'll. I was there on Sunday, and since it isn't a regular thing, I didn't have any rabbit food. On purpose. Cuz mashed potatoes and rotisserie chicken breasts are yummy. :happy: