work from home jobs??? how do I find a legitimate one?

Options
traceyrbb
traceyrbb Posts: 39 Member
Does anyone know where or how to find a legitimate work from home job? I'm nervous that most of them are scams and I don't want to be scammed. I love the MFP community and this website! I have learned so much from everyone regarding losing weight and exercising, etc. so I'm taking a chance that someone might be able to help me with this non-diet related question!

Thank you!!!! :happy:

Replies

• morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Bump...good topic =)
  • mum2littledove
    mum2littledove Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm based in the UK but I would imagine that it's the same where you are. I looked into this extensively a few years ago, after having my second child. I found a "legitimate" one i.e. not a scam as such, but the pay was so awful for the amount of time that you had to put in that it simply wasn't worth it. These companies get around the minimum wage by paying "per item" whatever that item is. In my particular case, it was sending text messages from a pc, and you got pennies per text. It wasn't as easy at it sounds, as each text had to be original and of a certain length, and you had to read a thread first before you could reply. The company claimed it was possibly to earn a certain amount doing that, but strict quality controls meant each text took longer than you thought. If you made a mistake, they confiscated your login for a bit so you couldn't earn for a few days, which was pretty sneaky.

The conclusion I came to is that if you want to work from home, it's only viable if you set up your own business doing something or other. If you work for someone else, they take advantage of the fact that there are so many people wanting to do the same, and will make you spend hours and hours and hours in front of a pc for less than £100 a month. Sad but true. The only possible exception is if you are a highly skilled salesperson and could maybe earn a bit doing Avon or something like that. Again, high earnings seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

However, lots of fantastic businesses have been set up by women in this position, you just need to think outside of the box and be confident in yourself (I'm not!).
  • laurasnyder411
    laurasnyder411 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering...where can I find more information about the job sending texts from your computer?
  • TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    bump
  • katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    Options
    I worked for Lionbridge for awhile last year as an internet assessor. Web site is here: http://en-gb.lionbridge.com/MultilingualSearch.aspx?pageid=1291&LangType=2057

They removed me from the programme a few months ago because I have another job and couldn't keep up with the minimum 10 hours per week. I enjoyed it though and it was relatively straightforward once I got to grips with how they work. The only thing I will say is that they use a very specific system and you must adhere to it. You have to pass a test when you apply and they give you material to read in advance - if you don't read the material thoroughly, you will fail, no question. I've referred a few friends to this job and they've all failed because they ignored me when I said to read the material.
  • katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    Options
    I should also say that my main job is also working from home but I'm a legal transcriptionist in the UK so you'd need to fulfil very specific criteria to qualify for it.
  • better_days_ahead
    better_days_ahead Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Working from home can take up a lot of time, start up money, and patience. I have researched into different legitimate opportunities that interest me, but I have not personally taken the risk to do any of them. The income you make really depends upon how much effort you want to put into it, if there is some sort of competition in your area, the kind of advertising you do, and so on.

Here are a few ideas. Obviously, some you have to leave your home to do, but you can basically set your own hours and do these things when it is best for you. Again, the earning potential for these companies is really up to you. Many people just do them as a side job, but some have made full time gigs out of them. Just throwing some ideas out there. :smile:

Selling Avon or Mary Kay.
    If you good at writing, you could get paid to Blog.
    Design and sell t-shirts by using cafepress.com or similar websites.
    Pampered Chef
    Candlelight
    Tupperware
    UpperCase Living
    Lia Sophia Jewelry
    UsBorne Book Representative
    If you are crafty, start up a business site on Etsy.com and sell your items.
    Sell items on Ebay.
    Thirty-One (handbags and acessories).
  • ChrissyC78
    Options
    I do at-home parties and LOVE it. I have been doing Passion Parties for a yr now...and there is so many perks:

40% in Earnings
    Cash Bonuses
    Meeting new people
    Flexible schedule
    Trips & jewelry
    ...and much more

Check it out at http://chrissyc78.yourpassionconsultant.com
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I can say that direct sales companies can work but some require a lot of work. I used to sell Pampered Chef and reached a point where I just didn't have the time for it. It's one where you need to generate new customers because most if the items are not consumable so once a customer buys something, they don't need more of it (unless of course it's spices). Pampered Chef you earn a 30% commission which is great but you do have to haul your heavy products around on top of all the paperwork and catalogs. The start up cost is also kinda high (around $100 last time I looked) and you have to submit at least $150 in order every month. In a down economy this can be more difficult. On the plus side you don't need an inventory as you do with other direct sale companies. Also, everything is shipped to the hostess so you don't have to worry about delivery.

I started selling Avon recently and let me say that compared to Pampered Chef it is much easier. I don't have to hold parties, the paperwork is less expensive, and I can earn up to a 45% comission. Also, since the products are consumeable it means repeat customers. The fact that my commission covers the cost of my own make-up is a bonus! And as a make-up addict, that can add up to a ton of savings. The start-up cost was only $10 and to stay active I only have to submit 1 order of any size and dollar amount every 2 weeks.

If you decide to go with a direct sales company do your research. Don't go with a company just because you love the products. I adore Pampered Chef products but I can't see myself ever being a consultant again. Take into consideration the time you have to dedicate, what it takes to stay active, the start-up costs, and the cost of maintaining your customer database. There are tons of GREAT direct sales companies out there from kitchen to make-up to bedroom themes. Find something where you will love the products, truly believe in them, and can invest the time needed.