Need to get remotivated

Okay so I joined this site somewhere in the vicinity of a year ago, but have never posted. I was a stay at home mom and was really good at keeping track of everything. From August 07 to December 07 I lost 20 lbs. I managed to keep that off through April of 08- then I went back to work. Aughhh!! Now I've managed to put back on 5 lbs. I have been trying to exercise 30 min in the morning and 30 min when I get home from work. Somedays it is really hard as I have four kids and somedays it just doesn't seem to work out. In addition I have been having a really hard time keeping myself on track with my eating at work. I guess when I was at home I felt like I had more control. I need to lose 30-35 pounds and need to get remotivated and feel like it is possible!!! Thanks!!

Replies

• cometnurse
    cometnurse Posts: 62 Member
    Okay so I joined this site somewhere in the vicinity of a year ago, but have never posted. I was a stay at home mom and was really good at keeping track of everything. From August 07 to December 07 I lost 20 lbs. I managed to keep that off through April of 08- then I went back to work. Aughhh!! Now I've managed to put back on 5 lbs. I have been trying to exercise 30 min in the morning and 30 min when I get home from work. Somedays it is really hard as I have four kids and somedays it just doesn't seem to work out. In addition I have been having a really hard time keeping myself on track with my eating at work. I guess when I was at home I felt like I had more control. I need to lose 30-35 pounds and need to get remotivated and feel like it is possible!!! Thanks!!
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Welcome back! I have 4 kids too. Amazing how busy we get, isn't it! You can do it! Believe in you - we do! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • What ages are your kids? I think they can be a workout in themselves! :) Don't underestimate the amount of calories burned playing in the backyard!
    If they are old enough, it would be fun to "work out" with them. I was at a Zumba class the other day, and I thought how fun it would be to get a dance workout video and do it with my kids (someday). It'll wear them out, give you guys some time together, and give you a great workout. (plus, some great silliness).
    Also, when I "entered the workforce," I found it really hard to get an eating schedule right. I'd get busy and skip lunch, and then I'd over-eat later on. Now, I try to have quick snacks ready and eat every 2-3 hours. I like nuts or bananas-- something that will give me some energy and curb my hunger, but at the same time, is really easy to set down if I need to get up and do something away from my desk. Also a plus, they aren't that messy. :) You could think about bringing protein shakes, too.
    If you start to structure your eating this way, it might help get the "control" back. Also, if you have time at night, plan your meals for the next day. This is really handy because then you know what to expect and it gives you that feeling of control. Snacks are easy to save (snack1, nutsnack2, etc.) on fitnesspal's food diary. You can make up the snacks early (sandwich bags with already portioned nuts, etc.) and just quick click it, grab it, and stick it in your bag for the next day.
    Good luck. I really think you can do it. Please let us know how it goes. :)
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    I definately understand the loss of control when getting back into working. Once I got a sedatary job and wasn't moving around constantly all day.. i gained 10lbs. Definately try to get those 100 cal snacks... cut up fresh fruit the day before... I usually have a smart breakfast in the morning:

(something easy to eat at my desk or on the go) cereal, fruit in fat free vanilla yogurt with granola, or a slim-fast shake with a banana.

Then because I eat lunch early... I don't snack in the morning. I have usually a sandwich with some fresh fruit or baby carrots for lunch.

Then I have a snack mid-afternoon like a soyjoy bar, dried fruit, trail mix snack packs, 100 cal snack packs, etc.

I have my reasonable portioned dinner (whatever my husband feels like, I just cut down portions for me)

Then while watching tv that night I'll have popcorn or a smoothie.

Good luck!
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    WOW, I can so relate. I just went back to work the first of July after being home for more than two years. Now instead of chasing my kids around, I sit at a computer for eight hours a day.
    I decided before going back that I wasn't going to derail. I plan what I eat and I LOVE those 100 cal packs. I enter my food for the day before I go to work and I take it all with me. I even allow myself the "office treat" aka birthday cake, once a month. But, for me, it's the planning that has kept the pounds comming off.
    As for the working out, it's the ONE thing that I do for me and I make sure that I get the chance to do what I need to do. This isn't always easy, but 4 kids or not, there comes a time when we, as moms, have to realize that we have to have some priority for ourselves, which in turn makes us better at everything else. NOT an easy thing to do.
    But, You CAN DO IT!! Just find your method and work it.

YOU GO!!!
  • cometnurse
    cometnurse Posts: 62 Member
    Thanks for the great tips! I think your right. It's just going to take a little more planning to get in the swing of things with my job. My kids are 8,6,5 and 3!!!
  • I think a lot of people forget just how hard they work and just how many calories they burn at work. I wish I would have worn a HRM or even a pedometer when I was at my last job. I think the majority of the time my body was in starvation mode. I would come home from work so exhausted that I would sometimes sleep from the time I got home until I had to get back up for work the next morning.

I also think that some people, like me, mess up their systems when they work either a night shift or an early shift. I used to get up at 3am Mon-Fri and I wouldn't be able to eat until at least 8am, needless to say my days were really rough because I wasn't eating enough throughout my workday, and usually when I did eat, it was from the vending machine or the gas station. I can remember feeling dizzy some days when I would work through lunch.

I am so glad that I quit that job because it was really messing with my mind and body. But I do miss the pay.

Just don't under estimate how many calories you need in a day without exercise.