Hello September is my New Year!

Hi!.. I'm Patti and September is my New Year. As a teacher and a mom, I think of this month as my beginning. So again, I am venturing on a new program. This time, I think it makes sense. I started tracking my calories yesterday and already I am addicted. I can't believe how easy it is. This time, I decided that I will be like the tortise...slow and steady wins the race. I've decided to eat to be healthy, not just to fit into my skinny jeans. I think this will make it easier for me to stick to. Anyway...I look forward to meeting you and sharing our successes together. Happy New Year!!!

Can anyone help me with this? When you add your strength training exercises, does it calculate calories burned or does it do that just with the cardio?

Replies

• Hi!.. I'm Patti and September is my New Year. As a teacher and a mom, I think of this month as my beginning. So again, I am venturing on a new program. This time, I think it makes sense. I started tracking my calories yesterday and already I am addicted. I can't believe how easy it is. This time, I decided that I will be like the tortise...slow and steady wins the race. I've decided to eat to be healthy, not just to fit into my skinny jeans. I think this will make it easier for me to stick to. Anyway...I look forward to meeting you and sharing our successes together. Happy New Year!!!

Can anyone help me with this? When you add your strength training exercises, does it calculate calories burned or does it do that just with the cardio?
  • Welcome... :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Glad that you could join our big happy family... I'm glad that you are not afraid to ask questions... We are all here to help ourselves and each other... Way to start your new life and new year.

To answer your question. You can log your strength in your strength in the strength portion of the exercise to keep track but if you want to log the calories burned. All you have to do is log strength training in the cardio section for the page too. Just type Strength in the cardio.... Good luck.
    Melissa
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Welcome Patti. This site has everything you need to improve your nutrition and exercise. Welcome.

Make sure to log all the "bad" stuff you eat. It took me a while to learn this, but just like many things in life you learn more from your mistakes. When you eat some oatmeal and skim milk for breakfast and log it, you might be reinforcing a good behavior, but you really don't learn much.

When you eat 4 cookies absentmindedly, and log it, sometimes you learn that it just wasn't worth it as it messed up the hard work you'd done so far, and sometimes you realize that it wasn' too bad. If you do a little exercise you're right back in the game. Either way it's over. Often when you don't log it, you'll just say, "whoops I blew it, I'll start again tomorrow, oh wait there is that lunch meeting on Friday, I guess I'll start Saturday..."

I'm sorry, I intended to just give you some welcoming advise, but I really got preachy.

You're going to do great!
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Hi! Welcome! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • welcome :flowerforyou:
  • Thanks! I'll give it a try.
  • I appreciate the advice. You're right. Too many times we don't pick ourselves up...we just give up. So I will be logging it all.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Hi and welcome!

I think you will love it here as well....I do. This is seriously the first "diet" I have ever stuck to. I started in April and 17 pounds later I am hooked and for the first time I really believe I can meet my goal and even keep going.

I have found ways to enjoy exercise (well most days) and having the extra calories to eat doesn't hurt either. I find that most weekends I DO need to not log my food but I still try to eat better and a few months of logging your food you'll find it a lot easier to eyeball how much a serving is. On the days I do eat stuff I shouldn't I try to work out a lot, and I find after a day or two of not logging I am almost going crazy and cannot wait to log my food again and eat better.

Everyone here is great, very supportive and full of knowledge, so welcome and good luck on your new beginning.