Exercises to do while treating shin splints?

Options
Hi all!

I am an overpronater, (is that how you spell that?) and I am prone to shin splints. I had my first 5k the past weekend and I overdid it, but I expected that much. Anyways, I'm taking advil to help with inflammation, but I've read that I don't need to stop exercising. So, I'm wondering, what kind of exercises can I do to take it easy on my lower legs, but keep up my fitness? I have a gym membership, so there are lots of options.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Cycling is a pretty good one. Use your muscles without the pounding on your feet. Also, swimming, if that's available to you.
    Congrats on the 5k!!
  • Foxerlina
    Foxerlina Posts: 51
    Options
    Jeez I am the same and over pronate but I just end up cycling and easing off the running for a while. Once I feel a little better, I ease myself back into the impact with classes like aerobics :)

Generally though, just rest it up until they are gone. Maybe do some strength training as something to keep you busy? x
  • lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    Options
    Congrats on the 5k. One thing you can do to help build up the muscle around your shins, is to walk up stairs backwards. It really helps. Also, finding the right shoes will help tremendously too. I too am prone to them, but have been running for almost 2 years now, and with the correct shoes and walking the stairs backwards in the beginning, I haven't experienced shin splints for quite some time now. And I will agree with Hanna, cycling is a great low impact exercise.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I get them really bad, too!
    I've found that it mostly only happens if I'm on concrete or pavement. I live on a farm and jog around the fields and I''m perfectly fine.
    I have a bike so I'm going to try that suggestion and see if they bother me then.