Warrior Dash - Training?

Options
getfitdiva
getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
Are you participating in a Warrior Dash (http://www.warriordash.com)? I'm sure this was a topic here at one point. Do you have some training tips to share if you have completed one or about to train for one. I am participating in the VA Warrior Dash in October with my hubby right after our 10 yr Anniversary :heart: ! THANKS!

Replies

• End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Warrior dash and similar events are big in the CrossFit community; Their workouts of the day (WOD) will get you into the shape you need to be in.
  • monoxidechick
    monoxidechick Posts: 339
    Options
    I have no advice but just wanna say that this looks like sooooo much fun and I am interested in any information you get. I think that this is going to have to be one of my fun goals for the future. Good luck!!!!
  • Emmy_Ann
    Emmy_Ann Posts: 60
    Options
    I'm doing the dash in Oregon on 09/10 this year.. I've just been training for a 5k and lifting weights.. I'm really expecting that I won't need to do much more than that from what I've heard from others who've done the race already..
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    I am doing one in July...I am mostly focused on fat loss right now, not warrior dash but I figured generally working out will help :) I do strength training, yoga, high intensity cardio...As the race approaches I plan to throw in some 3 mile runs but I'm not going to make it the focus of my training.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Poconos Warrior Dash on June 11th. :happy:

For training, I did the Couch to 5k running program, and have no issues running the distance now. From all I've heard, the obstacles are more fun than hard, so I'm not concerned about them. I'm doing it with a group, and we made a pact to stick together because it'll be more fun if we go through it with each other than if we were racing.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I am doing the warrior dash in Ohio on June 5th... I am just working on running right now. I have improved my overall fitness level so I know that I will cross that finish line (My goal for the event :wink: )
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I'll be Warrior Dashing in August in New York. I have done one round of Insanity (HIIT / CrossFit type workout) and am doing a second round now, plus my Muay Thai / Krabi Krabong. At some point, I suppose I should start straight-up running some moderate distances, which should be infinitely easier for me than it used to be, now that I've done Insanity.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I'll see you in Oct!! I'm am mostly running to make sure I can do the 3.56 miles easily. The obstacles probably aren't that difficult, it's the endurance you will need most!! See you there
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Oh this is great! I can't wait until October - I assume since it's a fun but challenging obstacle course I will be okay with my interval runs (5-6 wk) and weights (3x wk). I'm excited to see others participating YAY!
  • britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    Options
    I'm doing the dash in Oregon on 09/10 this year.. I've just been training for a 5k and lifting weights.. I'm really expecting that I won't need to do much more than that from what I've heard from others who've done the race already..

I'm doing the same one!
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm doing one hopefully next year. I really want to complete a full marathon 1st.

I've seen some crazy videos on youtube of people training for Warrior Dashes and Tough Mudders! Check 'em out!
  • Emmy_Ann
    Emmy_Ann Posts: 60
    Options

I'm doing the same one!

Are you doing Sat or Sunday?? I'm in the 10am wave on Saturday :D
  • joevennare
    Options
    I would be happy to help! Here are some workouts as well as an article, Do Work!
    Warm-up:

Jog@ 2-5 minutes

Lunge @25 yards

Reverse Lunge @ 25 yards Walking

Broad Jump @ 25 yards

Training:

2 Round

50x Step-up (each leg, add weight vest or resistance if possible)

20x Push-up

30x Bodyweight Squat

20x Push-up

30x Bodyweight Squat

3 Rounds @ 50 yards each movement

Bear Crawl

75% Sprint

Plank Crawl

Walking Lunge

Bounding Jump Squats

If you are not using kettlebells as part of your Obstacle Race training program you are missing out. Strength training for an obstacle course race should not be confined to power lifting or circuit training alone. Training with equipment like kettlebells that require and promote functional, explosive force and power will assist you in maneuvering your body up, over, or around any obstacle.

Tough Mudder Training with Kettlebells

Kettlebell Exercises for a Tough Mudder Training:

Two-hand Kettlebell Swing: Standing in exercise position*, using the basic grip** to hold the kettlebell with both hands, sink into a squat with the weight between the legs. Keep the torso upright, the abs braced and the arms loose. At the bottom of the movement shift your weight back onto your heels. Standing up from the squatted position, use your hips to propel the weight to hip level. Then, engaging the hips and core, swing the weight up higher until you reach shoulder level. Focus on using your hips and legs to move the weight, rather than your arms.

Thruster: Beginning in exercise position*, grasp kettlebell with the hook grip**. Hold the kettlebell with elbows bent at chest height. Maintaining proper exercise position with the weight at the chest, perform a squat. While standing up from the bottom of the squat simultaneously thrust, or press, the kettlebell up to overhead position. As you return to the bottom of the squat, lower the kettlebell back to chest level and repeat.

Deadlift-High Pull: Beginning in exercise position*, grasp kettlebell with the regular two hand grip**. Squat down to the bottom of the squat position, keeping the arms straight, the torso upright and the abs braced. Driving through the heels, thrust the hips as you rise to a standing position. As you near the top of the squat position, engage the arms to bring the elbows up and above the shoulders as you would during a high pull.

Keep the weight close to the body and use the power of your hips to pull the weight up, rather than your arms. Return back to the bottom of the squat and repeat.

Weighted sit-up: Lie on the floor with knees bent in a sit-up position. Take the kettlebell in your hands and grasp it with a two hand hook grip**. Laying onto your back, lock your arms out over your chest. Maintaining a positive arch in the back, with the chest up and chin high, sit-up off of the ground pressing the kettlebell upwards toward the ceiling.

Once you reach the top of the sit-up position with arms overhead, pause before descending to the starting position.
    Tough Mudder Workout:

Warm-up

10-1 (10 of each, 9, 8…1)

Kettlebell Weighted Sit-up

Bodyweight Squat

Training

400m Run

25x Kettlebell Swing

400m Run

25x Kettlebell Thruster

400m Run

25x Kettlebell Deadlift-High Pull