30 vs. 60 Minute Workout?

Options
30 Minutes seems a little more manageble but it seems inevitable that 60 minute workouts are more effective.

I sometimes don't have the patience to do a full hour. I am I better off with more frequent, but shorter workouts or 60 minute intense-burners?

Replies

• iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    Giving it your all for 30 minutes id bound to be better than partly-slacking for an hour< I would have thought? x
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    The most I can crank out without half A## it is 45 min...and that is pushing it!
  • katsmommy08
    Options
    I find that a 45 min workout is better for me, especially when doing aerobics (Turbo Jam or Zumba). It's easier to push that last 15 mins beyond the 30 than it would to push another 30 mins. But when you don't have the time, 30 is better than nothing :-)
  • phreddie
    phreddie Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been focusing on intense 30 minute workouts. I can achieve a 400 calorie plus burn in 30 minutes, which is helping me balance my schedule and achieve my weight loss goals...
  • bethmiller3377
    bethmiller3377 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Honestly? SLOW workouts burn more FAT. "Faster" workouts are better for cardio/your heart....if you want to burn more fat, try a moderate workout for longer time...to build endurance and to work your heart, try a tough workout in a shorter time, like 30-40 min. Also, make sure you're doing weight lifting!!! :-) The more muscle you have, the more fat you burn, even while you sleep!!!
  • CallieDavis85
    Options
    I was doing cardio for 45 mins, on a lower resistance. My trainer now has me doing cardio on an interval setting at a high resistance for 25 mins. Basically I am bustin my *kitten* for 25 mins, instead of 45 mins of easy cardio. (and let me tell you i would love to go back to my 45 min routine, but i obviously am paying my trainer for a reason, so im doing what she says) :)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I try to get 30 minutes of cardio throughout the day, if it is 3 x10 or 30 minutes it doesnt matter as long as i gets it done. For me though, it is all about the the strength training. I need to get that in 5 days a week.
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the thoughts---I'm glad it seems like a better choice to work hard for 30 minutes and call it a day instead of just lollygagging around for an extra 30 minutes. Maybe then, if I want a little extra burn, I'll push for an extra 15.
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I broke that rule today anyhow--

I did 10 minutes of stationery bike as a warm up, than a 20 minute upper body workout that I found online somewhere, and than Week 1 Day 2 of Couch to 5k. I was definitely tired in the last 10 minutes, but I pushed to the end and I feel REALLY good tonight after my light dinner of homemade "PF Changs" Chicken lettuce wrap and side of whole wheat spaghetti! If I hadn't added that extra 30 minutes I wouldnt have spare calories for dessert!

New rule: A worthwhile 30 minutes...or 45-60 minutes if you know there will be dessert!
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Honestly? SLOW workouts burn more FAT. "Faster" workouts are better for cardio/your heart....if you want to burn more fat, try a moderate workout for longer time...to build endurance and to work your heart, try a tough workout in a shorter time, like 30-40 min. Also, make sure you're doing weight lifting!!! :-) The more muscle you have, the more fat you burn, even while you sleep!!!

Actually, working out at higher intensities burns more fat. You see, when you work out at lower intensities, you burn fewer calories but the percentage of those calories burned comes primarily from fat. When you work out at higher intensities, your burn more calories overall, and a large percentage of those calories comes from glucose/glycogen. However, you are still burning fat and in the end, given the intensity is the same, you will burn more fat during the 60 minute workout.

However, if you only have 30 minutes to work out, it is better than nothing, so go for it! :)