counting miles

Options
Because of a fitness challenge my school does, I know that I "walk" about 12 miles a day. We measure these in steps and convert to miles.

Does anyone know how I can convert this information for the exercise log on this website?

Replies

• LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Because of a fitness challenge my school does, I know that I "walk" about 12 miles a day. We measure these in steps and convert to miles.

Does anyone know how I can convert this information for the exercise log on this website?
  • douganl
    douganl Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of walking!!!!!
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    It's an average figure, but yeah. I'm a teacher, so it adds up fast.
  • eer205
    Options
    I'd look into the information from 10,000 steps a day programs. Here is an excerpt from a site about the program. It gives you a rough idea of how to calculate calories. You can then log your calories in the fitness tracker and add your own personal heading (daily walking . . . )

For slow walking (<3.5 mph) the body burns calories at a net rate of 0.77 calories per kg of body mass per mile. That corresponds to 35 calories per mile of slow walking for every 100 pounds of body weight. A 150 pound person will burn 53 calories per mile and a 200 pound person will burn 70 calories per mile.
    http://walkingrunning.suite101.com/article.cfm/10000_steps_to_healthy_weight_loss

Also, there are pedometers that will track your steps for multiple days. There are even some that will load into your computer to give you daily-step logs. If you want this to be your main activity, I would think about investing in one. Prices on amazon aren't bad. :)

Good luck and congratulations on all the foot-travel! That is awesome. :smile:
  • destiny_206
    destiny_206 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Enter it as walking 12 miles at a 3 mph pace is 4 hours, Keep in mind though that alot of those calories are probubly taken into account in your goals already and not extra exersize.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I believe (not 100%) but this falls under your lifestyle choice; sedentary, light activity, etc. So, you would adjust there as it is what you do daily for your job not as additional exercise. Initially you might lose a bit as school just started but your body will become more efficient with your calories, etc.Make sense?
  • rosiesantos7
    rosiesantos7 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have a pedometer and I don't walk walk everyday but I once a week, I will go and walk five or six hours in New York. I have estimated that every step is 0.03 calories. This is regular walking that I calculated through another pedometer that calculated calories. Now, I know that it depends on the weight of the person and the stride but this is just an estimation. Hope this helps...
  • eer205
    Options
    I believe (not 100%) but this falls under your lifestyle choice; sedentary, light activity, etc. So, you would adjust there as it is what you do daily for your job not as additional exercise. Initially you might lose a bit as school just started but your body will become more efficient with your calories, etc.Make sense?

I agree! Thanks for saying this. I was nervous to say it, though. hahah. I think this is especially true because cardiovascular exercise in the log takes into account exercise that is in your target heart range. This is how you get the calories "back" into your food allotment for the day. I would be careful of logging everyday movement into this log in case you want to use it specifically for exercise above and beyond. This is why I think the 10,000 steps program might be how you want to go about it. On this site, it will impact your "sedentary," "light activity," etc., but you can log your progress in 10,000 steps separately.
    Does that make sense?
  • melissa73
    Options
    This web site has been mentioned before and I want to let you know about it. It may be helpful.
    http://www.mapmyrun.com You can map out your route and it will give you a distance... Cool

Have fun. Melissa