Oatmeal

Options
2»

Replies

• Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    On weekday mornings I do plain rolled oats (the cook in 5 minutes kind), but on weekends I'll do steel cut oats (they take 20 to 30 minutes to cook). To either I add one of the following:

1/2 cup berries (whole blueberries or sliced strawberries usually) and a dash of cinnamon
    1 tsp brown sugar and a dash of spice (some combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger)
    1 Tbsp dried cranberries, 1 Tbsp chopped nuts, and sometimes 1 Tbsp dried coconut

And if I'm feeling decadent or have the calories to spare, I'll add 1 Tbsp half and half to make it creamier.

As far as the types of oats, they all come from the same type of raw oat groats, they are just processed in different ways and to different degrees. Steel cut oats are one of the least processed; they are just cut by steel blades. Regular rolled oats (sometimes called "old fashioned oats") are pressed between rollers to flatten them. Quick oats and instant oats are rolled and then processed further to break down the outer coating further to make them quicker to cook. During that process some of the fiber from the outer coating is usually removed. So generally the only difference nutritionally is that the more processed oats may have less fiber.
  • boogie96
    boogie96 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’ve just recently got into oatmeal (real oatmeal, I use to enjoy the instant sugary crap as a kid), so I’m loving all the suggestions on different ways to prepare it. So far I’ve only had it with either Crasins or raisins, a little honey and brown sugar.

However, one thing I do that I did not see suggested yet, I cook mine in coconut water, which I find gives it just a little extra sweetness, allowing me to cut back on the amount of honey/brown sugar. Good stuff!
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    They are different... but you can by them at most supermarkets. I bought my steel cut oats at Aldi's.

I love Peanut Butter in mine.

I've also added canned pumpkin, sweetened with a little brown sugar, and added pumpkin pie spice...MMMMMMM!
  • indigoeyes
    indigoeyes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Sliced almonds and 1 tsp of real maple syrup stirred in.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I made oatmeal the old fashioned way this morning. I guess this will take a little practice and more precise measuring. I like my oatmeal a little sloppy so I'll reduce the oats & increase the water the next time. I added 1 tsp of brown sugar and a tbsp of raisins. It was yummy and I feel very full.
  • Sc4ever
    Sc4ever Posts: 33
    Options
    1TBS of Peanut butter yum yum!