Question for the Ladies

Hello ladies,

I hesitated to ask this question but thought what the heck! Here it is... on average how much weight gain do you experience before/during your period? I have been frustrated because on average it seems like I go up about three pounds during this time and wondered if that was normal. It goes down afterwards but can really throw you off track when you are trying hard and see the numbers shoot up like that. Anyone have this experience?

Replies

• bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Hello ladies,

I hesitated to ask this question but thought what the heck! Here it is... on average how much weight gain do you experience before/during your period? I have been frustrated because on average it seems like I go up about three pounds during this time and wondered if that was normal. It goes down afterwards but can really throw you off track when you are trying hard and see the numbers shoot up like that. Anyone have this experience?
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Most of the time 3-5 lbs but in the summer it can go as high as 10 and that hurts! Once things get going the weight comes off almost immediately.

I try to keep track of the ups and downs for that period of time so I am prepared, I actually will try to stay clear of the scale until eveything is in working order again.

Don't let it get you off track, that's when it gets ugly!
  • bla115
    Thanks mnbarnum!

Glad this isn't just me. That's a good idea to stay away from the scale during this time too. This time it did throw me off track a bit and I don't want that to happen again!!!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Generally I don't see a change in my weight up or down. However there have been months that I did gain 2 or 3. I have found for myself is that I don't lose a week or so before then during the week of. Usually the following week I will lose 2-5 lbs though. That has been my experience.

Eve
  • it is normal to see that fluctuate 2-4 lbs during that time of the month. so don't weigh yourself during the week before your period, and not until you are 2 - 3 days into your cycle. It's mostly water retention.

Karen
  • Same for me - anywhere from 3-5 lbs.
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    I lose about 5 lbs. I hate it because I get really excited and tell all my friends how good I'm doing. Then the day I'm done, it's all back again and I get super depressed. Then I binge a bit...
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    I use to gain 5 pounds every month. I had surgery last year and they took all that away from me. My periods had already stopped because there was a huge growth in my uterus. But it was always a 5 pound gain for me.
    Don’t let it get you down. You know what it is and you know that it will pass. Just keep on keeping on.
    :flowerforyou:
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    I flucuate anywhere from 5-7 lbs a month. It is very frustrating, but I try to watch my sodium and caffeine and at least I feel a little better that way.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    about five. I don't weight myself that week. (I only weigh once a week)

I find that if I drink a lot of extra water that helps to flush everything out. I feel less bloaty now than I used to. I really watch my sodium in general.
  • bla115
    I use to gain 5 pounds every month. I had surgery last year and they took all that away from me. My periods had already stopped because there was a huge growth in my uterus. But it was always a 5 pound gain for me.
    Don’t let it get you down. You know what it is and you know that it will pass. Just keep on keeping on.
    :flowerforyou:

You are always positive no matter what! Thanks!
  • bla115
    I lose about 5 lbs. I hate it because I get really excited and tell all my friends how good I'm doing. Then the day I'm done, it's all back again and I get super depressed. Then I binge a bit...

Exactly! Oh well at least I know I'm not alone. Defianetly taking the advice of NOT weighing during this time and making sure my water intake is up.