Frugal Foods?

Options
HI all!

I Have a large family and we as a whole are trying to eat healthier (some are being dragged kicking and screaming..) because I am head cook and coordinator.. aka MOM. We have always lived fairly frugally and what I am finding is that things that fill the tummies (pasta, rice, hamburger, etc) are not the healthiest. And things that are better for us are often quite a bit more expensive and come in smaller quantities. I cook for a family of 6 every day! Anyone have any healthy, more frugal, ideas for snacks, meals, anything?!

Thank you all in advance!

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    The basics are my fav and as a result I spend less than $150 a month for 2 of us on food.

Chicken breast, broccoli, brown rice (or even cheaper, potatoes), apples for snacks, filling All-Bran for breakfast and strawberries with yogurt for dessert and strawberries are super cheap right now.
  • cdthom
    cdthom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    lots of summer fuits right now they are all cheap becasue they are in season and very healthy
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Purchase meats, frozen and fresh fruits and veggies that are in season as they are the ones on sale. This helps to give continuous variety.

If you want to still eat grains, fix a large crockpot of brown rice and that allows you to cook once, eat twice..........
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of stir fries: Frozen veggies, brown rice, and chicken. I make my own sauce - that way I can reduce the sodium a bit.

Here is list with a few ideas: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/cheap-healthy-15-nutritious-foods-about-2-dollars
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Hi Mama,

The price of ground turkery versus ground hamburger is almost the same--difference of pennies. That would help you and the family won't even notice the difference. Another trick that helps me is to buy salad stuff. I eat that while I am making the meal. It helps fill me and then I just have smaller portions of what Bob and the kiddo's are eating.

Hope that helps Mama! (((HUGS)))
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    I make a lot of stir fries: Frozen veggies, brown rice, and chicken. I make my own sauce - that way I can reduce the sodium a bit.

Here is list with a few ideas: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/cheap-healthy-15-nutritious-foods-about-2-dollars

I do a lot of stir-fries too! It is easy and versatile. My hubby refuses to eat those nights though and makes a sandwich instead...:grumble:

thanks for the website!
  • Gretchen22276
    Options
    Hi Mama,

The price of ground turkery versus ground hamburger is almost the same--difference of pennies. That would help you and the family won't even notice the difference. Another trick that helps me is to buy salad stuff. I eat that while I am making the meal. It helps fill me and then I just have smaller portions of what Bob and the kiddo's are eating.

The Hubs will eat ground turkey if in a burger form so I'm trying to push that but he can tell if I use it in hotdish... maybe if i go half and half?

I've been making salad a house priority! So I have veggies around all the time now and I'm excited for the summer produce to start but as I'm always thinking ahead... (sigh) I'm trying to figure out when it turns Fall and all I can pick from are brown leaf lettuce and apples.... you know?
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    My husband does most of the cooking. I stretch the food out by mixing TVP with meat for meatloafs and burgers. Healthier and cheaper. Also, I use TVP in chili and "meat" sauce spaghetti. I mix a box of whole wheat pasta and regular pasta and the kids don't even notice the difference. I did go more expensive in one area: I make all of us eat whole wheat bread with at least 2 grams of fiber per slice. I just got nature's own double fiber 100% whole wheat bread with no corn syrup. $2.49 a loaf, but no HFCS and 5 grams of fiber per slice! I am going to try stocking up when it is on sale. Also, try outlets. There is an entemann's outlet by me that sells bread and I have heard it is cheaper than the grocery store! I buy fruit whenever it is on sale.

personally, I am almost vegetarian...some meat has been sneaking into my diet, but I have cut down on it sas much as possible. I try not to eat HFCS as much as possible. Soda is a "treat" for my boys not a given and I make them drink water. Also, I told them this is the last year they get juice boxes in their lunch, they are getting water bottles from now on. Next step is to get them to use (and try not to lose) water bottles. BTW, my boys are in their teens so if you have little ones some of these tips probably won't apply.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Stir fry is a godsend, I made one last night, in fact! You can switch them up by making it with rice on the side some nights and with spaghetti noodles tossed in on others. I don't use a sauce, instead I just add low sodium soy sauce, onion powder and garlic powder while I am cooking the meat. I then throw in frozen veggies and let it simmer until done. If adding pasta, add it pre-cooked right at the end just to heat it up.

Look for fresh, seasonal veggies to add, too. Frozen is good year round. It's cheaper and it keeps longer but if you can add something fresh it helps to change things up. Last night I added some chopped cabbage (44 cents a pound) to the frozen veggies and it was great. Keep in mind that a serving of meat doesn't have to be very large if you have enough veggies to fill the void.

I grew up in a family of 6 on one income. My mom was the queen of frugal! For lunch snacks we'd get either a single bar of Nature Valley granola bars (from the pre-packaged twin packs), graham cracker and peanut butter "sandwiches" and of course, seasonal fruit.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I cook for 5- including one bottomless pit of a teenage boy! My step son is diabetic and my husban's cholesterol was less than ideal. Quite the challenge!!

We still have pasta and rice, but it's whole grain pasta/brown rice. Almost no red meat at all anymore. It's turkey burger, turkey, fish, chicken, lean cuts of pork occasionally. Meatless meals once a week (usually). I use ALOT of beans- I can then use less meat and still have plenty of protein. Especially in Mexican or Italian dishes, beans are a really good fit. Beans are very filling and very cheap. I buy frozen veggies in bulk when they are on sale. Beans the same. I go to Sam's club to buy my meat and save LOTS of money. I also buy most of my fruit and milk there as well. MUCH cheaper and the fruit is super good!

We eat a lot of oatmeal for breakfasts and snacks. I do buy the prepackaged ones as well as the big canister. Still pretty cheap! I make a granola that is lower in sugar and we have fruit, granola, and yogurt for snacks or breakfast. I'm not necessarily frugal, but want to get the best deals I can and not spend a fortune.

As far as someone in the family not eating what I prepare, it's their problem, not mine. I won't change how I cook, so they either change or find their own...or don't eat. I work very hard to make balanced, tasty, healthy meals. I do a tremendous amount of research, reading, recipe hunting to find things that meet all the needs of my family. I do try to take into consideration the likes/dislikes of people (my step son can't stand spicy food the rest of us love it- so I make the spicier recipes when he's at his mom's. But I still add spice for flavor always. He would prefer absolutely bland) but there is no way I can please everyone at every meal. I don't apologize and they don't complain.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Brown rice with beans. Add different beans and other veggies for variety but this is my staple. It's cheap and filling but ultra healthy. Sweet potatoes are another cheap, healthy filling food.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Hi Mama,

The Hubs will eat ground turkey if in a burger form so I'm trying to push that but he can tell if I use it in hotdish... maybe if i go half and half?

I've been making salad a house priority! So I have veggies around all the time now and I'm excited for the summer produce to start but as I'm always thinking ahead... (sigh) I'm trying to figure out when it turns Fall and all I can pick from are brown leaf lettuce and apples.... you know?

There is no reason to cut red meat from your eating...............You are missing out on some very essential vitamins and minerals (namely Iron) by cutting out the red meat.

Ground Turkey is no better for you than hamburger. Here is a forum that explains it better than I can (without sounding preachy)..........

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/245858-think-ground-turkey-is-better-for-you-then-ground-beef