Kettlebells

Options
Does anyone know how many calories burned using kettlebells. One website says 20 calories per minute (seems a lot). Thanx.

Lisa

Replies

• Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    depends what kind of workout you're having with it.
  • katie208
    katie208 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have done kettlebell circuit training in the past with a certified trainer and was burning anywhere from 925 to 1000 calories in a 1 hour session (including 5 min cool down). I weighed around 165 at the time. I would say 20 calories per minute that the kettlebell is actually in your hand sounds pretty accurate. Hope this helps!
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I would think it to be the same as using regular weights. I don't see how there could be a blanket x calories/minute without knowing the exercise. It all depends on what you are doing with them and how intense the workout. If you just curl a 5 lb kettle bell three times, it won't be anywhere near the energy expended when doing rows with a 50 lb kettle bell for 100 reps. I would treat it just like dumbbells.
  • mykaanderson
    Options
    I do an hour twice a week and I spoke to my instructor and my 497 per 60 mins she agreed was about accurate. We work our butts off in her class and I come out sweaty for sure and love it!
  • committobefit5146
    Options
    calories burned using a kettlebell varies based on the weight of the bell that you're using. If you're bell if heavy enough and you're working in the right way you can burn up to 20 calories a min (and you'll know it). A good way to tell if you're using a heavy enough bell is if your bell is the right weight you'll achieve a cardio workout as well as a strength workout. However when I am working out with a kettlebell i usually estimate 10 calories per min because I would rather underestimate than overestimate.
    hope this was helpful!
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The 20 cal / min rate has to be assuming a very high-intensity cardiovascular work-out... if you do an hour at that rate, you're talking about 1,200 calories. That's a pretty high number - in comparison, the calorie values that MFP assigns to an hour of kickboxing (incl. TurboJam) and boxing (ring, general) are 780 and 840, respectively. Both of those activities are almost purely cardio, and consume calories at a rate typically higher than strength training... I'd consider kettlebells strength training (unless you're using them as part of a aerobic routine... ie, CardioFit, etc...)

I worked out with a CrossFit trainer this weekend and did a routine called the Lumberjack 20... it consisted of deadlifts, overhead squats, kettlebell cleans, pull-ups, box jumps, 'burpees', kettlebell cleans (50lbs) and about 1,600 meters of running. It took me 42 minutes to complete, and my trainer estimated that I'd burned between 300 and 400 calories.

So I think 20 cal/ min may be generous. But, the best way to tell... get a heart monitor w/ a calorie counter and be sure!
  • mary127
    mary127 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi Lisa! Hope you like your kettlebells. When I tried to figure out the calories I looked at so many posts and googled it also. The amount I came up with was one that seemed to be around the average amount I kept seeing. So right now mine works out to about 17 calories a minute, although I think now that I just started using a heavier kettlebell it has to be more than that because it is a much more intense workout. I'm going to keep looking and see if I find more info on it. I'll let you know.
  • LisaRose54
    LisaRose54 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!
  • Aurelina
    Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump