Anyone else using Spike Diet?

Options
I feel like I'm the only one. I don't know why more people haven't heard of it.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Spike-Diet-ebook/dp/B0036ZA10K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306252000&sr=8-2

I'm looking for a support group of other ladies following the plan. Or I will start one.

Replies

• SuzMac1981
    SuzMac1981 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    The creator of the book is on MFP, hopefully he will see this. I've seen him on the message boards before. Good luck!
  • tukrainets
    tukrainets Posts: 119
    Options
    what is the spike diet??
  • kacollins1970
    kacollins1970 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • Jholt47
    Jholt47 Posts: 20
    Options
    It's designed around metabolism, but it's easy to follow because every week you get a Spike Day where you can eat anything you want. I'm losing about 3lbs a week, every week.
    I'm trying to get my firend's to try it but no one wants to "diet" even though I keep telling them it's easy. I am one of those people that does a lot better when I'm not alone. I want a support group, badly.
  • SuzMac1981
    SuzMac1981 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Here is his MFP name/profile link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/russellb97
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have been on it for quite some time and went from fat to fit.
  • ADobs
    ADobs Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have been following the spike diet more or less for the past 4/5 months. I used to follow it really well when I was losing weight and now that I'm maintaining and since I've went from working out 7 times a week to now light walking 3-4 times a week, I still keep my one spike day per week. Without this spike day, I would not be able to maintain my weight. I couldn't keep going the way I was and depriving myself of chips, granola bars, sweets, etc. It's been a saviour for me. I have gained about 5 lbs in about 2 months, but that's becuase I increased my calories as I needed to gain weight. I'm now at my goal weight.

I also hate the term "diet" and prefer "lifestyle". I finally found a plan that I can maintain for the rest of my life and be happy on it because I'm not miserable and depriving myself of the things I love.

I really recommend readng the book. It's an easy and fast read and makes a lot fo sense. It's pretty cheap too.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I'm currently transitioning from carb cycling to the Spike Diet. The plans are actually quite similar so it's not a huge change. The biggest difference is that I was moderately low-carb before & the calories weren't staggered through the week. I LOVE Spike Day. I seriously live for it. <3
  • Amatullah1986
    Amatullah1986 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ok so u have a spike day once a week? But what are you supposed to do the rest of the week follow a normal calorie deficit diet??? What are the rules? I'm VERY interested!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    sort of. I'm just 1 pound from goal, but after losing the first 12 in 2 mos, I hit a plateau for 3 mos, I tried upping cals from 1 lb loss to 1/2 lb loss for 3 weeks, then to maintenance for 4 weeks, and just stayed the same the whole time. So then I tried my version of spiking, and it has made me lose 2 more pounds over the last month.

Here's what I do.

I set my weekly loss goal to 1 lb/week, activity level is very active, so that gives me 3500 deficit/week (base calories 1390). I eat this way for 6 days + exercise cals. (usually eat around 2000-2200 cals/day). On my rest day, however, I will eat up to 1200 calories over my 1390, so up to 2x BMR. (this is never exact -- I just eat as usual on that day and it's somewhere 2000-2400 cals).

That makes my real weekly deficit 3500 - spike cals, so usually around 2200-2500.

blessings.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Ok so u have a spike day once a week? But what are you supposed to do the rest of the week follow a normal calorie deficit diet??? What are the rules? I'm VERY interested!
    There are formulas in the book to calculate your intake for the other 6 days so I'm not going to type them out. If you're really interested you should buy a copy. But basically you are to incorporate 3 days weight training into your exercise routine if you don't already do it, & alternate with 3 days of some form of cardio. The weight training days are the high days where you eat at your BMR/RMR & the cardio days are low days where you eat 500 calories less. Then on the spike day you eat a minimum of twice your RMR, & you don't work out on this day because you need to ensure a calorie SURPLUS, not deficit. The spike day is the main driver in resetting your metabolism & keeping you from stalling.

On all days you want to make sure you're eating sufficient protein to preserve your muscle mass & control your appetite. I've been following a variation of this diet for close to a year. In the past 2 months alone I've dropped over 17 lbs, & I hit up happy hour every weekend & eat like a king...for 24 hrs. :)
  • ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    Does your spike day have to be the same day everyweek?
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    There are formulas in the book to calculate your intake for the other 6 days so I'm not going to type them out. If you're really interested you should buy a copy. But basically you are to incorporate 3 days weight training into your exercise routine if you don't already do it, & alternate with 3 days of some form of cardio. The weight training days are the high days where you eat at your BMR/RMR & the cardio days are low days where you eat 500 calories less. Then on the spike day you eat a minimum of twice your RMR, & you don't work out on this day because you need to ensure a calorie SURPLUS, not deficit. The spike day is the main driver in resetting your metabolism & keeping you from stalling.

On all days you want to make sure you're eating sufficient protein to preserve your muscle mass & control your appetite. I've been following a variation of this diet for close to a year. In the past 2 months alone I've dropped over 17 lbs, & I hit up happy hour every weekend & eat like a king...for 24 hrs. :)

I don't see how eating at your BMR/RMR would constitute a "high day"! Are you sure you don't confuse BMR and TDEE?
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    BUMP