Camping

Options
I am going camping this long weekend. We leave Wednesday night, so we'll get to Alabama by Thursday morning and will be there until Monday morning. Food is going to be a lot of meat :grumble: don't get me wrong, I love meat, but not so great for the diet. Fresh veggies don't keep so well when we are camping. So, I'll try to limit how much I eat, also, campfires. We usually partake in a few drinks, so I'm going to try to limit that too.

What I really want to do is try to run each morning. It's an off-roading park, so I'll have to scout out somewhere safe, so I won't get hit by some vehicle as I'm jamming to my tunes. Wish me luck!

Replies

• Mandam1018
    Mandam1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Good luck! We are camping this weekend as well. My plans are the same as yours to get some runs in (without getting hit by ATVs or cars) and to watch what I eat and drink.
  • bobbie228
    bobbie228 Posts: 53
    Options
    Run the trails for the cross country effect! you will get a great burn and I would still try and do fresh veggis as much as possile. Fruits also, and do bud light select for 55 calories! it is one of my favorites! Or the SKinny girl margarita! Oh and lastly maybe set your settings for the days at maitenance level and try to stay within that range that way mayeb you'll have no gain and still get to induldge a bit!
  • Joyjmb
    Joyjmb Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    We camp 3x a year and actually veggies hold VERY well if you DON"T cut them before you go and don't put them in your coolers.
    Take a whole cucumber, whole carrot, whole bell pepper - then chop it before you eat it. Also, processed or salty foods like granola bars, chips and hot dogs usually make me feel like crap and dehydrate me. So I stick with chicken breasts for the grill and make my own trail mix instead of chips. My friends think I'm crazy to try to eat healthy while camping.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready for 9 days of kayak camping in North Carolina along the French Broad, and I'm planning to take trail mix and dried fruit (quick energy and calorie dense) and those foil packages of tuna for snacks. I'm kind of worried about what to eat that week too, but at least I won't have to worry about burning it off - we're kayaking about 12-15 miles a day. I think taking the tunes and getting in a morning jog is a great idea! Have a wonderful time! :glasses:
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Consider kabobs; include veggies with the meat, on a skewer. Most veggies for kabobs can keep for several days without refrigeration. (e.g. onions, tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, bell peppers, etc.)

Also, if I recall, many, many, many years ago, when I was in the scouts; we made zip packs. Essentially, its an aluminum pack of some meat, with veggies. The pack is folded up and placed on coals. It cooks nicely and if seasoned well, its very delicious. Also, a great way to cook potatoes (source of carbs).

The thought of too much red meat, especially if your body is not used to it, and being caught in the woods doesn't sound comfortable. *snort*
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! Yes, I love kabobs and that would be a great idea to do. I think it would even be easier than the hot dogs, because with hot dogs you needs buns, condiments, side dish... but a kabob has everything self contained. Also, I've seen a lot of recipes for the foil packets and I know reynolds wrap has an entire page about those.

Luckily, there are bathrooms and showers, wouldn't go otherwise, I'm not THAT outdoorsy! LoL!
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My husband and I (and 20 of our closest friends) are also going camping this weekend. They guys will fish all weekend but the girls have several hikes planned. Plus we are a bunch of pyros and never take enough fire wood so we have to go scanning the woods and cut up and drag out fallen trees and large limbs to keep the bonfire going--and that feels like it burns tons of calories! We always take veggies, already cut up, so we can munch on them instead of chips and other things. They keep just fine in the cooler if I put them in freezer bags, then in some type of plastic bowl and don't sit the bowl down in the ice in the cooler. I usually put the veggies in last, on the top and sometimes even put a folded hand towel between the ice and the bowl. We usually stay away from hot dogs and stuff like that and take pork tenderloin, chicken breast, etc. and either grill it over the fire or cook it in our cast iron Dutch Ovens in the fire. I'm attempting to make a pot of pinto beans in my Dutch Oven this time--I sure hope they turn out. Out of everyone in my group, I'm the one who doesn't drink so I can't help you out there--just remember, everything in moderation and you should be fine. Have a wonderful trip!