Magnesium for constipation

Options
Mely
Mely Posts: 166 Member
Someone on this board suggested taking magnesium supplements for constipation. While I haven't tried it, I intend to do so. It seems logical and simpler then other supplement remedies that require powders and other variations of the supplement which are hard to find. Here is an article I found on the topic (it mentions calcium as well but I'm going to start just with magnesium). BTW, it says prunes are a good source of magnesium, maybe that is why, of all the high fiber foods I've been eating, it's the only one that gets me "going". I'll keep you posted!

http://ezinearticles.com/?Using-Calcium-and-Magnesium-for-Constipation&id=40719

Replies

• Mely
    Options
    Someone on this board suggested taking magnesium supplements for constipation. While I haven't tried it, I intend to do so. It seems logical and simpler then other supplement remedies that require powders and other variations of the supplement which are hard to find. Here is an article I found on the topic (it mentions calcium as well but I'm going to start just with magnesium). BTW, it says prunes are a good source of magnesium, maybe that is why, of all the high fiber foods I've been eating, it's the only one that gets me "going". I'll keep you posted!

http://ezinearticles.com/?Using-Calcium-and-Magnesium-for-Constipation&id=40719
  • KetoCdn
    KetoCdn Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i am a regular consumer of magnesium. I have struggled with poor digestion all my life and with magnesium every day at least i now i will be able to go once if not more. I will warn you it will take a while to find a dosage that works for you. Through experimenting with what works for me i have taken one too many and had the runs all day and on the other hand taken not enough and had no action. My aunt who is also a regular user said that over time your body will even its self out with the dosage and you should eliminate in a normal manner. perhaps not as regular as suggested but you will no longer be constipated. I have found it works best to spread out the amount you are taking throughout the day to see the best results. If you have any more question feel free to ask.. i am no expert but have personal experience with it.
  • Mely
    Options
    Hi Gnomer

What dosage do you take? I read an article that said to take 400 mg in the morning & 400 mg at night. It said not to take within 2 hours of other medicines.

Do you take it every day or just when you have a problem?

As an added benefit I just read that magnesium also helps for chronic pain like fybromyalgia. I have those type of pain so I hope it will help that as well. You are supposed to take calcium with the magnesium for the muscle pain.
  • Mely
    Options
    Also - do you take tablets or some other form of magnesium?
    Which magnesium do you take? I bought Magnesium Citrate.
  • KetoCdn
    KetoCdn Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Mely, I find capsules to be the ones to take. You can buy all sorts of different dosages. 50mg, 150mg, 200 mg, even 4hundred and something by Swiss. I find the higher the dosage per pill the fewer i have to swallow which is great. As for myself i take about what you have read is suggested and i am trying to remember to take it every day. it is a matter of forming another new habit. The one you bought sounds good to me. Keep me posted with your progress, cheers
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    You can try edamame as well - it can work too well!:laugh:
  • Mely
    Options
    Mely, I find capsules to be the ones to take. You can buy all sorts of different dosages. 50mg, 150mg, 200 mg, even 4hundred and something by Swiss. I find the higher the dosage per pill the fewer i have to swallow which is great. As for myself i take about what you have read is suggested and i am trying to remember to take it every day. it is a matter of forming another new habit. The one you bought sounds good to me. Keep me posted with your progress, cheers

Here's an update (sorry for the gory details :sick:):

Took 400 mg of Magnesium Citrate yesterday mid-morning. I had one good BM and a couple smaller ones. Had a bit too much gas the rest of the day

Took 200 mg Magnesium Citrate mid evening and had the best sleep I've had in weeks. As an aside, in reading up on this topic, magnesium is highly recommended for muscle soreness and fybromyalgia type symptoms which I have so I'm killing 2 birds with one stone here :happy:

Ate my oatmeal for breakfast and immediately had another BM. I took another 200 mg and so far no movement but I already had one this morning so that's ok.